Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Most of us country flyers would drop into our local airport for fuel and just to talk airplane. A young farmer I knew was beguiling us with his plans on removing huge stones from a field he was making into an air strip. He asked me to come out and shoot some mock approaches with him as a second opinion.

Proposed strip was short, with classic 55' oak woods on east end. West end was good, some wires ,but a couple Balls would fix that. The field was full of stones. He made the first pass, too high would not have worked.

I made the second, verified again all our controls set for missed approach, Up over the woods and around for another.

This one he nailed with ease. Popped up over the trees...and the engine quit dead.

Getting late ,will finish this AM. BTW guy in white in pix is FAA. ELT told the world. LOL a2

Reactions: Glideslope

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Shallow left bank away away from woods, try an engine restart, while aiming at that bare spot ahead. Switch off, open doors, stick in laps, bang, bang, bang.

Get untangled, climb out and away. (full gas tanks). No fire, just absolute silence broken only by the sound of our gyros winding down. We laugh out loud in relief that we made it.

We find the farmer who owns the field. What a great guy, drives us back to airport where we find our ELT has been beeping away. We phone FAA to call off the hounds, borrow a car and go back out to the corn field. Here we find neighbors gathering and airplanes circling above. Farmer has it all under control though, and no one is taking souvenirs. We shut off the beeper.

Next morning, as we are planing removal, FAA arrives. One guy in a work truck and a big credential. The Man... He Inspects the airplane and we all pitch in and flip it back over. The man then opens the gas cap and there is an audible rush of intake air. He points out the tiny hole in the side of the fuselage that acts as the gas tank vent, plugged shut by "Mud Daubers" . Bugs got us. a2

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Would the neo engines be more bird resistant?

Or do the neos glide better?

Last edited:

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Surprised we don't have more Gen-Av and sport flyers on this forum. A good flying used airplane can still bought for the price of a high end used car.

Is flying now only to be experienced by the working pros and millionaires ? I hope not, as flying is early mans dream come true. The feel of your seat pushing you up into the sky is a feeling you never forget.

Here's our 1947 Luscomb. This was almost a daily driver for us as we lived just next door, (house in background). We at times hauled gas on that bike. LOL. a2

Luscomb.jpg

Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Would the neo engines be more bird resistant?

Or do the neos glide better?

NEO airframes have neither improved bird strike resistance or increased airframe glide ability. Remember, NEO Series from all manufacturers involve increased fan diameter. In an engine loss scenario there is greater resistance.

NEO engines still utilize the same High Bypass Design. Simply larger fans and improved internal efficiencies through blade design/materials, compressor improvements, improved fuel burn software mapping, etc....

In the end they are still a large spinning fan ingesting copious amounts of air. If one were to install some type of protective grid on a nacelle airflow would be so destabilized that the engine could not function without compressor stalls. The Parabolic Velocity Profile required for a Laminar flow would be impossible to achieve. :apple:
[doublepost=1567722819][/doublepost]
Surprised we don't have more Gen-Av and sport flyers on this forum. A good flying used airplane can still bought for the price of a high end used car.

Is flying now only to be experienced by the working pros and millionaires ? I hope not, as flying is early mans dream come true. The feel of your seat pushing you up into the sky is a feeling you never forget.

Here's our 1947 Luscomb. This was almost a daily driver for us as we lived just next door, (house in background). We at times hauled gas on that bike. LOL. a2

View attachment 856235

I did my IFT in a T-34 in 78 if that gets me on your list. ;);)

Last edited:
Reactions: a2jack

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
NEO airframes have neither improved bird strike resistance or increased airframe glide ability. Remember, NEO Series from all manufacturers involve increased fan diameter. In an engine loss scenario there is greater resistance.
But the neo has sharklets.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
But the neo has sharklets.

Winglets are primarily beneficial during high AOA flight, and high altitude high speed cruise. Blended winglets on modern aircraft (don't attach at 90 degrees) are more efficient. So, when you're at a high angle of attack like high altitude cruise or during takeoff and landing winglets reduce your drag. Otherwise as in a low speed low altitude glide they don't provide any significant lift. Also remember the primary function of a winglet is to reduce wingtip vortices. Wingtip vortices curve up and around the wingtips, pushing the air flowing over the wing downward. That angles your relative wind downward and tilts the lift vector backward. Winglets are actually little wings that generate lift. And, just like any other wing, they generate lift perpendicular to the relative wind. If you didn't have wingtip vortices, the winglet would generate lift inward, which isn't very helpful. But, wingtip vortices change the direction of the relative wind at the wingtip. Because the vortices move up and over the wing, they add a component of wind that flows toward the fuselage bending the relative wind inward (blended wingtip). Now, when you draw the lift vector from the winglet, the lift vector points forward a little.

Again, this is only beneficial in high AOA (takeoff/Landing) and high altitude high speed cruise. :apple:

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Winglets are primarily beneficial during high AOA flight, and high altitude high speed cruise. Blended winglets on modern aircraft (don't attach at 90 degrees) are more efficient. So, when you're at a high angle of attack like high altitude cruise or during takeoff and landing winglets reduce your drag. Otherwise as in a low speed low altitude glide they don't provide any significant lift. Also remember the primary function of a winglet is to reduce wingtip vortices. Wingtip vortices curve up and around the wingtips, pushing the air flowing over the wing downward. That angles your relative wind downward and tilts the lift vector backward. Winglets are actually little wings that generate lift. And, just like any other wing, they generate lift perpendicular to the relative wind. If you didn't have wingtip vortices, the winglet would generate lift inward, which isn't very helpful. But, wingtip vortices change the direction of the relative wind at the wingtip. Because the vortices move up and over the wing, they add a component of wind that flows toward the fuselage bending the relative wind inward (blended wingtip). Now, when you draw the lift vector from the winglet, the lift vector points forward a little.

