Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4Queen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2013
I have tried time and again to edit files through Terminal but when prompted for my password it will not accept my password(won't type it) I use an iMac 10.8. Does anyone know anything that could help me?

Thank you!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes!
That's correct. The terminal does NOT ever show the characters in your password as you type it, and no indication that you are typing anything (remains blank)
It's a security tactic, so just type in your password, and press enter. It will then continue with whatever command you are using.

PaulRanger2

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2015
Yes!
That's correct. The terminal does NOT ever show the characters in your password as you type it, and no indication that you are typing anything (remains blank)
It's a security tactic, so just type in your password, and press enter. It will then continue with whatever command you are using.

I just bought a new iMac 21.5" retina 5k using OS X High Sierra 10.13.4 and am on a very sharp learning curve. My existing iMac (21.5" 3.06GHz late 2009) runs Yosemite 10.10.5 (once I eventually and painfully got rid of El Capitan). OS X 10.11 (and later) will not recognise non Apple apps, some of which are open source and have no commercial alternatives available.

I need to make the 'Security & Privacy/General/(Allow apps downloaded from: "Anywhere") option to appear in Preferences window.

In Utilities/Terminal I type "sudo spctl --master-disable and press 'Enter' key.
Terminal asks for Password: BUT will not accept my typed in password > Enter key strokes. As you explain no black dots will appear as I type each character of my password. It repeatedly says
"sorry, try again."

Can anyone help please?

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The password is your admin password. It's the same one that you would use for installing a new app (and the same one that you would use for logging in to your account)
When in the terminal, you simply have to type in your password. It will not be visible in any way on your screen. Type it correctly, then press enter.
Make sure it is correct by logging OUT of your account, then log back in. You can't log in unless your password is correct.
THAT password is the one that you would use in your terminal.

Finally, why do you need to essentially disable security on your system. The intermediate "App Store and identified developers" is pretty good for most uses.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I just bought a new iMac 21.5" retina 5k using OS X High Sierra 10.13.4 and am on a very sharp learning curve. My existing iMac (21.5" 3.06GHz late 2009) runs Yosemite 10.10.5 (once I eventually and painfully got rid of El Capitan). OS X 10.11 (and later) will not recognise non Apple apps, some of which are open source and have no commercial alternatives available.

I need to make the 'Security & Privacy/General/(Allow apps downloaded from: "Anywhere") option to appear in Preferences window.

In Utilities/Terminal I type "sudo spctl --master-disable and press 'Enter' key.
Terminal asks for Password: BUT will not accept my typed in password > Enter key strokes. As you explain no black dots will appear as I type each character of my password. It repeatedly says
"sorry, try again."

Can anyone help please?
Don't disable that setting. If you have an app that gives a security warning, just right click on it and choose "Open" and then click the open button that allows the app to run. You'll only get prompted once for a given app.

Reactions: DeltaMac

PaulRanger2

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2015
The password is your admin password. It's the same one that you would use for installing a new app (and the same one that you would use for logging in to your account)
When in the terminal, you simply have to type in your password. It will not be visible in any way on your screen. Type it correctly, then press enter.
Make sure it is correct by logging OUT of your account, then log back in. You can't log in unless your password is correct.
THAT password is the one that you would use in your terminal.

Finally, why do you need to essentially disable security on your system. The intermediate "App Store and identified developers" is pretty good for most uses.

Thank you DeltaMac et al,
I logged out of my account in Finder. The window did not ask me for a password.
I reopened Terminal, typed in "sudo spctl --master-disable the n pressed 'return'
Termional then created new line asking "Password"
I typed my numeric password (to access Mac HD on startup) and pressed 'Return'
Terminal displayed "Sorry, try again"
I the typed in my Apple ID password and pressed "Enter".
Terminal then created a new line and displayed

"spctl - invalid option --m
System Policy Basic Usage:
spctl --assess [ --type type] [-v] ... # assessment
spctl --add [--type type] [--path--requirement|--anchor|--hash] spec... #add rules (s)
spectl [--enable|--disable|--remove] [--type type] [--path|--requirement|--anchor|--hash|rule] spec # changes rule(s)
spectl --status | --master-enable | --master-disable # system master switch

Kernel Extension User Consent Usage:
spctl kext-consent <actions> ## Modifications only available is Recovery OS **
status
Print whether kernel extension user consent is enabled or disabled
enable
Enable requiring user consent for kernel extensions.
disable
Disable requiring user consent for kernel extensions.
add <team-id>
Insert a new Team Identifier into the list allowed to load kernel extensions without user consent.
list
Print the list of Team Identifiers allowed to load without user consent.
remove <team-id>
Remove a Team Identifier from the list allowed to load kernel extensions without user consent.
Pauls-iMac:- paulcllins$

In additon to my efforts as above in Terminal, I 'Got Info' on the HD, clicked the locked padlock and was asked for my password.
I typed in my password to open HD after startup
Name 'system' Privilege was default at 'Read & Write' already.
When the padlock unlocked, I attempted to change my permission (either name 'wheel' or 'everyone' from 'Read only' to 'Read & Write'

A window opened saying "The operation can't be completed because you don't have the necessary permission."

