Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Some cheese shopping in the farmers' market: Gorgonzola Cremosa, Roquefort, Douraval, goat's Gouda truffle cheese, aged - very aged - Gouda, goat's Parmesan (taking the idea of Parmigiano Reggiano made from a goat's cheese), and Brie.

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
It is nice to hear one of my favorite blue cheese has been named the best cheese in the world this year. It is local cheese from southern Oregon my home area. It is called Rogue River Blue Cheese. When I would fish the Rogue River for Steelhead and Salmon picking up the cheese was a must.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It is nice to hear one of my favorite blue cheese has been named the best cheese in the world this year. It is local cheese from southern Oregon my home area. It is called Rogue River Blue Cheese. When I would fish the Rogue River for Steelhead and Salmon picking up the cheese was a must.

Fascinating.

We don't see - or get to taste - US cheeses in Europe, which is something of a pity, as I gather there are some very interesting (and good quality) cheeses available.

Now, in truth, Europe - of all continents - is exceptionally well served re cheese production with most countries in western Europe (for example, France, Italy, the Netherlands, England, Ireland, Spain and Portugal all produce some superlative cheeses) home to some superb cheeses.

Reactions: JamesMike

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Fascinating.

We don't see - or get to taste - US cheeses in Europe, which is something of a pity, as I gather there are some very interesting (and good quality) cheeses available.

Now, in truth, Europe - of all continents - is exceptionally well served re cheese production with most countries in western Europe (for example, France, Italy, the Netherlands, England, Ireland, Spain and Portugal all produce some superlative cheeses) home to some superb cheeses.

My home area is also starting to get noticed for its wine; not long ago a local Syrah wine was named the best in an Australia competition which is noted for its Syrah wines.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Yes, but when one mentions a cheese and fruit pairing which go well together, the assumption is that the fruit is not, indeed, rotten.
Oh, I don't know. There's probably some people who like overripe fruit out there. They may also be bovines or bats.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Oh, I don't know. There's probably some people who like overripe fruit out there. They may also be bovines or bats.

Well, I'm neither a bovine nor a bat, and, in addition to fresh fruit, (pears go well this time of year, as in common with apples, they are in season), dried fruit - or preserved fruit in jars, can also go well with cheeses, as can membrillo (quince paste), or apple jelly.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Well, I'm neither a bovine nor a bat, and, in addition to fresh fruit, (pears go well this time of year, as in common with apples, they are in season), dried fruit - or preserved fruit in jars, can also go well with cheeses, as can membrillo (quince paste), or apple jelly.
Part mouse then?

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Not a fan of Powers; however, that does beg the question of just what cheese might go well with whisky/whiskey?
Sweet and or smokey would be my best guess. You're competing with a stronger flavor that does change as time passes and alcohol evaporates.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And thoroughly enjoyed some extra mature Gouda (cow's milk) - the sort of Gouda that requires something heavy wth which to cut it, where the colour of the cheese is a deep apricot or amber, and the flavour rich, intense and savoury, but yet tempered with notes of caramel and butterscotch and bursts of caramelised sweetness - this evening.

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
Sorry, I'm late to join this thread. I've been eating more cheese these days for my vitamin K2.

Here's a recent study that compares the vitamin K2 contents of various cheeses and some other foods: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5946231/
(scroll down to the tables section)

Some cheeses with the highest K2 contents are: Muenster (French), Gouda, Camembert, Stilton, Emmentaler, and Roquefurt. It seems Parmesan don't have any or is very low in K2, they are made from skim milk, I have checked a few sources aside from this study and they seem to be low too, including for Parmigiano-Reggiano. American muenster cheese is easy to find, but I don't think it is nearly as nutritious as the French made version.

So far I find Trader Joe's to have some of the best selection and prices for these high K2 content cheeses. My favorite lately has been goat milk Gouda, followed by Stilton.

Last edited:
Reactions: decafjava

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Will be getting cheeses in the coming 2 weeks for the Christmas Day reception, I'm trying to strike a balance between stuff I know the kids will like, and more "complex" cheeses for the adults. Smoked cheddar is one of my main cheeses, I always have some around the house and will be getting more for the reception. Had some smoked cheddar with turkey for lunch today.

For @Zenithal I am a whisky fan, mostly Scotch. I never try to match foods with my drinks though. Usually just what is quickest. There will be some wine at the reception, but whisky is a bit too much for people to be drinking at such an event, IMO. Wine and cheese is a classical combination.

Reactions: decafjava
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.