Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shortsord

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
I'm getting rather sick of reading all these complaints about faulty or dead apple products on arrival. Not that I think apple is infallible or that I don't want to know that apple is having problems, and I do sincerely have empathy for anyone who has problems with their systems. But what I am sick of, is people using a handful of problems to justify a belief that apples quality has taken an utter nose dive or worse.

Certainly there are quite a few problems happening with peoples orders, and even a few chronic troubles with products, but I have seen and do not believe there to be any reason why this is any different than has always been. Of course, if you look around here or near anywhere you will find many more complaints about products than praise, but that is to be expected; if you were to buy a new product and it worked fine, would you feel the need to announce it to the world? Probably not. But you certainly would feel the need to announce a faulty product. This is a regular statistical expectation, and so can always be reasonably assumed. So why do people take this pathetic rationale and justify a completely ridiculous jump in logic?

I apologize if this appears as a rant, for I do have a request. I am simply very tired of, not only the ridiculous jump of logic, but the nearly baseless debasing of apple quality without reputable proof.

Now my request.

For any apple products you have bought in the last year(or longer if you can), would you mind listing them, and with them say whether there were any unique or chronic problems with them.
This is by no means a scientific inquiry, merely to satisfy my curiosity and to get a general idea of what people on this board really go through. And remember, list both the good and the bad.

In my case, I have bought in the last year the newest model of 17" powerbook BTO along with two extra batteries for them, a 12" powerbook stock, two iPod Nanos and one iPod video, an eMac stock, and oversaw the buying of two 2.7 and four quad powermacs.
The 17" powerbook, 12" powerbook, all iPods, and all the powermacs have yet shown no errors whatsoever and are all fine products.
One of the batteries for the 17" had a problem and refused to calibrate properly, received a replacement. The eMac had a hard drive failure twice, was replaced both times and worked fine after that.
All in all, I'm very happy.

Cheers for reading.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I think in general, Apple quality has improved. The aluminum G5s are better engineered and better built than the older quicksilver Power Macs.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
In the past year I have gotten a couple of things from Apple: 1.25GHz eMac Combo stock (purchased 10/19/04) no problems at all; 512MB iPod Shuffle (purchased 3/1/05) no problems so far; 1st Gen Refurbished Silver iPod Mini (Purchased 6/15/05; 3 replacements so far. First had dead screen, 2nd dead Menu button on clickwheel, and 3rd had loose clickwheel; so far 4th is ok.) If I do have any more problems, Apple said they should replace with Nano; I do have a new iPod w/ Video but it's for Christmas so I haven't opened it yet.

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
I just bought a iBook and the bottom part seemed kinda loose. I tightened the screws and the problem was fixed. That kinda stuff should not happen, even my DELL Inspiron was screwed solidly.

Shortsord

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
I think apple's overall quality has improved also, albeit only slightly. As with all corporations, over time. But apple's quality seems to be just as good, if not better, which I'd rather say, than all other major competitors.

ETA:

I just bought a iBook and the bottom part seemed kinda loose. I tightened the screws and the problem was fixed. That kinda stuff should not happen, even my DELL Inspiron was screwed solidly.

Well, this isn't exactly the type of response I was hoping for here, I was hoping to hear about each of the items you had purchased from apple and the verdict on all of the.
But in regards to what you said, that is something that I see as inevitable. Things come loose, accidents happen, technicians get sloppy; that is in no way an indication of apple's overall quality, especially just one example. To make a judgment on any company, dell or apple, about their entire practice off of one individual product, whether good or bad, is ridiculous. This is part of what I'm trying to say. I do hope your iBook turns out all right, and stays that way, and that it's not silly enough to turn your opinion on apple.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
I've bought 2 things in the past year from Apple, both with widespread, documented, chronic problems. First, I bought a PB about 3 weeks ago, and it had the horizontal lines...so I returned it, got my money back, and have just kept my Rev. C instead. Second, I bought a black, 4 gb nano the day after it came out, and it has had major scratching issues, so much so that I can't even really read the screen anymore. Keep in mind I take good care of my equipment; it was just poorly made (using the cheap plastic junk film or whatever). Granted, I didn't do anything about it, and I'm just living with it. These are my first 2 *real* purchases from Apple (bought the Rev. C PB from a friend), and so far, I'm pretty disappointed. The whole reason I decided to buy some Apple stuff was b/c of the supposed quality factor, among other things. After my purchases, the opposite has been true. My Dell Jukebox mp3 player I had, as well as my Dell Inspiron laptop (and my other PC stuff) have held up just fine, with no problems whatsoever after over a year.
Now, I'm not bashing Apple whatsoever, but I switched mostly b/c of this "superior quality/less need for upgrade" reasoning. So far, I do have to say, I've been pretty let down.

