Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
More excellent stories:
S3:Episode 7- Moondust During the time of the Moon landing, Prince Phillip suffers a mid life crisis, thinking he could have been more. I found his reaction to the Astronauts to be very interesting, as he expected them to be larger than life, regaling him with their sense of wonder, accomplishment, and newly gained perspective, but in reality they just seemed like regular men to him.

S3:Episode 8- Dangling Man Charles meets Camilla. He tells Camilla his position, it feels like he’s on hold waiting for the Queen to die. Charles visits the Duke of Windsor in exile, followed by Queen Elizabeth when he is on his death bed.

The true story behind The Crown's tangled love square between Prince Charles, Princess Anne and the Parker-Bowles.
https://www.msn.com/en-nz/entertain...e-and-the-parker-bowles/ar-BBXcflE?li=BBqdg4K

Last edited:
Reactions: colourfastt

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
S3:Episode 9- Charles and Camilla, the Royal Family, amidst a coal strike.
S3:Episode 10- Unhappy Princess Margaret.

Outstanding season 3.

Spoiler-
The interesting aspect of Charles and Camilla is that members of the Royal Family viewed Camilla as a means for young Charles to sew some wild oats, but when it became serious, according to the depicted story, his Uncle Lord Mountbatten and the Queen Mother conspired to break them up, by talking to the parents of Andrew Parker Bowles, and Camilla Strand, and with his connections to the Navy, Mountbatten pulled some strings and got Charles (an officer in the Navy) sent off for 8 months to a foreign posting.
Unlike Princess Margaret who first love interest was broken up in a previous season, sometime love does prevail. ? It’s just too bad for Princess Diane, who I’ll project shows up in the next season. I also enjoyed Princess Anne’s confession to her parents in a group meeting about Charles and Camilla. :)

I wonder if they will use the same actor for Charles or replace him with an older person?

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
S3:Episode 9- Charles and Camilla, the Royal Family, amidst a coal strike.
S3:Episode 10- Unhappy Princess Margaret.

Outstanding season 3.
Spoiler-
The interesting aspect of Charles and Camilla is that members of the Royal Family viewed Camilla as a means for young Charles to sew some wild oats, but when it became serious, according to the depicted story, his Uncle Lord Mountbatten and the Queen Mother conspired to break them up, by talking to the parents of Andrew Parker Bowles, and Camilla Strand, and with his connections to the Navy, Mountbatten pulled some strings and got Charles (an officer in the Navy) sent off for 8 months to a foreign posting.
Unlike Princess Margaret who first love interest was broken up in a previous season, sometime love does prevail. ? It’s just too bad for Princess Diane, who I’ll project shows up in the next season. I wonder if they will use the same actor for Charles or replace him with an older person.

My understanding is that for both season three and season four the same actors will portray their respective characters.

Reactions: Huntn

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Episode 2 - Margaretology: wonderful episode! It truly made me fall in love with Bonham Carter’s portrayal of Margaret. Now I am sold on Bonham Carter.

Episode 3 - Aberfan: oh my God, what a poignant episode. I honestly cried a bit in this one. I had no idea about this tragedy which is clearly important in British culture. The art in this episode was outstanding. The scene in which everything stops during the PM’s visit, with the figures carrying the bodies in penumbra, was one of the best visuals I have seen on the small screen. This episode sold me on Mrs Colman portrayal of Her Majesty. I also wonder if PM Wilson‘s portrayal is accurate; I don’t know much if anything about him, but I am impressed by how a seemingly minor and linear character is actually neither minor nor linear. I can’t wait for @Scepticalscribe to tell me more about the PM. I must add that all the supporting characters of this episode were amazing, which means that the director really did an incredible job.

Haven't seen the episode, (and won't see it until the DVD becomes available and I can buy it) so cannot really say how accurate the portrayal of Harold Wilson is.

Anyway, Harold Wilson was an exceptionally clever, skilful and subtle, politician, who gave the impression of an affable and genial personality. As a politician, and political leader, he successfully portrayed an image of himself as a "man of the people" - which, to a considerable extent, he was, his background was very ordinary and, in fact, his father had actually been made redundant during the Great Depression, while his mother was a teacher - in marked contrast to the moneyed aristocrats who had (largely) preceded him as PM, and he would have been very much seen as an example of social mobility.

He was very, very bright - a scholarship boy to Grammar School, followed by more scholarships to Oxford, where he obtained an outstanding first class honours degree, and where he taught before being recruited to the public service during the second world war (and he had sought to join the armed forces), where he worked on the sort of stuff that later became public policy under Attlee's postwar Labour government.

