Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Citizen Cook

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2017
I’m a bit confused. I have an LG sound bar+speakers. Soundbar is connected to the TV via the Arc HDMI imput. Audio format on the apple tv is Auto, atmos Available, and audio output has TV speakers as default (can’t seem to change this) and temporary audio output is LG speaker SP11RA (sound bar.
Sound seems better when I enable the sound bar as temporary, but i have to do this each and every time i turn the apple tv on from sleep. Also, my sub woofer doesn’t emit sound.
When enabled the soundbar display reads Wi-Fi, when disabled as temp it reads arc.
I’m just very confused about what settings i should use and how the system works exactly.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
There's a lot here but I'll take a crack at helping you:
  • Soundbar shouldn't be plugged into any HDMI jack but one marked Arc or eARC. For example, in this setup, soundbar must be connected to HDMI2 (eARC) jack (your ARC or eARC may be on a different HDMI jack)...
HDMIeARC.jpg

• For many TVs using eArc or Arc, the choice of speakers will not show as TV Speakers but as the LG Soundbar itself. "TV Speakers" usually means the speakers built inside the TV case. This is mostly what makes me suspect you do not have bar plugged into in Arc or eArc port. Recheck that.
  • You need to be sure CEC is turned on to support it in the TV menu and in AppleTV. These are not typically all turned on as default. So look through your TV menus and turn on CEC (some brands of TV call it other things like Anynet)... and sometimes need a one-time process executed to make first contact.
  • Even after you get that turned on, you might have to go into the Audio menu and choose the soundbar instead of TV Speakers too. Some systems will let people use both, so you need to be clear what speaker you want to use. In general, BOTH is not a good idea as TV speakers are typically AWFUL speakers.
  • The (wireless?) Sub probably needs to be paired with the Soundbar. So get the Soundbar working with the TV + AppleTV first and then read the manual for the soundbar to pair the Sub. This usually involves pushing a button on the Sub, a light starts flashing and doing something on the soundbar to basically establish the link. Sometimes this is done through an app for the bar. The manual should spell this out.
  • LGSP11RA appears to have 2 surround sound speakers too. If so, these are probably connected by wire to terminals on the Sub. If they are not yet connected, connect them to the Sub if that's how this system works. Again, check your manual for getting both surround sound speakers connected.
  • When enabled showing wifi, it sounds like it is either at a point where it wants access to your wifi network or you have it in a wifi mode instead of Arc mode. This makes me think CEC is probably not turned on in your TV. I'm going to guess it is going through a setup sequence and you probably need an app to configure it... and at this stage it wants to connect to wifi from which it can download any firmware updates and possibly stream from various sources of music.
Look in your TV manual for how to turn on CEC (or Anynet or whatever you TV brand may call CEC).

Once bar is working (automatically) as TV sound, look in your bar manual for how to pair with Sub.

If the manual says you need an app, download the app and use it to help you.

Last edited:

Citizen Cook

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2017
There's a lot here but I'll take a crack at helping you:
  • Soundbar shouldn't be plugged into any HDMI jack but one marked Arc or eARC. For example, in this setup, soundbar must be connected to HDMI2 (eARC) jack (your ARC or eARC may be on a different HDMI jack)...
View attachment 2310951
  • For many TVs using eArc or Arc, the choice of speakers will not show as TV Speakers but as the LG Soundbar itself. "TV Speakers" usually means the speakers built inside the TV case. This is mostly what makes me suspect you do not have bar plugged into in Arc or eArc port. Recheck that.
  • You need to be sure CEC is turned on to support it in the TV menu and in AppleTV. These are not typically all turned on as default. So look through your TV menus and turn on CEC (some brands of TV call it other things like Anynet)... and sometimes need a one-time process executed to make first contact.
  • Even after you get that turned on, you might have to go into the Audio menu and choose the soundbar instead of TV Speakers too. Some systems will let people use both, so you need to be clear what speaker you want to use. In general, BOTH is not a good idea as TV speakers are typically AWFUL speakers.
  • The (wireless?) Sub probably needs to be paired with the Soundbar. So get the Soundbar working with the TV + AppleTV first and then read the manual for the soundbar to pair the Sub. This usually involves pushing a button on the Sub, a light starts flashing and doing something on the soundbar to basically establish the link. Sometimes this is done through an app for the bar. The manual should spell this out.
  • LGSP11RA appears to have 2 surround sound speakers too. If so, these are probably connected by wire to terminals on the Sub. If they are not yet connected, connect them to the Sub if that's how this system works. Again, check your manual for getting both surround sound speakers connected.
  • When enabled showing wifi, it sounds like it is either at a point where it wants access to your wifi network or you have it in a wifi mode instead of Arc mode. This makes me think CEC is probably not turned on in your TV. I'm going to guess it is going through a setup sequence and you probably need an app to configure it... and at this stage it wants to connect to wifi from which it can download any firmware updates and possibly stream from various sources of music.
Look in your TV manual for how to turn on CEC (or Anynet or whatever you TV brand may call CEC).