Shortsord

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Veritas&Equitas said:
I've bought 2 things in the past year from Apple, both with widespread, documented, chronic problems. First, I bought a PB about 3 weeks ago, and it had the horizontal lines...so I returned it, got my money back, and have just kept my Rev. C instead. Second, I bought a black, 4 gb nano the day after it came out, and it has had major scratching issues, so much so that I can't even really read the screen anymore. Keep in mind I take good care of my equipment; it was just poorly made (using the cheap plastic junk film or whatever).

I feel very sorry for you. Out of all the items available, getting the two with current, chronic problems, that would certainly sour my mouth. And for my sake, that's very helpful to know and understand that some people's only experience with apple products could certainly be with faulty ones.

I do, however, respectfully question how "widespread" these issues are. On my part, I had not heard of the new powerbook lines issues until I read about it on this board, and I have still yet to read about it anywhere else. I understand if I had missed an article or something somewhere, and I'd appreciate being corrected, certainly. I also have not actually seen these line issues and so I have little understanding of how bad they really are. I do understand, though, how distasteful such an issues could be.

The Nano issue I most definitely have read about, especially regarding the lawsuit(which made me lose a lot of sympathy for those who rallied that suit), and that certainly must be a bit of an issue. Owning one myself, though, I really do not understand the problem. Perhaps I am lucky or perhaps it is not an issue with me yet, but my screen and casing are no more scratched than my fourth generation iPod, for the most part, and absolutely readable. Honestly, I truly would like to see a photo of how damaging the problem is, if anyone could point me in the direction of one.

Both of these issues, whether widespread or not, are chronic and unacceptable, and I have as strong a sympathy for you; just as I have hope that apple will find a fair way to remedy these issues and avoid them in the future. I hope your other experiences fare better in the future, and thanks for your input.

Cheers.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
Well,

seeins how both my 6 yr old, maxed out, uber-upgraded smurfbox AND my 1.5 yr old iPod are both still looking and working just as well now as they did the day I got them, I have to say that in general, Apple's quality seems to be holding steady......

Have lots of friends that say the same thing :D Like when you are surfin da web in a cafe with a power/iBook, you get a certain look of envy from people. But when you are using a Schlell/Stony/Compcraq, nobody even cares :)

brianwhi76

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2005
I've purchased 3 things from Apple this year.

1.42 ghz Mac Mini
Wireless keyboard
Wireless mouse

I have had not one problem. None whatsoever.
Made switching platforms almost effortless.:D

Only thing funky I have seen, is around the edge of the clear plastic on my keyboard. The edge isn't quite right in 2 places. First thing is that it's barely noticable, and second not everything is perfect. I don't expect it to be.

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
well the thing is only a small percentage of apple products are "bad on shippment"
it just sound like alot because many people on this forum are try to get advice on those problems
many people join this forum because they have problems like that

that are tons of apple buyer out there that have no problems with their new apple

it is safe to say if you buy a new apple 95% of the time your going to be completely satasfied with it, so why not go for it (every new mac has apple care too)

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
In August this year, we bought a 15" 1.5GHz PB from the (very) recently opened Apple Store in Bluewater Shopping Centre, Kent, UK.

We also bought another 512Mb chip of RAM and asked them to pre-install it.