As with so many in liberal circles, he started on the far left, - (although even that was pragmatic rather than ideologically informed) and some silly conservative types were taken in by his rhetoric (rather than what he actually did) but eventually, over time, found his way to the social-democratic centre.

Some would call him a pragmatist - or opportunist - par excellence, but subtle, and clever men are often not trusted by their colleagues in political organisations and may be suspected of lacking in ideological fervour - but his actions could be informed by a subtle ethical awareness, too.

For example, unlike Tony Blair re Iraq, he refused to become involved (despite considerable pressure) in the US war in Vietnam. Likewise, access to tertiary education was opened up under his government - he was instrumental in ensuring that the Open University got off the ground and secured adequate funding to ensure that it worked well.

While I have a huge admiration for Clement Attlee, (and I personally, would have loved to have seen John Smith - who had the charisma of Tony Blair, and the intellect, integrity and moral authority of Gordon Brown - live long enough to have become Prime Minister), I think that Harold Wilson came close to Tony Blair in terms of how attractive he was to the electorate at large.

For, he was "likeable", and congenial company, (and also highly intelligent with superb political antennae) and - long before The Crown - it had been fairly reliably reported that HM had actually liked Harold Wilson. Despite the fact that he was a Labour PM, he was supposed to have been one of her favourite Prime Ministers. What is a matter of record is that when he announced that he was to retire as PM, Queen Elizabeth came to dine at No 10 Downing Street, an honour she bestowed on only one other Prime Minister, the legendary Winston Churchill.

Last edited:

philpalmiero

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2010
NOVA
S2:Ep6- Vergangerheit Excellent episode that reveals the Duke of Windsor to be a Nazi Collaborator and if not part of the Royal Family could have been tried for treason.

The Duke of Windsor was the founding member of antifa.
[automerge]1574804606[/automerge]
The Firm really did a number on Charles. His father always berating him, and his mother and grandmother working to undermine his relationships. What a family.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Finished S3... what an incredible season. I was a bit skeptical at first, but oh boy I was wrong. This could easily be the best of the three seasons.

Haven't seen the episode, (and won't see it until the DVD becomes available and I can buy it) so cannot really say how accurate the portrayal of Harold Wilson is.

Anyway, Harold Wilson was an exceptionally clever, skilful and subtle, politician, who gave the impression of an affable and genial personality. As a politician, and political leader, he successfully portrayed an image of himself as a "man of the people" - which, to a considerable extent, he was, his background was very ordinary and, in fact, his father had actually been made redundant during the Great Depression, while his mother was a teacher - in marked contrast to the moneyed aristocrats who had (largely) preceded him as PM, and he would have been very much seen as an example of social mobility.

He was very, very bright - a scholarship boy to Grammar School, followed by more scholarships to Oxford, where he obtained an outstanding first class honours degree, and where he taught before being recruited to the public service during the second world war (and he had sought to join the armed forces), where he worked on the sort of stuff that later became public policy under Attlee's postwar Labour government.

As with so many in liberal circles, he started on the far left, - (although even that was pragmatic rather than ideologically informed) and some silly conservative types were taken in by his rhetoric (rather than what he actually did) but eventually, over time, found his way to the social-democratic centre.

Some would call him a pragmatist - or opportunist - par excellence, but subtle, and clever men are often not trusted by their colleagues in political organisations and may be suspected of lacking in ideological fervour - but his actions could be informed by a subtle ethical awareness, too.

For example, unlike Tony Blair re Iraq, he refused to become involved (despite considerable pressure) in the US war in Vietnam. Likewise, access to tertiary education was opened up under his government - he was instrumental in ensuring that the Open University got off the ground and secured adequate funding to ensure that it worked well.

While I have a huge admiration for Clement Attlee, (and I personally, would have loved to have seen John Smith - who had the charisma of Tony Blair, and the intellect, integrity and moral authority of Gordon Brown - live long enough to have become Prime Minister), I think that Harold Wilson came close to Tony Blair in terms of how attractive he was to the electorate at large.

For, he was "likeable", and congenial company, (and also highly intelligent with superb political antennae) and - long before The Crown - it had been fairly reliably reported that HM had actually liked Harold Wilson. Despite the fact that he was a Labour PM, he was supposed to have been one of her favourite Prime Ministers. What is a matter of record is that when he announced that he was to retire as PM, Queen Elizabeth came to dine at No 10 Downing Street, an honour she bestowed on only one other Prime Minister, the legendary Winston Churchill.

