Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Oh man, the weather is GLORIOUS for convertibles this week. People sometimes say, "Oh it must be fun to have a convertible during the summer", but honestly, it's mostly too hot and summers here are incredibly humid. Unlike late fall and spring where we get cool days, bright sun, and much lower humidity.

It's one of those, oh wait, I need something from the grocery days (that we really don't ... :D)

Putting the top up or down on the MG is a bit of a process so it's often seasonal operation rather than a day-to-day decision.

Part of that "seasonal" thing is that it stays up most of the hot part of the summer. Even without A/C, windows down and the back window open but the top up is often more comfortable than having the top down.

Spring and fall are definitely prime times to me, but if we have a "warm" stretch in the winter(sustained 50-60º days, which aren't uncommon) I'll often put it down and drive in the afternoons or evenings.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Putting the top up or down on the MG is a bit of a process so it's often seasonal operation rather than a day-to-day decision.

Part of that "seasonal" thing is that it stays up most of the hot part of the summer. Even without A/C, windows down and the back window open but the top up is often more comfortable than having the top down.

Spring and fall are definitely prime times to me, but if we have a "warm" stretch in the winter(sustained 50-60º days, which aren't uncommon) I'll often put it down and drive in the afternoons or evenings.

This kind of made me think of a story....

I was living in Knoxville, Tennessee when I was 22 for training [I Miss the southern hospitality and the smoky mountains]. I had a green 1995 LeBaron GTC with 47,000 miles on it (It was one of my first cars I owned), it was ugly, but I loved it. And of course down in Tennessee, as you mentioned, the humidity was pretty extreme at times, and I always had the top down when driving. One day, I tried to lower the top with the push button, and I heard fluid squirting everywhere near the trunk area, only to find out the hydraulic pump failed, now the top wouldn’t raise or lower.

So at the time, I go to a Chrysler dealership, they quoted me like $2000ish to have it fixed, and as a student, I didn’t have that money at the time. But the mechanic was nice enough to show me I could still lower/raise the convertible top without using the push button manually, it took a little bit of extra effort, but I didn’t care, I still got to enjoy having a top down for what it was worth.

Before moving out of Tennessee, I sold it in place of a buying a 2004 Mustang GT. That was the last convertible I ever owned, but I still miss that car.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
That was a solid grandmother car around these parts.

This legit made me laugh. Not also are you a culinary guru, but you’re a mind reader. So, the GTC I Purchased was from a restaurant owner, it was his wife’s, at the time she was probably about 70 years of age, and she never drove it, he cut me a good deal on the car being I worked for him. It had light brown leather interior, with a dark colored green exterior, and these ugly honey-comb wheels. At the time, I thought I was cool as hell with this car, little did I know at the time....😁

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
So I got the ioniq electric with premium trim and I love it. Got a solid lease deal that I couldn’t pass up and free charging near my work and near my house so very little fuel expenses

what I’m really excited about is the 2021 Toyota RAV4 prime. This vehicle looks amazing and has enough pure electric range to satisfy my commute. A very nice boost in horsepower too. Have you guys seen it?

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
The Cybertruck is horrible in every way and Tesla should kill it with fire.
To each their own. It's unconventional, yes, but the design has personally grown on me quite quickly. I was considering getting an F-150 but I might end up getting the Cybertruck instead. Time will tell.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
To each their own. It's unconventional, yes, but the design has personally grown on me quite quickly. I was considering getting an F-150 but I might end up getting the Cybertruck instead. Time will tell.

Well, pretty sure Elon didn’t intend it to be conventional, or appealing... or practical...😁. [I mean, this is coming from other Tesla models that have fart noises through the speakers, so if that gives you an idea of how Elons mind works.]

But, with the price at $40,000 with a given range of 250 miles for the base, there’s definitely a demographic who will be on board with this, especially with those who are acclimated to the Tesla family.

Reactions: TheSkywalker77

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Well, pretty sure Elon didn’t intend it to be conventional, or appealing... or practical...?. [I mean, this is coming from other Tesla models that have fart noises through the speakers, so if that gives you an idea of how Elons mind works.]

But, with the price at $40,000 with a given range of 250 miles for the base, there’s definitely a demographic who will be on board with this, especially with those who are acclimated to the Tesla family.
Ludicrous Farts aside, I think the roof point is what is throwing me off more than anything else.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Ludicrous Farts aside, I think the roof point is what is throwing me off more than anything else.

Yeah, it’s definitely different. This wouldn’t be for me, but Tesla has decent fan base that will jump on this quick. The price is competitive for the base, and for those want the additional towing/power band, will have that option of upgrading to a higher tiered model.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Yeah, it’s definitely different. This wouldn’t be for me, but Tesla has decent fan base that will jump on this quick. The price is competitive for the base, and for those want the additional towing/power band, will have that option of upgrading to a higher tiered model.
I have a Model X Performance w/ Ludicrous+ now, pre this unveil, I was toying with the idea of potentially trading in 3 years to the truck but I'll be sticking with the X but the newer plaid version late next year.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have a Model X Performance w/ Ludicrous+ now, pre this unveil, I was toying with the idea of potentially trading in 3 years to the truck but I'll be sticking with the X but the newer plaid version late next year.

Fun. My neighbor has the Model S P85D. It’s polarizing and totally a unique experience, He loves it. I’m still in the ICE era with American muscle, I’ll gladly pay the Pump prices to enjoy luxuries of my GT/Scat, but It’s still impressive to see how EV is growing and now with the the Mach-E/Cybertruck, it’s obvious where the auto-sector is leading.

Reactions: 0388631

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I've clearly missed something hilarious with Elon, which is a given at this point. Can someone break down what happened?

