Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
This works on SL... Anything you can run on Tiger x86 should also run on Snow Leopard.
However I can personally confirm that TFF DOES work on SL. I was using it for months on a Core Duo iMac.

I'm well aware of all those. Commenting on a new Intel browser doesn't imply a lack of awareness of others. I'm confused.

Where this is an obtuse remark, please call me on it:

Quite practically every Intel Mac made for Tiger also runs Snow Leopard natively. They’re the Xeons, Core Solos, Core Duos and Core 2 Duos. I’m not clear how the browser’s code would need to vary dramatically between a build optimized for Intel Tiger versus a build optimized for Snow Leopard.

Is anyone able to elaborate on the technical fundamentals between these two approaches?

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
Where this is an obtuse remark, please call me on it:

Quite practically every Intel Mac made for Tiger also runs Snow Leopard natively. They’re the Xeons, Core Solos, Core Duos and Core 2 Duos. I’m not clear how the browser’s code would need to vary dramatically between a build optimized for Intel Tiger versus a build optimized for Snow Leopard.

Is anyone able to elaborate on the technical fundamentals between these two approaches?

I'm no developer, but the main differences would be that Leopard and Snow Leopard are reliant on sand boxing to a large degree, and Tiger optimized apps wouldn't be. While this is mostly relevant with security... it's also a fundamental part of how apps are run within the OS.

I'm no developer, but the main differences would be that Leopard and Snow Leopard are reliant on sand boxing to a large degree, and Tiger optimized apps wouldn't be. While this is mostly relevant with security... it's also a fundamental part of how apps are run within the OS.

If this were a material factor in the functioning of the browser, wouldn’t there also be a need for TFF PPC builds for each of Tiger and Leopard for each of the processor architectures of G4 and G5?

Reactions: z970

XaPHER

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
@B S Magnet The Ten*Fox names imply the minimum OS version, but meanwhile the browser itself fundamentally remains consistent. It's more about OS and much less CPU features (with a few exceptions of course). Each 'flavour' is built against its matching SDK (10.5, 10.6, 10.4) and can be run on a later OS X version since a Mac OS X version usually fulfills runtime system dependencies for software compiled against earlier SDKs. Different SDKs will influence how OS-integration code is built (what system-level routine to call, enable/disable feature support, use/not use shim code for missing OS feature, etc.) and that's most of it.

10.5 and 10.6 are likely to have more solid threads support, but from an overview there are few browser features disabled from changing SDKs, (webGL can't work with 10.4, while 10.5 supports openGL 2 which makes it a possibility) and the security/sandboxing model will remain consistent within the browser.

My answer is still pretty broad, but hopefully can still help. You probably want to look at this https://github.com/OlgaTPark/tenfourfox/wiki/en-Differences-with-Firefox

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
If this were a material factor in the functioning of the browser, wouldn’t there also be a need for TFF PPC builds for each of Tiger and Leopard for each of the processor architectures of G4 and G5?

I'm pretty sure TenFourFox would be much faster on Leopard if it were specifically built to take advantage of its available underlying technologies, as a TenFiveFox.

Remember AuroraFox, for example?

I'm pretty sure TenFourFox would be much faster on Leopard if it were specifically built to take advantage of its available underlying technologies, as a TenFiveFox.

Remember AuroraFox, for example?

Admittedly I use the G5 build for TFF on my G5 tower as my default/routine browser, even in light of IceWeasel-PPC and ArcticFox-PPC being available. I mean, if there were a TenFiveFox for G5 processors out there, I’d switch to it in a minute. For the PowerBook G4, I’ve been rotating between all three.

Reactions: z970 and netsrot39

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Admittedly I use the G5 build for TFF on my G5 tower as my default/routine browser, even in light of IceWeasel-PPC and ArcticFox-PPC being available. I mean, if there were a TenFiveFox for G5 processors out there, I’d switch to it in a minute. For the PowerBook G4, I’ve been rotating between all three.

I get you.

All I'd like to see is a slimmed and tuned OS-specific TenFourFox, which I have a feeling we'll be seeing after the last version rolls out, likely this year or next year.

I get you.

All I'd like to see is a slimmed and tuned OS-specific TenFourFox, which I have a feeling we'll be seeing after the last version rolls out, likely this year or next year.

OK, but do you expect it be maintained with security updates?
Nope.

That was Dr. Kaiser's job, and once that's over, that'll be it. Most likely.

Afterward, it's tweak city by the community.

Ah. Okay. ::deflated tone of voice::

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Call me insane if you wish, but I've secretly considered going back to Tiger on Intel as my main OS more than once. I just plain love its UI, and running on Intel would mean getting great performance as well as the ability to virtualise (more) modern OSes. Having a somwhat up-to-date browser would be crucial though.

OK, I'll stop pipe-dreaming now.

Reactions: z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Call me insane if you wish, but I've secretly considered going back to Tiger on Intel as my main OS more than once. I just plain love its UI, and running on Intel would mean getting great performance as well as the ability to virtualise (more) modern OSes. Having a somwhat up-to-date browser would be crucial though.

OK, I'll stop pipe-dreaming now.

On early Intels, why rely on Snow Leopard for everything when you can dual boot between Tiger for offline applications (software, complete with environment of the time, like a total time capsule) and use Mountain Lion for online applications (web browsers, email clients, instant messengers), with better support + newer technologies to boot.

Hell, slap in an install of Debian 10, and you've got yourself a mishmash of pure OS goodness.

That's how I see things. :)

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Hell, slap in an install of Debian 10, and you've got yourself a mishmash of pure OS goodness.

Constantly rebooting would be annoying, so I'd just virtualise Debian on Tiger and use that for online activities. :)

netsrot39

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2018
Austria
I had Tiger for about a week on my 2006 and 2007 iMac and it wasn't a pleasant experience to be honest. It was missing many drivers Wi-Fi and Ethernet for example and didn't even recognize the SSD in my machine. I never had any of those problems on these 2 machines with other versions of OS X. I'd say yes to Tiger but only on the PowerPC platform ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.