Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nesiah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
Hi all,

New member here. I'm looking to purchase my first apple iPad. (been strictly android for 10 years)

Im really struggling with which ipad to get, so much so that I've missed all the sales and will now probably wait until new year sales.

Here are the things I'll want / use it for

Apple pencil
Lightweight
General browsing and YouTube
Playing mp4s (movies TV shows)
Very light gaming
Watching things in bed laying down
Camera of little importance
No need for cellular
No more than 64gb required
Max £500 budget

As far as I can tell, my options are the ipad 2019, air 2019, or pro 10.2.

Please help me choose and en

Thanks

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Any current iPad can help you with these tasks. I’d look at the entry level 10.2 or the Air 3. Apples has extended return periods over the holidays. It’s plenty time to test the closest contender for a little while.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Hi all,

New member here. I'm looking to purchase my first apple iPad. (been strictly android for 10 years)

Im really struggling with which ipad to get, so much so that I've missed all the sales and will now probably wait until new year sales.

Apple pencil
Lightweight
Very light gaming
No need for cellular
Max £500 budget

Thanks

With these needs, you should go with no doubt for the basic iPad 2019 (10.2). =)

Reactions: Nesiah

Nesiah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
Thanks for the comments. I've narrowed it down to the ipad air 2019 (3rd gen) or ipad 2019 (7th gen)

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
I agree with @BootLoxes , the Air 3 will give the best experience for longer. It also has a laminated screen so drawing with the pencil will be nicer than the 7th Gen.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Assuming you're looking at the £449 iPad 10.2" 128GB and £479 iPad Air 3 64GB, I vote for the Air 3.

I own both and for the tasks you mentioned (bar gaming), you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference unless making side by side comparisons. The Air's just a nicer device overall, though. Well worth the £30 difference in this case.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
As far as I can tell, my options are the

1. ipad 2019 = YES
2. air 2019 = NO ( niche market, glass repair cost is insane )
3. pro 10.2 = NO ( obsolete, white dot syndrome, glass repair cost is insane )

Please help me choose...
I've had ever iteration of iPad and get a pencil with each one since it has been available.
Currently have/carry iPad11 with Pencil2. I use the pencil far less than I would like. Just so much easier to point with a finger, even though the pencil is just a magnetic reach away. I only use the pencil for quick project comps when a really great idea ( at the time ) pops in my head. Typically complete comp with something more powerful like Figma, so even that use is rare. Wife is a traditional artist ( oils ) and only uses the pencil for art sketches.

The laminated screen writing / drawing argument is only valid for true digital artists. Normal people will not even notice or use it enough to notice.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
Hi all,

Apple pencil
Lightweight
Very light gaming
No need for cellular
Max £500 budget

Thanks

What screen size do you prefer? 7.9" (iPad mini) or regular 9.7"/10.2"/10.5" (would recommend regular size)

Options you have:

iPad 10.2" 32 GB or 128 GB (entry-level)

iPad Air 10.5" 64 GB (more advanced, CPU, display etc)

iPad mini 5 7.9" 64 GB (same as Air 10.5", but smaller size)

Also look into the 2nd gen iPad Pro 10.5", it's a bit older though but still a great device.

All with Wi-Fi, all are below or close to £500.

The regular 10.2" iPad should be enough for your purpose, but if you can get the 64 GB iPad Air 10.5". Better and Longer-Lasting Chip + Display + Camera etc...

Also: https://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/compare/

Last edited:

emembee

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Surrey,UK
There are great offers for 10.5 pro if you look around, try John Lewis in store if you can. Still a great iPad.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
John Lewis currently have the Air 3 64GB for £449, so that's about £30 off the MSRP, plus you get their two year guarantee. With the Apple Pencil at £89 brings the total to just over your budget - £538. The 128GB 10.2" is £409, so it's up to you, but I'd probably say the Air is worth it for the laminated display if you're going to be using the pencil for artistry.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I would probably go for the air 3, unless you foresee needing extra storage space nexuses unlike android tablets tou can’t expand the memory. The 10.2 inch entry level iPad would be sufficient for your needs but the iPad Air 3 will last longer as it has a newer chip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.