Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I'm keen on making a tartiflette once the weather cools down, but sub out the lardons for pancetta, smoked thick bacon, and smoked Polish salo. Yum.

If I can find some Vidalia onions, even better. They're a type of white onion grown in the cold and wet pacific northwest and have a significantly higher sugar and moisture content which causes them to spoil quite quickly. It's usually a race to buy them because they're so delicious. It should, in theory, contrast nicely with the cheese, potatoes and smoky attributes the various pork product will bring.

I want to experiment using a reduced pork shoulder stock with the white wine but that may overlap the mildness the cream and cheese will bring. Decisions...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm keen on making a tartiflette once the weather cools down, but sub out the lardons for pancetta, smoked thick bacon, and smoked Polish salo. Yum.

If I can find some Vidalia onions, even better. They're a type of white onion grown in the cold and wet pacific northwest and have a significantly higher sugar and moisture content which causes them to spoil quite quickly. It's usually a race to buy them because they're so delicious. It should, in theory, contrast nicely with the cheese, potatoes and smoky attributes the various pork product will bring.

I want to experiment using a reduced pork shoulder stock with the white wine but that may overlap the mildness the cream and cheese will bring. Decisions...

Oh thanks for reminding me of the positive aspects of the coming cooler weather. Tartiflette is a favourite of mine.

Agreed. A favourite of mine, also.

A timeless classic.

Reactions: decafjava

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just devoured a burrata with ciabatta and Iberico ham; delicious.

This morning's market shopping included the following cheese purchases: Comte, Gorgonzola Cremosa, Taleggio, Roquefort, Brie and Doruval.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Dinner was pasta with a blue cheese sauce that was comprised of four different blue cheeses (some Roquefort, two different types of Gorgonzola, and some Stilton) to which I added raw, organic double cream.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Purchased some cheeses this afternoon: Smooth St Agur, and very mature Cashel Blue (two blues), ripe Morbier, St Nectaire, creamy Vacherin Mont d'Or, aged Cheddar, a special Pecorino with truffle, and oozing voluptuous Camembert.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Breakfast this morning comprised of two hard cheeses with truffle: A Dutch goat's cheese (not unlike a mild goat's Gouda) with truffle, and an Italian sheep's cheese - Pecorino - with truffle, both served with French rye bread.

Last edited:
Reactions: decafjava

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
FF979ED9-F677-40C7-A26D-623883B1832A.jpeg

Who wants so cheeeeeeeese???!! ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.