@Scepticalscribe thank you for this overview of Mr. Wilson. I must admit, the character intrigued me enough that I might read a biography... this probably says a lot of the quality of his portrayal in the series. Not a spoiler for you, but the dinner was mentioned (in a beautiful scene); I guess he was really a great man.
As for Mr. Heath, I can't decide if he was just a pompous jerk or a well-intentioned incompetent. To be clear, I am talking about Mr. Heath's version in the series, not the real man who I am sure is a much more complex and nuanced character (as virtually anyone in real life).
@Scepticalscribe I think you should subscribe ASAP, use the free trial period, an enjoy this incredible season. I can't wait for your review and perspective.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Spent some of Christmas Day and a couple of hours yesterday (Boxing Day/St Stephen's Day) watching (binge-watching?) seasons One and Two of The Crown with my brother.

The episode where Winston Churchill has his portrait painted by Graham Sutherland is outstanding - superb acting, - the stillness and reserve of Stephen Dillane (as Graham Sutherland) was superlative when contrasted with John Lithgow's bombastic, bullying, egocentric, formidable yet vulnerable Churchill, - an episode with a terrific script, meticulous period detail, - absolutely first rate. And Harriet Walter as Clementine Churchill was flawless, and absolutely believable.

And, any episode that featured Alex Jennings as the Duke of Windsor was also utterly compelling.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Huntn and yaxomoxay

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Finished S3... what an incredible season. I was a bit skeptical at first, but oh boy I was wrong. This could easily be the best of the three seasons.

I agree. Season 3 was indeed excellent. (I say "was" because my wife and I watched it over the course of a couple of weeks — it's hard to resist when the next episode is only a button-press away.)

Beyond the writing and acting, I've been highly impressed with the cinematography and production design. The Crown is a delight to watch from a visual perspective.

I'm aware the writers have taken some license with historical events, which has encouraged me to seek out other, documentary material about the royal family. In particular, we enjoyed The Royal House of Windsor, a six-episode series from 2017, also on Netflix.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Season 4 is out covering the years 1977-1990. Charles meets Dianna, while continuing his adulterous affair with Camilla Bowles, and Northern Ireland wants England gone assassinating a member of the Royal Family.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Season 4 is out covering the years 1977-1990. Charles meets Dianna, while continuing his adulterous affair with Camilla Bowles, and Northern Ireland wants England gone assassinating a member of the Royal Family.
There's a lot about The Crown I like but some of the lengthy, gushy monologues that various royals come out with I find a bit grating. Sometimes you can say more through what's not said than getting a character to explain everything going on in their head in some exposition that looks at the past through today's prism.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Watched episode 1 of season 4 the other day. Not quite up to some previous seasons, but sill much better than almost anything else on TV. My wife and I are doing our best not to binge watch by viewing only 1 episode a week.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There's a lot about The Crown I like but some of the lengthy, gushy monologues that various royals come out with I find a bit grating. Sometimes you can say more through what's not said than getting a character to explain everything going on in their head in some exposition that looks at the past through today's prism.
Not saying you are wrong about gushy monologues, but you’d have to give me an example. The dialog in general does not bother me.
I haven’t seen this series yet but have read various articles over the last week complaining that not enough awareness is raised to inform people a lot of the scenes are fictional. It’s on my list to watch.
This is as with most historical shows. The historical facts are known, maybe even some of the personal interactions, but generally a bunch of dialog around the historical facts must be generated.
Watched episode 1 of season 4 the other day. Not quite up to some previous seasons, but sill much better than almost anything else on TV. My wife and I are doing our best not to binge watch by viewing only 1 episode a week.
We tend to watch 2 episodes a sitting.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Not saying you are wrong about gushy monologues, but you’d have to give me an example. The dialog in general does not bother me.

This is as with most historical shows. The historical facts are known, maybe even some of the personal interactions, but generally a bunch of dialog around the historical facts must be generated.

We tend to watch 2 episodes a sitting.
There's the bit where Phil the Greek is whining to Charlie because he's Dickie Mountbatten's favourite now and it just struck me as a bit too emotionally mature for
a) father and son of
b) the monarchy
c) of breat britain
d) in the 80s

I mean that's peak environment for toxic masculinity.

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Finished all 10 episodes yesterday, thoroughly enjoyed it, but they did spend a lot of time on the guy that snuck into the Queen's bedroom.

Then I watched "The Queen" with Helen Mirren as the Queen. She did a good job but they portrayed Prince Phillip as a real bastard.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
S4E2- The Royal Family was not very nice to Thatcher on a family vacation as if they assumed she was up to speed with all of their family customs.
S4E3- Fairytale. Charles and Diana, oh my. She was infatuated with him and/or his position, and we see polite friendliness from him, but nothing like boyfriend and girlfriend, or even fiancé. And I realize that the show could not show all of their interactions, but if the show’s intent is to show just how grim this relationship was from the start, they nailed it. We all know it was bad at the end, but was it like this from the beginning, or was that all hush hush at the time?