Once bar is working (automatically) as TV sound, look in your bar manual for how to pair with Sub.

If the manual says you need an app, download the app and use it to help you.
I definitely have my hdmi cable plugged into the eArc port on my TV. Initially I had it routed through the Apple TV, which is what my soundbar instructions recommended but it obviously didn’t work.
My TV is an LG C1, btw. I’ll look for CEC setting…

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
On LG, it is probably Settings (menu), Devices, HDMI Settings, SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC), "ON"

You might also have to go back into Settings, Connections, Device Connection Settings, Auto Power Sync, "ON"

AND you MIGHT have to go into the Audio menu, Speakers, to choose the Soundbar or HDMI ARC, instead of "TV Speakers" (or it may auto detect and choose Soundbar or HDMI ARC).

Key info from the Soundbar manual: "Connect to power in the following order:
  1. wireless subwoofer
  2. wireless rear speakers
  3. sound bar.
Then, turn on the sound bar. When the connection is automatically established with the sound bar, the LEDs on the wireless subwoofer and wireless rear speakers will light up in green."

This schedule of powering them up likely triggers establishing the link to the soundbar. If that doesn't succeed, try the manual connection steps described on Page 4 of the manual.

Page 31 of the manual shows a graphic of the HDMI cable connection. Sometimes people get confused by seeing HDMI OUT (eARC), resulting in them connecting to eARC on their TV but then into either HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 on the soundbar (because OUT doesn't seem to mean IN). However, even though it is marked OUT, that "out" is overridden when you use eARC. In short: ignore the OUT reference if connecting from TV eARC to Soundbar HDMI (TV eARC/ARC).

If that doesn't do it, check your AppleTV settings next. Not working when soundbar was directly connected to AppleTV (I presume you mean AppleTV HDMI cable to Soundbar HDMI (1 or 2) IN, Soundbar HDMI OUT to TV) makes me imagine that your AppleTV CEC settings might not be ON.

And again, some of your references about the soundbar itself makes me believe it probably has an app to help set it up... and it may need to be connected to wifi (through an app) to update firmware, etc. Be sure to check the "setup" guide in that set of instructions. The soundbar instructions on page 3 reference the LG Sound Bar App. It's not clear that you MUST use this app (and some reviews make me believe you do not) but it may play a role in setting up, downloading any updates, etc.

Page 19 in the manual shows words that can appear in the Status Display on the bar. You were seeing "Wifi" which is what shows when it is connecting/using wifi. Another mode is OPT/HDMI ARC. It's likely THAT's the one that needs to be showing for your eARC connection to work. Other options include BT (Bluetooth), HDMI 1 & HDMI 2 (if you connected things directly to the soundbar) and USB. Pressing the "FUNCTION" button on the soundbar appears to shift through these modes and you probably want to press it until OPT/HDMI ARC (or maybe just HDMI ARC) is showing there. Anything else and the Soundbar is in the wrong mode.

Last edited:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
arc should be available with or without CEC (Simplink) being on.

does the audio output not let you choose HDMI-ARC?

you might try power cycling both the TV and the sound bar, or unplugging and replugging both ends of the HDMI cable. this makes sure the cables are seated firmly, as well as forcing the devices to re-do their handshake.

