Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple products have largely escaped the tariffs imposed on goods manufactured in China, but since earlier this year, Apple accessories like power adapters, cables, and cases have been subject to a 10 percent fee.

As noted by The Verge, the United States on Friday raised import taxes from 10 percent to 25 percent, a tax increase that's going to impact these Apple accessories.

18w-usb-c-power-adapter-apple.jpeg

Thus far, Apple and its suppliers have absorbed the additional 10 percent fee on Apple accessories and prices have not gone up, but with tariffs now at 25 percent, it's not yet clear if Apple will continue to eat the extra cost.

Apple may be making enough money to continue to sell its accessories at a normal cost, and as The Verge points out, it could have shifted manufacturing to different countries to avoid the fees all together. Apple has not commented on the extra tariffs at this point in time.

China today retaliated and announced increased tariffs on $60 billion in U.S. goods, which will take effect in June. China will be introducing import fees on petrochemicals, soy oil, peanut oil, and more.

Apple CEO Tim Cook last July said that Apple is hoping "calm heads prevail" and that the company is "optimistic" the tariff issue will be sorted out. That hasn't happened yet, but so far, the bulk of Apple products continue to be unaffected.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Tariff on Apple Chargers and Cases Jumps, Now at 25%

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Tariffs are on the imported price of goods, not wholesale or retail. That charger may retail for $20, but only cost $1 off the boat. If duty on this $1 charger goes up to 25%, that could be just .25¢ But, will wholesalers and retailers along the chain mark this up exponentially? Does that tariff actually raise the retail price by 25% or .25¢?

Vanilla Ice

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2011
Los Angeles
Yea I’m sure it’s as “Genuine” as the USB-C to lightning cord I bought for $9.99 that stopped working a month later. With free shipping too!

If you want an apple product, the price should be the least of your worries. Over priced as is so why complain? It’s not Trumps problem to begin with, it’s Apple... Btw, the charger I found is the real deal. $12.99 otd.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Trump needs to stick to his guns. Tired of China ripping us off.

I don't think they are ripping us off. One is free to pay more for a local charger ;) The real person ripping us off now is Trump and the government as you will pay more to the government now. China was passing on the savings to us and Trump along with the government wanted a bigger cut out of it. I wonder what a charger would cost to have made in the US at say $15-17 per hour for each employee.
[doublepost=1557797784][/doublepost]
If you want an apple product, the price should be the least of your worries. Over priced as is so why complain? It’s not Trumps problem to begin with, it’s Apple... Btw, the charger I found is the real deal. $12.99 otd.

Was the charger you found and bought made in the US?

Last edited:

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Trump needs to stick to his guns. Tired of China ripping us off.

Oh please, everyone does it. Do you really think America is above industrial espionage??

Even at the corporate level, how do you think most companies “innovate”? How do you think Windows and Android came about?

America had its day and it was only a matter of time before another country surpassed it, and it will most likely be China because it has the numbers. And at some point, if humanity is around long enough, some other country will surpass China. Just the way it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.