Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
You'd either need to be able to restart the device with the existing buttons in a way that could not lock up or perhaps configure a physical rather than software power control...or so I guess. These are not insurmountable problems. MacBooks have been like this for years.

But if a MacBook gets into a frozen situation you can intervene during the boot sequence, that’s not the case with iOS devices. Even in DFU mode you need to have a physical connection. Of course anything is possible if Apple changes everything to have a device without any port.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I wonder how many people on this forum (or elsewhere) do wireless charging now? And how many do it all the time? I have never but have thought about buying a wireless charger for my 11 Pro.
For those that do all the time - how many wireless chargers do you have - we all have about a thousand cables and plug in connectors.
How many use wireless headsets?
I guess maybe could do a survey on this forum

I don't think I or anyone in my family are early adopters, but none of us (six) has used wired earbuds for years. Given the sales volume of AirPods, I'd guess there are an awful lot of people doing the same.

We have one wireless charger, which I only bought within the last month when it appeared that my XS Max might have a dead Lightning port. I wanted to be able to charge it enough to do an iCloud backup. In the end, I was able to clean out the port and it works fine now. On the whole I prefer wired charging, but I also preferred RS232 ports to USB-A ports when they first came out.
[automerge]1575840577[/automerge]
But if a MacBook gets into a frozen situation you can intervene during the boot sequence, that’s not the case with iOS devices. Even in DFU mode you need to have a physical connection. Of course anything is possible if Apple changes everything to have a device without any port.

And that's my point - Apple (and every other manufacturer) knows how to do this - it's not a dark art. Apple would in fact be highly motivated to deal with this issue if they want to dispose of ports entirely, since (I assume) warranty claims (and Apple's warranty expenses) would skyrocket if there were no way to restart a frozen phone.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
A iPhone with no Port no USB-C port is not vulnerable to Hacking or Wired Exploits from FBI or China Hackers etc. It’s also water proof and More reliable the #1. Failure point for 90%+ of phones is the charging Port.
Also no charging Port leaves more room For a larger battery.
To claim portless iPhone uhhackable is just ignorant. Wired hacking no longer possible yeah, but hackers really need to physically access your iPhone for all your juicy data? Just implant a backdoor chip on the motherboard that is 1/10 of the size of your nail, and bam, access granted.
Port tends to be a failure point yes, but cable is also susceptible to break as we know. On the other hand, if you think turning off or restarting your iPhone is a thing of the past, go for it.
[automerge]1575853579[/automerge]
since (I assume) warranty claims (and Apple's warranty expenses) would skyrocket if there were no way to restart a frozen phone.
This is one of my major concern. To that stage, it’s better leasing your iPhone instead of buying one since you have no control of it whatsoever anyway.
[automerge]1575853937[/automerge]
I’m not entirely sure this is going to happen any time soon. Wireless is nice, but it’s not yet ubiquitous enough to justify deleting a data/power port. Granted this hasn’t prevented Apple from doing similar in the past, but I think this would be a bridge too far even for them.

Almost all CarPlay is still wired-only and needs a data port. Certainly in existing cars. Then there’s the potential issue of charging in public places away from home where wireless pads are nowhere near common enough to justify the removal of a power port.

I won’t say it won’t happen, but I don’t think it will happen soon. If it does then lots of people will run into lots of problems in cars and public spaces.
Plus, for people travelling with their iPhone, it would be a pain in the ass to find a working charging pad in a public place, and you have to stay there, ALL THE TIME until the phone is charged enough for you to go back home or move to another charging location, waiting. Even 10 minute waiting is still waiting.

Last edited:

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
It’s not just headphones. It’s all wired connectivity. This would be problematic for me. Not the least of which is that one of my AirPods just got damaged and I love having wired headphones as a fallback.

Reactions: Shirasaki

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Plus, for people travelling with their iPhone, it would be a pain in the ass to find a working charging pad in a public place, and you have to stay there, ALL THE TIME until the phone is charged enough for you to go back home or move to another charging location, waiting. Even 10 minute waiting is still waiting.

This is a very good point I didn’t consider earlier. I travel for work from time to time and there have been so many times that I needed to juice up my phone at the airport and even on the flights. Expecting wireless solution to be available everywhere is a naive move at best.

Reactions: newellj

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
How will you connect to WiFi if the device itself is frozen?
If Apple really is going port-less, then they need to rework iOS so it has an interactive recovery mode on its own, similar to Android.

When Apple does this, then iOS will become truly independent of computers. It's annoying when a supposedly advance OS that Apple said "can replace a computer" still needs a computer for troubleshooting.
[automerge]1575875887[/automerge]
I can buy a powerbank with built-in qi wireless charging for just $20-$30. This won't be an issue.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I’m in a motel currently.

Have a dual USB-A/single USB-C charging brick.

Charging iPhone with a USB-C to Lightning cable.

Charging AirPods Pro with a USB-A to Lightning cable.

Charging 4G wireless modem on a seperate power brick, with a proprietary cable.

That’s 3 cables & 2 power bricks for 3 devices.

I’m thinking that if all I needed was 1 cable & 1 brick plugged into an efficient wireless charging pad, then it’d make travelling much easier.

The efficient part is the challenge, although, leaving the devices on the wireless charging pad overnight is the big appeal of the technology for me.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I also find it ironic that Apple might go all wireless when they can't even produce their own wireless charger after more that 1 year of promises. I suspect they know less about wireless than they'd like to

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Here’s a bold prediction or two:

• Apple are intending to not include any ear buds with future iPhones, but will reduce the cost of the iPhone as people will be made to purchase Airpods/Pro separately.

• Apple are working on AirPower mk II with wireless charging tech that’ll juice up devices much quicker & more efficiently than today’s wireless chargers.

Probably end up being 0/2, but hey, this is rumourville.

What do you think? ?
According to other rumors I've heard, Apple will eventually go portless in 2021. Apple will then include 1st. gen Air Pods and force everyone to purchase a charging pad. No way will Apple bring the cost down. It most likely will maintain its cost structure due to 5G, AirPods and who knows what else they're going to drum up. 2020 will likely be the last year for portless, however if Apple is going to redesign the iPhone 12, it's only feasible, they go portless and include those AirPods.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I also find it ironic that Apple might go all wireless when they can't even produce their own wireless charger after more that 1 year of promises. I suspect they know less about wireless than they'd like to

OK, this isn’t true. Apple didn’t promise anything, they merely mentioned the future launch of the AirPower, which didn’t come to fruition due to the charging coils overlapping, which was probably due to overheating. You said they made ‘promises’, when else did they say anything else about the AirPower besides the keynote? The Airpower only marketing it ever had was briefly mentioned on their website and during the keynote, that’s it.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Ok technically they didn't promise but it was expected from them after being mentioned and they they "mentioned" it was being dropped. Whatever the reason, for them to rely on something they didn't produce isn't Apple like.
Well if there is no headphones and no charger they can certainly make the box smaller which is also always their desire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.