Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ozfer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
New England
My mac se has system software 7.0.1. My accelerator I bought requires either 6.x or 7.1 and not 7.0.1 to run properly. I would like to continue using system 7 and not go back to system 6 since it is a 68030 and other software I want to run only works on system 7. I cannot find system 7.1 anywhere online, from apple, or any other websites. Do anyone have any disk images you could send me or upload or somehow give me. I tried contacting apple and they just tell me to go to a apple re seller and they don't support it (obviously). The only place I could find that has it for 800k disks is a website charging $30 for them :/ not really worth it...

Mac_Max

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
Last edited:
Reactions: bobesch

Ozfer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
New England
Yes please! I really need the 800k images. I don't feel like paying $30 for someone to illegally sell it to me and I would like to use 7.1 instead of 7.5.x. Also I have a mac se the 1.4MB floppies will not work in it from that website. The other site that sells it on 800k disks charges even more...

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
One nice thing is that Apple made many versions of the Macintosh System Software available 100% free, and people could freely copy and distribute it. (The idea is that the System Software was licensed regardless of version to go with the Macintosh ROM. So if you had a Mac, you were authorized to every version of the System software that Mac could run.)

So buying from Rescue My Classic Mac is perfectly legit.

Ozfer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
New England
yea

Yes and you can go on apples FTP website and see the ones they have uploaded for free. They never made system 7.1 free for some reason. They have 7.0.1 and 7.5 but no 7.1. I highly doubt a paid for upgrade that apple never released for free is legally to SELL to people. I don't feel bad about us sharing it since at this point it is pretty much abandonware...

runklebump

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2014
Rochester, MN
System 7.1 on 800k disks/images

I have a Lisa 2/Macintosh XL running 7.0.1 and I would like to update to 7.1 - The only problem is my Lisa can only handle an 800K disk drive (and that after major modification). The only way I can upgrade from 7.0.1 is to physically install it with the 7.1 800k disks - All I have are the 1.44MB disks.

Can anyone help me out? If I can get the images on a CD I'll make my 800k disks. PLEASE HELP!

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
One nice thing is that Apple made many versions of the Macintosh System Software available 100% free, and people could freely copy and distribute it.
Actually, that's not totally true. They also executed distribution licenses for system software, and distribution meant for money or not, electronically, (BBS, ftp, http, etc.).

Just because something is downloadable somewhere does not extend that same permission with it.

Are they likely to go after someone? Probably not. Have they? Sure. It's the ace in the copyright holders hand, for them to use as they see fit.

People could "freely" copy because it was authorized to be available through some pretty reliable channels.

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
I have a Lisa 2/Macintosh XL running 7.0.1 and I would like to update to 7.1 - The only problem is my Lisa can only handle an 800K disk drive (and that after major modification). The only way I can upgrade from 7.0.1 is to physically install it with the 7.1 800k disks - All I have are the 1.44MB disks.

Can anyone help me out? If I can get the images on a CD I'll make my 800k disks. PLEASE HELP!

Old school way of getting 800k floppies from 1.44MB ones. Cover the High Density Hole on your 1.44MB floppy. Format it as an 800k floppy.

Here's an old Apple Support document on the matter

----------

Actually, that's not totally true. They also executed distribution licenses for system software, and distribution meant for money or not, electronically, (BBS, ftp, http, etc.).

Just because something is downloadable somewhere does not extend that same permission with it.

Are they likely to go after someone? Probably not. Have they? Sure. It's the ace in the copyright holders hand, for them to use as they see fit.

People could "freely" copy because it was authorized to be available through some pretty reliable channels.

http://download.info.apple.com/Appl...n/Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.0.x/

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
Yup, it's downloadable.
But show me where it explicitly says "you can take this and re-distribute it", "resell it", etc.

As I said, just because it's there, does not mean "this is free you can do with it what you like". Those links sort of still work, but you can't navigate them fully anymore. The EULA is higher up in the file system.

Do I care? Not really. I'm just pointing out that statement that says "it's legitimate because it's posted", is not correct.

