Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
This thread is designed to be the antithesis of the "Why is web design so awful today?" thread. If we can have 13+ pages of complaints then we can have some nice designs shown here. I'm looking for flat, clean, modern, stylish, interactive sites. Sites that make you go "hey, that's pretty cool". Some awesome branding and layout. Great colours. That sort of thing.

First up, here's some websites that make nice use of the parallax scrolling feature.

http://www.firewatchgame.com/

The Firewatch landing page is nice. The different layers move at different speeds as you scroll. It's Lovely vector graphics with beautiful use of colour. The red based colour pallette for the sunset goes well with the word fire. It actually loads slightly different graphics when you're on a mobile too. The man on the ridge moves down into the valley. Nicely thought out.

http://graphicnovel-hybrid4.peugeot.com/start.html

Peugeot went all out with this story for the hybrid 4 system. Parallax effects used at different orientations to mimic the different style of comic book frames.

https://dogstudio.co/

These guys get a mention for that fantastic landing page tag line.

https://www.blackbox.cool/

What a wonderfully retro landing page. And this is a bootstrap design.

http://chalovak.tv/

And this. Well this is amazing. Load it on a desktop and get your phone ready and follow the instructions

Reactions: mrsmith1

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK

Edit: too negative for what was intended to be a positive thread :)

Last edited:

Tarian

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2020
It behoves critics to explain ... so here goes.

Preamble:
Anthing described as "flat, clean" seems likely to fall into the categories of "boring, un-navigable" etc ...
Also "minimalism" is not exactly "modern" ... however many times that is said.
"Stylish" is completely subjective. If the aim is an art gallery or similar, then that might have a point....

But the main complaint is that 99% of website visits are for a purpose.
So surely practicality (function) should be uppermost ?
Then, having got the "engine" right ... make sure the controls are easy to understand.
And sure, a nice body too ... but it still has to be practical i.e. space for those pesky indicators and brake lights, maybe an air intake, door handles or whatever.

Firewatch:
i) Parallax is disorientrating - so adds to (unwanted) dwell time
ii) No content at first view
iii) Scroll to find some content - but still no clear info as to what this site is about.
iv) At least the top Menu Nav bar has clear text links

GraphicsNovel : site deactivated

DogStudio:
i) Delay while flat, red dog gallops. Why ?
ii) Then HUGE empty page with nothing except "We Make Good ****"
(Rhymes with "sit")
Even if some immature teen is not put off, he/she might want a bit more info.....?

iii) No visible navigation

BlackBox:
i) Confronted immediately with manic animation - worse than annoying.
Many web-users complain about any uninivited animation, auto-playing videos, etc

ii) After seconds delay..... auto-scroll to some plain text - blue like everything else.
a) ANY delay enforced on a visitor is discourteous.
b) Mono-colour (or corporate bi-colour) is both boring .. and limits navigation

iii) The companies USP seems to be that it ships an obscure card game !
Limiting one's audience seems an unusual business model ... but maybe that's not a "design" issue.

Chalovak:
Absolutely no info or navigation on a plain pastel turquoise page.
Just a bizarre message about "broaden its horizons".
Is this a secret society ?

Those web-designers that still think that "looks" are more important than function can expect continued critiques.

PLEASE make sites that are PRACTICAL (easy to navigate)... .
....and INTERESTING (with content and variety - NOT intrusive, distracting whizz-bangs)

Thanks very much:cool:

Reactions: Tozovac

Tarian

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2020
I always liked Tesla’s website. Especially the home screen.
Very pretty pictures ........
.....but the almost complete lack of TEXT (and indistinguishable navigation) does nothing to encourage me to explore further.....
.... but in the interest of fair play, I'll have a go.;)

e.g. click "Model 3" - in the hope of getting some info - either technical specs or useful features.
All that is visible is:

Pretty picture

3.2s 348miles AWD (whatever that is)

Apparently one has to scroll for more.

Another screen-filling picture

And an auto-play video .... that distracts from the tech info .... which is exactly the same as the first page.
(Auto-play / animations are ALWAYS annoying)

Another pretty picture
2 10ms cloud/sun outline

Another flipping auto-play video........
I really have to concentrate to focus on the bold text.

348mi 30min 16,000+
(haven't we seen this before)

There's more .... but that's already too much "work" for me (i.e. excessive scrolling)

If Tesla wants to sell a car, why can't they have at least one page withe ALL the info on in a single view ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.