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Well Elon might have not done that throw the steel ball at window test if he had it to do over.
I just cancelled my window seat reservation on my Space X flight.

elon-musks-tesla-truck-fails-window-shatter-test-during-launch-event-03.JPG

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Cheers, Sun. Wasn't aware there was a new episode of Jackass on. That thing is ugly. It's not a vehicle. I'm certain a child could come up with a better design.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
i live in an urban area. A ciberTruck pig will not fit in the garage.
dont care what it looks like, its a truck.

the longest daily one way drive i do is 8.3 miles.

not sustainable.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Expectation vs reality.

View attachment 878571

I like originality and that render would not have been as exciting in that way, but... yeah I’m not convinced.

It's absolutely atrocious. The entire presentation frankly was cringeworthy- from musk trying to act like a tough guy, to the actors on stage dressed like d-bags / walking off The Matrix set, to the ghastly vehicle they rolled in on, to the shatterproof windows breaking, to the timing of the slides and stage choreography to being uncoordinated. I watched the live feed and when that thing rolled out I literally LOL'ed. It looks like someone trying to build their own DeLorian on a budget in their garage in a weekend. With all the hype I would have expected something much like the first picture... seriously did the Tesla engineers throw that prototype together over the course of a couple days, rushing to put something together for the press conference? After the Model Y release I didn't think they could have a worse reveal... until this.

Frankly, I don't even understand the point of the CyberTruck as conceived here. Musk said months ago conventional truck owners won't like the styling... but then in the presentation talks about how he wants to tap the sizable pickup truck market. It makes ZERO business sense to build a truck that the target demographic doesn't want to buy- what are they thinking? I've seen many the the Tesla fanatics were boasting that a Tesla pickup would destory the big 3 truck sales and in turn risk their entire existence (clearly not understanding how big the truck market is in the US... or the degree of brand owners many tuck owners have). I can assure you this truck has not enticed any of the middle America diehard truck owners. The Rivian pickup is far more appealing and in-line with what most truck buyers would be looking for. Honestly this could be the d***iest vehicle since the Hummer. I'm sure some hipsters will buy them, but they won't be taking any marketshare from the existing truck market.

It seems to me it would have made far more sense to revamp the S and X models, or to have put a little more effort into the Y design... or to have made a pickup that might actually have widespread demand.

Musk also failed to show any pictures of the interior, which is rather strange. Furthermore, although he opened up sales at the end of the presentation, he didn't state when the truck would actually be available. Apparently it's to be available late 2020/early 2021... I find that hard to believe considering we're still waiting on the Model Y, Roadster, and Semi. That said, considering it looks like some guy threw this truck together with primitive tools and scrap sheet metal in his backyard in a weekend, perhaps the production is very easy.

I'm sure Elon sycophants will claim that the truck is revolutionary and perfect but the truck owners who don't like it are ignorant, set in their ways, and too narrow-minded to see the future... which surely won't encourage buyers.

Reactions: D.T.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
It's absolutely atrocious. The entire presentation frankly was cringeworthy- from musk trying to act like a tough guy, to the actors on stage dressed like d-bags / walking off The Matrix set, to the ghastly vehicle they rolled in on, to the shatterproof windows breaking, to the timing of the slides and stage choreography to being uncoordinated. I watched the live feed and when that thing rolled out I literally LOL'ed. It looks like someone trying to build their own DeLorian on a budget in their garage in a weekend. With all the hype I would have expected something much like the first picture... seriously did the Tesla engineers throw that prototype together over the course of a couple days, rushing to put something together for the press conference? After the Model Y release I didn't think they could have a worse reveal... until this.

Frankly, I don't even understand the point of the CyberTruck as conceived here. Musk said months ago conventional truck owners won't like the styling... but then in the presentation talks about how he wants to tap the sizable pickup truck market. It makes ZERO business sense to build a truck that the target demographic doesn't want to buy- what are they thinking? I've seen many the the Tesla fanatics were boasting that a Tesla pickup would destory the big 3 truck sales and in turn risk their entire existence (clearly not understanding how big the truck market is in the US... or the degree of brand owners many tuck owners have). I can assure you this truck has not enticed any of the middle America diehard truck owners. The Rivian pickup is far more appealing and in-line with what most truck buyers would be looking for. Honestly this could be the d***iest vehicle since the Hummer. I'm sure some hipsters will buy them, but they won't be taking any marketshare from the existing truck market.

It seems to me it would have made far more sense to revamp the S and X models, or to have put a little more effort into the Y design... or to have made a pickup that might actually have widespread demand.

Musk also failed to show any pictures of the interior, which is rather strange. Furthermore, although he opened up sales at the end of the presentation, he didn't state when the truck would actually be available. Apparently it's to be available late 2020/early 2021... I find that hard to believe considering we're still waiting on the Model Y, Roadster, and Semi. That said, considering it looks like some guy threw this truck together with primitive tools and scrap sheet metal in his backyard in a weekend, perhaps the production is very easy.

I'm sure Elon sycophants will claim that the truck is revolutionary and perfect but the truck owners who don't like it are ignorant, set in their ways, and too narrow-minded to see the future... which surely won't encourage buyers.

From the Tesla website: "[...] as production nears in late 2021. Tri Motor AWD production is expected to begin in late 2022."

Pic of interior attached (features a large slab of marble, apparently).

Cybertruck_3.jpg

No matter how ridiculous it looks, the people at Tesla aren't total idiots and I assume that this truck can achieve the business goal they had for it. The hype alone is bigger than any brand could get, first preorders from the fans are already in.

DeLorean showed you can achieve much more with that stainless steel...

Schermafbeelding 2019-11-22 om 14.02.35.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.