Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
It's redundant from other threads, but given the many cries of instability about Catalina, I'm just glad Apple was able to put out this last 32-bit operating system with some of the new look and feel (primarily dark mode) while also making it pretty darn stable.

There's now the report that Apple is revamping it's software development process due to the instability of both iOS 13 and Mac OS 10.15 ... so it's a delight to come to my computers (all them with Mojave installed) and know I'm not missing much ... except maybe bugs :).

Last edited:

Hombre53

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2018
It's redundant from other threads, but given the many cries of instability about Catalina, I'm just glad Apple was able to put out this last 32-bit operating system with some of the new look and feel (primarily dark mode) while also making it pretty darn stable.

There's now the report that Apple is revamping it's software devilment process due to the instability of both iOS 13 and Mac OS 10.15 ... so it's a delight to come to my computers (all them with Mojave installed) and know I'm not missing much ... except maybe bugs :).

Mojave is the new Snow Leopard, and will be around for a long time.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Just curious. Why not high Sierra? Both already support metal, same (or slightly better) in term of stability, without gimmick dark mode. I used HS in my iMac and Mojave in MacBook, couldn’t see the difference except Mojave is bit slower.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Just curious. Why not high Sierra? Both already support metal, same (or slightly better) in term of stability, without gimmick dark mode. I used HS in my iMac and Mojave in MacBook, couldn’t see the difference except Mojave is bit slower.

My experience with 10.13 was mediocre at best on multiple machines. .14 has been rock solid all the way around and I am in the same camp, Mojave will live on as a legend like Tiger and Snow Leopard did.

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
My experience with 10.13 was mediocre at best on multiple machines. .14 has been rock solid all the way around and I am in the same camp, Mojave will live on as a legend like Tiger and Snow Leopard did.

Agreed.

Mojave seems to be more stable than high sierra, and that, along with the fact that its one iteration newer, and has the extra features, seems to me to be the perfect resting place.

Additionally, High Sierra was the first os with apfs. With Mojave you have a file system thats somewhat matured and less in the ‘beta’ stage.

@Isamilis

Last edited:

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Agreed.

Mojave seems to be more stable than high sierra, and that, along with the fact that its one iteration newer, and has the extra features, seems to me to be the perfect resting place.

Additionally, High Sierra was the first os with apfs. With Mojave you have a file system thats somewhat matured and less in the ‘beta’ stage.

@Isamilis

I liked Low Sierra, I only used it on a unsupported machines but it was great. High Sierra was a wreck until .4 and then it was fine but it always had a stigma that I couldn't shake. I have Mojave running on Hackintoshes, unsupported Macs and supported Macs, It's been good to me the way Tiger was way back when.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Dark mode isn't a gimmick for me, it's much more aesthetically pleasing than light mode and something I'd been waiting for since Yosemite's partial dark mode. The change of system requirements in Mojave vs. High Sierra was a well-thought-out planned obsolescence tactic, otherwise I wouldn't have any Macs still on High Sierra (except for maybe the 2012 Mac Pro as MacOS Server was trashed by Apple last year).

Catalina is the one to hold off on, IMHO. It's a minor feature update with a major sacrifice to get there.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Thanks all. I will consider update my current HS to Mojave then.
[automerge]1574927538[/automerge]
I liked Low Sierra, I only used it on a unsupported machines but it was great. High Sierra was a wreck until .4 and then it was fine but it always had a stigma that I couldn't shake. I have Mojave running on Hackintoshes, unsupported Macs and supported Macs, It's been good to me the way Tiger was way back when.
I also saw Sierra is pretty fast in MacBook Air 2017. However, finally updated to Mojave due to compatibility of new SSD replacement.

dickie001x

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
I was on HS for a month and found it slower than Mojave. APFS too new, too buggy. Mojave seems more refined and runs better for me (Mac Pro 2010).

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
Mojave has been rock solid on all systems in my household as well as at work. I am glad it still supports 32bit apps, though I do not have too many of them anymore. I do not use dark mode, but I know many people do and love it, so that is a plus. I may get flamed for this, but I am glad Mojave still has iTunes, despite its issues I do not think I could live without it (also haven't seen too many people praising Music). I wish Apple would spend a little more time and kill as many bugs in Mojave as possible for all of us who will be using it for years to come.

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
I had been waffling back and forth whether to use High Sierra or Mojave on my late 2013 MacBook Pro (i5/8/256) for months. Couldn't see any speed differences, and have had no problems with either version of macOS. Finally saw the trend Apple is taking with regards to security, and they're making macOS like iOS (and Android, for that matter) with a non-user System partition and a user Data partition. They're also hardening security without regard for developers in general and making life tougher for developers to write and users to run system utilities.

Hard "No", in my opinion.

So I went back to High Sierra. Only thing I've seen is not all extensions show up in Safari. After fighting it for a day, I hard switched to Firefox, and everything works fine now. Also switched to SoftMaker Office, now that it can see TTC fonts, and to my surprise, when I ran a report and exported it to "Excel" in QuickBooks Mac 2016, guess what opened up? It wasn't Numbers, as I thought; it was PlanMaker. What a pleasant surprise.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
I was just about to finally install Catalina because I'm tired of getting that pop-up every day reminding me to install it. Guess I better wait until the next update.
One curious thing I noticed about my Mini, which is about 6 months old. When I put it to sleep the white light stays completely lit and the light on my keyboard stays on, my previous Mini's light would dim and blink on and off when put to sleep

||\||

Suspended
Nov 21, 2019
I will be sticking with Mojave and likely skip Catalina entirely

Yup. And my 1080p iMac is permanently staying on El Cap. I will catch up in five or so years when I need to buy a whole new unit. I have tried everything between 10.11 and 10.15. I see no advantage to moving forward in my older machine and have uninstalled all these iOS news, stocks, etc apps in Mojave.

Last edited:
Reactions: madrich

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
Besides 32-bit for some of my apps, Catalina will destroy my carefully curated iTunes "music" library. The issue for me is that much of what iTunes labels podcasts are my "music." Yes some people subscribe to "music" podcasts (and save those great shows locally that we want to keep forever). It appears Catalina will bury my 100GB of "podcasts" in some kind of hidden library, making these a challenge to find and archive. Great...

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
May I add one point to the general satisfaction with Mojave in this thread.
Although nothing either in hard- or in software is perfect, I am a big fan of Disk Warrior.
It just helped me an hour ago to rebuild a Mojave not willing to boot.
The problem is it only works with HFS+ volumes.
Mojave is the last OSX allowing with some turn-arounds to run in HFS+.
I know the problem with Apple updates but there is even a way to install a small utility warning when updates come.
In any case I followed the suggestion a year ago of a wise member in this forum (Fishrrman) to keep a Mojave volume in a separate drive in APFS as he called it „a mule“ should I need an Apple update only possible in APFS.
So, at least for me, my MP End 2013 will remain in Mojave :) and.certainly not enter the muddy waters of Catalina!

Last edited:

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
My 13 inch 2017 MacBook Pro is still on its original Sierra software. I’m interested in getting dark mode on it since I like it so much on iOS 13. Seems like Catalina isn’t quite up to snuff yet. Can I go straight to the last version of Mojave from Sierra? How do I do it? Should I?! Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.