Again, this is only beneficial in high AOA (takeoff/Landing) and high altitude high speed cruise. :apple:
And you can put sharklets on the ceo anyway.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

NEO engines still utilize the same High Bypass Design. Simply larger fans and improved internal efficiencies through blade design/materials, compressor improvements, improved fuel burn software mapping, etc....

In the end they are still a large spinning fan ingesting copious amounts of air. If one were to install some type of protective grid on a nacelle airflow would be so destabilized that the engine could not function without compressor stalls. The Parabolic Velocity Profile required for a Laminar flow would be impossible to achieve. :apple:
[doublepost=1567722819][/doublepost]

I did my IFT in a T-34 in 78 if that gets me on your list. ;);)
I was in a T-28 in 77-78. :)

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Always had my eye out for a T-34 (tandem Bonanza) LOL. But they were always big bucks.

T-6's and T-28's could be had cheap back in the 60's-70's.

The old PT's like the Ryan that Ford put into the Golf course, could be had as well. Buddy bought a PT-19 for $3,000. a2

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Always had my eye out for a T-34 (tandem Bonanza) LOL. But they were always big bucks.

T-6's and T-28's could be had cheap back in the 60's-70's.

The old PT's like the Ryan that Ford put into the Golf course, could be had as well. Buddy bought a PT-19 for $3,000. a2

Probably better off that you never acquired one. They were maintenance hogs especially keeping the wing spars airworthy. ;)

Reactions: a2jack

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Possibly very bad news for operators of the 737 Max. Non-rev travel this summer was a frick’n mess because of those aircraft being grounded

United Airlines To Send Its Boeing 737 MAX Aircraft To Storage
https://simpleflying.com/united-boeing-737-max-storage/
[doublepost=1568215830][/doublepost]
Yup. The T-34 was used more by the Navy, but we had them as well along with the T-28. :apple:
Were you Air Force? When I started training in 1977, the Navy had both T-34s and T-28s and I was thrilled to be able to fly (Corpus Christi) in basically a WWII era radial engine prop. If I can find a picture, I’ll post it...

T-28 Pose.jpg

Last edited:

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Probably better off that you never acquired one. They were maintenance hogs especially keeping the wing spars airworthy. ;)

Yes, Beach had all sorts of spar and center section problems. Didn't know the T-34 had them too.

Way back When...Turned down a gift D-18 in a farm field, as the spar mod and inspection times exceeded the value of the airplane. LOL . a2

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Possibly very bad news for operators of the 737 Max. Non-rev travel this summer was a frick’n mess because of those aircraft being grounded

United Airlines To Send Its Boeing 737 MAX Aircraft To Storage
https://simpleflying.com/united-boeing-737-max-storage/
[doublepost=1568215830][/doublepost]
Were you Air Force? When I started training in 1977, the Navy had both T-34s and T-28s and I was thrilled to be able to fly (Corpus Christi) in basically a WWII era radial engine prop. If I can find a picture, I’ll post it...

Was with the 20th OG/55th FS

Had an unusual medical mid 92. Detached the retina in my (L) eye. Was able to reattach it, but that was it. No waiver for a one eyed bandit. Wasn’t going to fly a desk. Applied for separation and was granted a discharge in 93. Left for a consulting career in Aviation Risk Management. Retired from that full time in 2016. Still consult a bit part time. :apple:

Last edited:
Reactions: a2jack and Huntn

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
BTW. FAA found no pilot error on cornfield flip, but wrote us up for expired battery in ELT. LOL

Here's the $3,000, PT-19. Full IFR trainer. Note "Armstrong" stater.
We were getting pretty good at moving airplanes and this trip went fine.

We were told an ag sign hung on prop would, like the cross against the "living dead", keep the HP away. It worked. LOL. a2

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    578.7 KB · Views: 182
  • unknown copy 2.jpg
    unknown copy 2.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
BTW. FAA found no pilot error on cornfield flip, but wrote us up for expired battery in ELT. LOL

Here's the $3,000, PT-19. Full IFR trainer. Note "Armstrong" stater.
We were getting pretty good at moving airplanes and this trip went fine.

We were told an ag sign hung on prop would, like the cross against the "living dead", keep the HP away. It worked. LOL. a2

Great stuff. :)

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
KC-46 banned from carrying people and cargo.

Not surprised. I don’t see this as a huge issue however. Just need to fine tune the procedures for the floor locks. They are slightly different in spec, but are compatible with the commercial floor the KC-46 uses. The whole purpose of OT&E is to discover these issues. This effects certain types of pallets, not all.

At least no power tools have been found in the most recent deliveries that I’m aware of. ;)

Reactions: Huntn

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
How is BA a flag carrier when its owner is a Spanish company?

How is IB a flag carrier when its owner is managed from London?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.