Also, as a side note: you can't find that link from an Apple page, but those directories are still on the server, and may eventually just disappear. The same way using the "parent directory" link does not work, you have to manually modify the URL, as top level links to download.apple.com redirect you elsewhere.

runklebump

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2014
Rochester, MN
Need 7.1 on 800K disks

Old school way of getting 800k floppies from 1.44MB ones. Cover the High Density Hole on your 1.44MB floppy. Format it as an 800k floppy.

If I 'cover the hole' the 800K drives will only see the disks as blank 800k disks that need formatting. You can't read a 1.44mb disk in an 800K drive. I don't think you understand what I'm looking for.

I need 7.1 on 800K disks or at least 800K disk images to write to 800K disks.

----------

Yup, it's downloadable.
But show me where it explicitly says "you can take this and re-distribute it", "resell it", etc.

First, I'm looking for 'System 7.1' not 'System 7.0.1'

Second, I already own System 7.1 on 1.44MB disks. I just need System 7.1 on 800K disks to be able to install it on my machine. Copyright laws are not being infringed - I have already payed for and own a license to System 7.1, I just need it in another format.

It's like owning an album and making a copy of it on tape to play in your car. This all falls under 'Fair Use' as defined in the 'Copyright Act of 1976'

Really - I don't care to have to explain the physical impossibility of 800K drives reading information off of 1.44MB disks, or argue about copyright law. I'd really just like some help getting 800K images of System 7.1

Last edited:

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Yup, it's downloadable.

As I said, just because it's there, does not mean "this is free you can do with it what you like". Those links sort of still work, but you can't navigate them fully anymore. The EULA is higher up in the file system.

Do I care? Not really. I'm just pointing out that statement that says "it's legitimate because it's posted", is not correct.

Also, as a side note: you can't find that link from an Apple page, but those directories are still on the server, and may eventually just disappear. The same way using the "parent directory" link does not work, you have to manually modify the URL, as top level links to download.apple.com redirect you elsewhere.

He isn't selling the software per se, he's selling the service of putting the data on the disk as well as for the physical disks themselves.

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
Once again, my main comment was simply countering the "freely distribute it" part, based on the presence of the software on the site.

Interestingly, they never reverted on 8.0 and higher, and only added 7.5.x into the downloads due to backing themselves into a corner support commitment wise.

AmestrisXServe

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2014
If I 'cover the hole' the 800K drives will only see the disks as blank 800k disks that need formatting. You can't read a 1.44mb disk in an 800K drive. I don't think you understand what I'm looking for.

I need 7.1 on 800K disks or at least 800K disk images to write to 800K disks.

----------

First, I'm looking for 'System 7.1' not 'System 7.0.1'

Second, I already own System 7.1 on 1.44MB disks. I just need System 7.1 on 800K disks to be able to install it on my machine. Copyright laws are not being infringed - I have already payed for and own a license to System 7.1, I just need it in another format.

It's like owning an album and making a copy of it on tape to play in your car. This all falls under 'Fair Use' as defined in the 'Copyright Act of 1976'

Really - I don't care to have to explain the physical impossibility of 800K drives reading information off of 1.44MB disks, or argue about copyright law. I'd really just like some help getting 800K images of System 7.1

In reality, you don't need anything.

Install 7.1 on anything, even in an emulator, and then copy the files that it installs onto 800K disks, and copy those files onto your Profile/Widget.

(I believe that 7.1 required MacXL+ from SunRem.)

7.1 was never released on 800K disks: It came on 1440K Disks, and on CD. My copy was the CD version, which may have had the 1440K images on it, but to my knowledge, no legitimate 800K version was ever released; 7.0 was the last 800K release.

(I take that back, it was the last release on 800K, but pretty unusual to find it in that format.)

I went through my local archive, and I can't find 7.1 in it, so I can't make you an install set, but you have all that you need to make it work.

The reason that you don't see 7.1 on-line is that System 7 was excluded from the old distribution policies, where a dealer could give away disks, and all Mac owners were entitled to the OS. Keep in mind that System 7 was an 'upgrade', and optional, at the time.

Apple later placed 7.0, 7.0.1, and 7.5.3 on their FTP servers, but never put 7.1, or 7.6 up, as both were also 'optional upgrades', and not required to run the systems. (7.0/7.0.1 and 7.5.3 were required for some series of Macs as a base OS.)