Citizen Cook

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2017
So under sound i have clear voice pro selected.
Sound out is HDMI (arc)

Under advanced settings i have dolby atmos selected
Automatic volume adjustment is selected
DTV is auto is selected
sound bar mode control is selected
Digital sound output pcm
eArc support

On apple tv audio format is auto, atmos available
Audio output is tv speakers
Temporary audio output is Receiver speakers.

If i select LG soundbar as the temporary speaker and deselect tv speakers as default the sound is louder, richer and clearer. But when the Apple tv is out into sleep mode the box resets those settings.

I couldn’t find CEC or simplink anywhere.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
That last line is likely key. Did you look for CEC and/or SIMPLINK in the TV’s manual? There will certainly be something about it on LG TV menus and thus instructions on using it in the manual.

If you don’t have the manual, a digital version is very likely available on the LG website.

Here's some information that includes a screenshot showing where you select Audio Out (Optical/HDMI Arc) in the LG TV "enabling eArc feature" menu. Of course, your specific LG TV may organize its menu options a little differently than this one picture and/or even name some of the items differently.

I do not have LG TV or Soundbar but I see the references to that app in information. Perhaps you need the app for at least initial setup? I have a brand of soundbar that absolutely needed the companion app used for initial setup (and not once since). Did you check the manual to see if you do? And if so, did you use the app to help you get it set up?

I see a reference to not "hot swapping" cable connections while devices are on. In other words, have TV and Bar turned off when connecting the cables. Perhaps they then auto-communicate with each other when both are turned on again to connect with each other? Most people would "hot swap" and not think a thing about it. Maybe this is the issue... or one of them?

Another option: if you bought any of your stuff locally- like maybe from Best Buy or similar- contact them and ask for a tech visit to help you get this set up and working. For a relatively small fee, someone will come in and get it all working for you. This will be much more helpful than seeking help from strangers on the Internet. There are many variables in play here- including something as simple as the quality of the HDMI cables you are using (all HDMI cables are not created equal, and our very natural tendency to shop around and buy cheaper/cheapest cables can work against success here).

If you purchased it all from online sources, check local A/V shops for those who will make a house call to get parts like this working together. Someone will certainly do it for probably less than $200... maybe less than $100.

Since you have both an LG TV and LG soundbar, they should easily work together. There are countless numbers of AppleTV users with LG TVs (and probably LG soundbars too), so there's nothing odd/weird about that link in the chain. So, your issues are likely in any of the below:
  1. Set up steps (turning things on in menus), following some specific order of setup as recommended in the manuals, etc.
  2. potential firmware update in new soundbar,
  3. potential need to use the app for initial setup,
  4. insufficient quality of either HDMI cable (from AppleTV to TV, from TV to Soundbar)
  5. possibly addressing all of the above and need to power cycle 1+ of the devices
  6. some link in the chain is defective: AppleTV, LG Bar, LG TV
My own stranger-at-a-distance guesses are also prioritized in that order. But the easiest/fastest remedy may be to spend a few bucks to bring in someone good at this sort of thing and let them work through the steps to get it all working together... the so called Geek (squad)/Nerd/AV Tech/etc. It very well might be one thing (one menu setting, an app process (like just connecting bar to wifi), a new cable, etc) and then it all relatively "just works."

I fully get you would like to DIY, but there are many variables and key to resolving these kinds of problems does tend to involve some tech detective work to narrow in on the source of the problem and then address it there. Someone who does this for a living is going to have a quick brain at the detective work, easily ruling IN/OUT #6, swapping in cables for #4 known to work to rule in/out the ones you are using, etc. They can sub in one other component known to work to rule out issues and settings in AppleTV. A portable TV subbing in for your LG TV can isolate the issue to your TV. Temporary direct connection to Soundbar can confirm that CEC is working fine there. If the Soundbar app is necessary for setup, they will know that. Etc.

My own first guess continues to be a setting(s) in your TV menus needs to be made, possibly only the one shown in the picture at the link referenced earlier. But whether that sticks after AppleTV sleep or not is key... so it could be another setting or three or cable or app need or process, etc.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.