Diana’s lunch Camellia is the icing on the cake, Camilla’s familiarity with Charles while Diana is basically a stranger to him, so she knew from the start if the portrayal is accurate.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
S4E4- Beginning of the Falkland War, Prime Minister Thatcher’s son goes missing during an international road race. Two unhappy Royal children + unhappy pregnant Diana.
S4E5- The war continues and concludes. Too much time on Fagan, the man who snuck into the Queen’s bedroom to plead the case of the unemployed in England. But his interaction with the Queen is interesting along with the exchange and different outlooks between Elizabeth and Thatcher about the roll of collective economic security in society. I would have preferred to see more about Falkland Islands operations.

Last edited:

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
After watching the entire fourth season, I'd have to say that episode 2, "The Balmoral Test", is the key to understanding the entire story arc.

To briefly summarise, newly elected British PM Margaret Thatcher and her husband have a miserable and humiliating time visiting the Queen's Scottish estate. Conversely, teenage Diana Spencer, accustomed since birth to the British upper classes' enthusiasm for ambling about the cold, wet, and muddy countryside slaughtering wild animals, aces the "Balmoral Test."

Obviously, the "Balmoral Test" was a pretty piss-poor predictor of suitability for their future roles in British public life.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
After watching the entire fourth season, I'd have to say that episode 2, "The Balmoral Test", is the key to understanding the entire story arc.

To briefly summarise, newly elected British PM Margaret Thatcher and her husband have a miserable and humiliating time visiting the Queen's Scottish estate. Conversely, teenage Diana Spencer, accustomed since birth to the British upper classes' enthusiasm for ambling about the cold, wet, and muddy countryside slaughtering wild animals, aces the "Balmoral Test."

Obviously, the "Balmoral Test" was a pretty piss-poor predictor of suitability for their future roles in British public life.
What strikes me is how little help Diana got despite the protocol lessons. She wa expected to bend to the crown. I’m up to episode 7 and the saddest part of this season is the momentary happiness Charles and Diana found until she outshined him on their Australia tour.

S4E6- Charles and Diana tour Australia and find an island of momentary happiness in a sea of sadness.
S4E7- Princess Margaret discovers a dark family secret.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
S4E8- South Africa and apartheid, Elizabeth vs Thatcher.
S4E9- Charles and Diana, the sad story continues, she tried to make it work, he was in love with another the day he got married and no change there. Diana +10, Charles -100. Even Princess Anne tells Charles, he’s made a mess of his marriage.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I'm entering the fourth season of The Crown having just listened to a five-part take on the Princess Diana story from the podcast "You're Wrong About". I feel that I know the story well now and am interested to see a dramatized, visual approach to it. I've only seen the first two episodes so far, but I'm already enjoying it. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
S4E10- Based on documentaries, this season seems like a fair portrayal of Charles and Diana’s relationship. They all realize that Charles and Camilla‘s relationship was the issue from the start, that Charles was pressured into marriage, but knowing this they hoped that Charles would come around and he never did. Ironically he was the one who pushed for separation, yet in this season he was shut down by his mother who dangled being King. And ironically she outshone them all, while hypocritically Charles’s acted like he was the injured party. It really is a pathetic performance on his part.

And sadly by at least one account in the last year of her life their relationship had improved substantially to being civil and possibly friendship.

My TV app shows another season coming, so we will see the final end of their relationship.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
My wife and I just finished up season 4. Excellent as always, and it was interesting to see the timeline move into a period that overlaps my early childhood.

My TV app shows another season coming, so we will see the final end of their relationship.

I was curious how many seasons there'd be. Imagine if they went all the way to the present - perhaps we'd have an episode where The Crown touches on The Crown's opinion of The Crown. ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Huntn and yaxomoxay

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My wife and I just finished up season 4. Excellent as always, and it was interesting to see the timeline move into a period that overlaps my early childhood.

I was curious how many seasons there'd be. Imagine if they went all the way to the present - perhaps we'd have an episode where The Crown touches on The Crown's opinion of The Crown. ;)

maxresdefault.jpg
Two more seasons, 5&6.

I remember as it was happening, only Princes Diana going her own way. Seeing the background of this relationship is sad, and you can both condemn and pity Charles. He was put under pressure, but based on what was shown, it was not clear to me why he could not give his relationship with Diana the chance it deserved. And if I remember correctly, before D, it was family members who arranged for him to be sent away from Camilla on a military tour, then put pressure on her family, something along those lines and she ended up married to another.

The lies told, decisions and the sacrifices made to protect the Institution are both sad and historically interesting. What was done to the mentally challenged royals was a travesty.

Reactions: dmr727
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.