I may be able to find 7.1 and 7.6, etc., but it won;t be overnight. I have a binder with every release of MacOS from the 128, through to Mac OS X Server (ca. 2000), and I won't be imaging them in a hurry.

In the meanwhile, for anyone who needs it, here is what I have on hand (including Lisa disk images, and DART and Disk Copy (image tools) for System 6 and System 7.

P.S. This, mates, is why not to use MediaFire, or similar sites, for anything important:
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macintosh-os-71x

Mirror everything.

If anyone has any MacOS disk images as follows handy, i can add them to that archive for easy access.
The archive is missing:
MacOS v5 (all)
System 6: Initial Release 6.0; 6.0.1, 6.0.7, 6.0.8L; Multifinder Disk
System 7: 7.1, 7.1PX 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.1.3 (last 7.1.x), 7.5, 7.5.1, 7.5.2, 7.5.5, 7.6, 7.6.1
System 8: 8.0, 8.1, 8.5, 8.6
System 9: 9.0, 9.0.1, 9.1, 9.2, 9.2.1, 9.2.2
GS/OS

Update: Try these:
http://timelord.insomnia247.nl/MacOS_7.1_800K/

That is a 7.1b7 800K set, plus 7.1.3 Finder. I will go through my archives more closely tomorrow, and try to sort out every file, and organise them all.

Once you have 7.1b7 installed, you should be able to do a simple copy and replace, if needed, using 7.1 files (System, Finder, Extensions, etc.), and then you can try Finder 7.1.3, if you wish.

As an alternative, you can copy files from the standard 7.1 disks to the 7.1b7 disks, except for the Installer programme, and then run the Installer, which should use the newer files. That will give you 7.1 800K master disks, which I don't seem to have. (I found the 1440K disk images.)

P.S. I don't recall how horribly tedious it is to set up Appletalk using a Lisa, but that image set includes 7.1.1 Netinstall. You should be able to use the serial port to install it...

I should also point out that, for versios of 7.1.x that support PPC, the files are in FAT format, which means they will eat up space on your Profile/Widget, unless you own one of those SunRem SCSI kits for your Lisa, or the CF converter.

Either way, the links above will give you 7.1.x.

Last edited:

AmestrisXServe

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2014
Did you have any luck with the images I sent? Just wondering how it is going.

I could use the correct 800K images for 7.1 to add to the archive, if you would also send those to me. (I should have a rather comprehensive archive on-line in a few days.)

DZ/015

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2003
New England
I could use the correct 800K images for 7.1 to add to the archive, if you would also send those to me. (I should have a rather comprehensive archive on-line in a few days.)

Just pm me an email address. I'll try to get the entire multi language cd on Dropbox by the weekend.

Jpa1013

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2019
My mac se has system software 7.0.1. My accelerator I bought requires either 6.x or 7.1 and not 7.0.1 to run properly. I would like to continue using system 7 and not go back to system 6 since it is a 68030 and other software I want to run only works on system 7. I cannot find system 7.1 anywhere online, from apple, or any other websites. Do anyone have any disk images you could send me or upload or somehow give me. I tried contacting apple and they just tell me to go to a apple re seller and they don't support it (obviously). The only place I could find that has it for 800k disks is a website charging $30 for them :/ not really worth it...
[doublepost=1565363964][/doublepost]I just found 5 mac system 7.1 discs if you want them reply asap

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
He isn't selling the software per se, he's selling the service of putting the data on the disk as well as for the physical disks themselves.
Yep, you're right! That's an honest guy, not claiming to sell software, but floppy-drives and his time spent to create them bootable floppies, getting stuff wrapped and shipped ...
If that price seems to high, anyone can feel free to get and install his own floppies by using download-links at MacintoshGarden, Macintosh Repository or somewhere else ... Well, but that's not a drive-by thing!
(Ups, I just noticed, that this thread is 6y old - but nevertheless things are still up-to-date... and I'm glad, that I followd the link to http://rescuemyclassicmac.com/buyadisk/buyadisk.html, since I found some help on that guy's other site, which maybe will help me on my attempts to connect a 68k Macintosh Classic to my G3/G4-PPC-Macs ...)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.