If HD startup access password and Apple ID password are not accepted in Terminal or Get Info,
how many more passwords do I have to try, please? Which of the above 2 passwords is the admin password, please?

As to why I need to disable security, I have unique non Apple software (e.g. Streamclip - a uniquely capable, open source program for video editing, manipulation, frame trimming, etc. that is no longer supported by its creators. There is no commercial alternative. I hope i have replied with sufficient details to explain my circumstances.
[doublepost=1536992283][/doublepost]
Don't disable that setting. If you have an app that gives a security warning, just right click on it and choose "Open" and then click the open button that allows the app to run. You'll only get prompted once for a given app.

Thank you chrfr,

I cannot remember the situation you refer to. After I upgraded to El Capitan, all sorts of software malfunctions afflicted my (supposed friendly and Windows superior) iMac. After many severe tribulations, I managed to erase the HD and reinstall Yosemite 10.10.5, consigning El Capitan to the scrap heap of never to be repeated experiences.

Apple was supposed to be user friendly and far superior to Wndows as an operating system and platform. Now it seems that Apple thinks it can dictate whatever curtailing of use its (until now) loyal Apple supporters and users can be made to endure.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I hope I can explain things a bit...
When you click the padlock, to unlock a "get info" window, the password that you use to unlock that window is your admin account password.
When you log out of your account - yes, you don't get asked for a password when log out - but, if you want to log back in, you get a login window, where you have to type in your admin password. If you only have the one user account on your Mac, then you would use the same password that you use for unlocking the get info window. Again, that's your admin password.
if you have an unlock password to open your HD, then I assume that you have File Vault turned on. Is that correct? That password that you use to unlock the HD is your FileVault password, and may be different from your admin password (or could be the same if you choose to do make the File Vault password the same as your account (admin) password.
The FileVault password is NOT your admin password, and would only be used to unlock your HD (because the HD is encrypted, and not accessible until you unlock it).
The other major password is your AppleID account password, which (not surprisingly) is used with your AppleID, your iCloud access, and other Apple services. When that password is needed, the system will usually show the AppleID account name (usually an email address that belongs to you), so you would know when it is asking for the AppleID password.
Those would be the 3 different passwords that you might use with your system.
So, to re-cap:
Admin password: used to allow local system permissions, such as account login, or installing new software.
FileVault password: unlocks your FileVault-encrypted HD.
AppleID password: gives permission to access Apple services, which would usually mean that you have an internet connection for that to work.

Finally, since El Capitan, each system version is adding more security, and the system, as a whole, is getting more and more locked down. This is NOT intended to make your computer life more challenging, but mostly to make the system more difficult for a "bad actor", malware, or other forms of attacks on your system.

SOME of items you mentioned, such as changing some of the internal permissions, will not work unless you first disable System Integrity Protection (SIP), which does NOT allow any user to modify certain parts of the system, or even to delete many of the apps that are installed by your macOS system.
That's why you get that "The operation can't be completed because you don't have the necessary permission." It's not that you don't use the right password, but that the system does not allow changes to that part of the system anymore. You have to jump through some hoops to get there, and the main "hoop" at that point is to disable the SIP, do your changes, then (recommended) re-enable the SIP. (Your older Mac with 10.10.5, is from before SIP was added to the system)

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I cannot remember the situation you refer to.
The commands with spctl you're trying to run just turn off a level of malware protection that there's no real need to do. Apple doesn't block anything from running. The default setting just needs to be temporarily overridden if you're trying to run some older software or software from unknown origin. This document from Apple provides more detail. Even though it references Sierra (macOS 10.12.x), it's applicable to 10.13.x High Sierra as well. https://support.apple.com/kb/ph25088

PaulRanger2

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2015
On my 2017 OSX running 10.13.6, I downloaded GIMP V.2.6.9 and installed it into 'Applications' folder (233.4MB). This was necessary because High Sierra will not run either version of Photoshop Elements I have purchased (Ver. 11 via "App Store").

Upon double clicking the GIMP icon, a window opens stating
" "Gimp" can't be opened because the identity of the developer cannot be confirmed." I closed that window.

I opened "System Preferences/Security & Privacy" (which showed "Anywhere" option already selected BUT dimmed) and clicked the lock icon to make changes.

I entered my administrator password, pressed 'return'

I activated the 'Anywhere' option, i.e. button circle showed blue button brightly. I then closed System Preferences and restarted. This was to ensure the System knew to accept/open applications from anywhere.

After restart, I again double clicked the "GIMP" icon but still the "Gimp" can't be opened because..." window prevents me from opening the installed app.

Can anyone advise please?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Try this:
Don't double-click the GIMP app.
Right-click on the GIMP app. Choose "open" from that menu.
You will see a similar message, but you should be allowed to open the app then.
Once you can get past that "developer" message the first time, you shouldn't be bothered again, and next time you can double-click as usual to open GIMP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.