Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeffreyVB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2019
Va Beach, VA
Looking for messenger bag recommendations for an iPad 11. Looking for something smaller/more compact that a laptop messenger bag, but still has room for an 11 Pro with a Smart Keyboard, pencil, charger, cable, hub, and external HD.

What are you guys using?

Reactions: DaytonAnnie

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
The Timbuk2 Classic Messenger in size XS

Reactions: arc of the universe

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Looking for something smaller/more compact that a laptop messenger bag

I have several Timbuk2 bags...all are well designed and built to last (be sure to check out their custom bag program).

Another favorite–yes, I'm a bag addict–is Red Oxx. This model works well with my iPad Air 5th Generation + Magic Keyboard + accessories:

Both Red Oxx and Timbuk2 have lifetime warranty programs that help offset their relatively high initial cost.

----------
ETA: I see a lot of posts here are about "vertical" bags. If you don't care that much about the traditional messenger bag shape and you want a good set of security features, Pacsafe's Metrosafe series is a good choice. I have an older Metrosafe 200 that fits my iPad Air setup well. I've had the bag for years and it has been all over the world with me, mostly as a camera bag.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaytonAnnie

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
I have this one for my iPad Pro 11. I got the 13 inch. Nice and slim, and it's the perfect size. $22.00 at Amazon.

IMG_3299.jpg
IMG_3300.jpg
IMG_3301.jpg

@JeffreyVB

Last edited:

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Is there any bag that attaches to your pants or belt ? Doubt that is possible but was wondering.

ejb190

macrumors 65816
I am looking for a field bag for an iPad and a little bit of additional equipment (phone, hand lenses, vials, flagging tape, pocket knife, other useful junk). I really like the fitdom CB-1 and the Wowelife Small Canvas Tactical Bag (on Amazon), but neither of these bags are big enough to hold an iPad (8th Gen) in an Otterbox with enough space to easily pull it out and replace it.

Where do you even start looking for something like this? It seems like the perfect product should exist!

ejb190

macrumors 65816
Try searching on "messenger bag for ipad".
Trust me, I have. I've done every permutation of a Google Search you can think of. I've looked at tactical supply stores. I've looked at luggage companies. I've read reviews. I've looked at too many crappy photos and bad descriptions that don't offer dimensions. Often all I want to know is if my iPad will fit. I love the ones that say it will carry an iPad then the dimensions are obviously too small.

I'd love to find a brick and mortar where I could try things out. But barring that, I was hoping to use y'all's collective experience to point me in a good direction. And I guess I wasn't really clear with my question. Sorry about that.

I just found cargo-works.com, which looks promising (despite being out of stock). Any other ideas?

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
other ideas

I'm a bag addict, so here are some bag makers and their main benefits–IMHO– based on experience...
  • Built-to-last forever + generous warranty + great customer service: Red Oxx
  • Anti-theft features: Pacsafe
  • Form over function: Côte & Ciel (trivia: founders designed the iPod sock and made some Apple Store exclusive MacBook backpacks in the past)
  • Function over form + lifetime warranty: Outdoor Research
  • Organization + generous warranty: Timbuk2 (plus they offer a cool customization program for several bags)
  • Outdoors-centered design + reliability + lifetime warranty: Deuter
  • Organization + innovative features: Mystery Ranch
  • Blend of interesting colors/materials and functionality + lifetime warranty: Topo Designs

Last edited:

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Not sure what to pick so many. Please help if possible.

I would like a lot of little organized spots too in it if possible. For earphones, etc

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Maybe you make your mind up by at least providing more details on use case and form factor. Any bag or backpack with a small notebook compartment would work - and there are millions.

Personally I have a cheap compact no name backpack for short flights, a big computer bag that has traveled the world and a Thinktank retrospective photo bag.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Maybe you make your mind up by at least providing more details on use case and form factor. Any bag or backpack with a small notebook compartment would work - and there are millions.

Personally I have a cheap compact no name backpack for short flights, a big computer bag that has traveled the world and a Thinktank retrospective photo bag.

Sure.

Going out and about to stores and restaurants.

Need room for iPad Pro 11 inch as the biggest item. Would like extra compartments or organization in it for smaller items.

I want it to look pretty good/cool too if possible.

Do any attach to my belt ?

twdawson

macrumors 6502a
I got this one from Amazon a few years ago. The brand on it is ”Augur” and holds my iPad, portable hard drive and all chargers and cables with ease. There will be enough space left for a keyboard easily.

my iPad 10 is pictured on top of it for scale. It can also carry my MacBook Air but not at the same time as the iPad.
4FB3221E-9569-462C-B5EC-6F5AFADFA1C1.jpeg
6D754999-E32A-424C-A5C9-1553FDA0938B.jpeg

Reactions: ericwn

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Sure.

Going out and about to stores and restaurants.

Need room for iPad Pro 11 inch as the biggest item. Would like extra compartments or organization in it for smaller items.

I want it to look pretty good/cool too if possible.

Do any attach to my belt ?
Can you imagine attaching an 11” iPad to your belt and then add padding of a bag etc and look anywhere close to good or cool? Belt carrying things has been exclusively claimed by US seniors and will always be their thing. Hope you find some inspiration.

• Haha
Reactions: Surfsalot and max2

arfung

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2015
This sling is perfectly sized for the iPP 11 and I can carry a Magic Keyboard also:

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
It looks good but how do you hold a sling so it does not look like a purse ?

ejb190

macrumors 65816
I finally ended up with the EDC Sling from Cargo Works.

Pretty happy with it. I need to find a couple of small Molle pouches to attach to the outside and it will be perfect!

Reactions: max2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.