However, on getting the PB back home (a two hour drive), there was no extra ram :( :eek: On phoning the Apple Store, we eventually convinced them to send a technician out and install the RAM in our house (since the prospect of a 2hour+ drive on one of the UK's worst motorways, and two £1 tolls wasn't very appealing). Within about 2.5 hours, I had the correct amount of RAM in my PB :D It turns out the technician had fitted the RAM to the wrong laptop in store...

Aside from that, I cannot fault this computer :D There has been one incident so far, that was user-inflicted. I moved my Library folder (accidentally) into my Movies folder without realising, and all my prefs, bookmarks, iCal data & emails got temporarily deleted. I just moved it back and the problem was solved :D

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Veritas&Equitas, about your scratching issue, you could buy a screen guard. Which would just be a strip of plastic that would stick over the screen. Now they are polarised, which means it only allows light in through in a certain direction that means that it will make the existing scratches not visible. The scratching issue is rather easy to deal with, my ipod photo had a big scratch over the screen and I can no longer see it.
Now I have a ibook G3 that had a logic board failure. I've read that the logic board failure problem was a physical problem, the ATI chip was seperating from the board over time. Still it's annoying that apple never actually fixed the issue, and just shiped out replacement boards with the same problem. I can excuse a problem that only shows up after several months, but I can not excuse the lack of effort to fix it!
I have an ipod photo, it's had no real major problems. A scratch, once got confused and couldn't see any songs on it, just needed a restore. Once froze overnight and ran it's battery out. But I don't think any of these problems are that major.

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
uve encounterd some serious problems
g3 ibook logic boards are bad ive owned 5 g3 dual usb ibooks and 3 of them had a dead logicboard somethime in their life

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
doucy2 said:
uve encounterd some serious problems
g3 ibook logic boards are bad ive owned 5 g3 dual usb ibooks and 3 of them had a dead logicboard somethime in their life
Apple has made some lemons those are some also the revA ImacG5, mightymouse come to mind...........Im surprised half of this stuff still works after shipping it around the planet.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Very happy with my two Apple products purchased in October!

1) Rev B iMac. Had the Apple store install additional RAM to max it out. No problems whatsoever.

2) 15" Rev E Powerbook BTO. No problems here, either, although I keep looking to see if by any chance I really do have those lines of which so many people have complained..... Case fits correctly, no warping, no issues there. No problems with the 7200 rpm hard drive or the additional RAM (again, maxed out).

I'm a very happy camper! :)

OTB

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
Shortsord said:
Well, this isn't exactly the type of response I was hoping for here, I was hoping to hear about each of the items you had purchased from apple and the verdict on all of the.
But in regards to what you said, that is something that I see as inevitable. Things come loose, accidents happen, technicians get sloppy; that is in no way an indication of apple's overall quality, especially just one example. To make a judgment on any company, dell or apple, about their entire practice off of one individual product, whether good or bad, is ridiculous. This is part of what I'm trying to say. I do hope your iBook turns out all right, and stays that way, and that it's not silly enough to turn your opinion on apple.

I'm not saying I dont like apple anymore! I'm totally glad I bought my iBook and got rid of that DELL POS! I had LOTS of problems with that computer, not counting all the OS reinstalls due to malware.

You were expecting me to reply with all my Apple purchases. This was my only Apple purchase. The computer works fine. I just tightened the screws and it's ok. I just think that a new computer should come with its screws tight!

Other than that, my iBook seems perfect!

bgd

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
SG
1.42 ghz Mac Mini
Wireless keyboard
Wireless mouse

Everything works fine. As this is my first experience of Apple the only issues I have had are due to my lack of knowledge. And if I can't resolve it myself I usually find the answers here :)

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
My very first purchase of a 17" PowerBook had to be returned due to an incredibly noisy fan. The replacement was fine. This was my main machine during a period of consultancy and it served me really well.

I then moved to a permanent job and decided to get an iMac and 15" powerbook combination. I therefore sold my 17" powerbook back to the retail store that I bought it from and ordered a 15" from them.

Ufortunately the new powerbook had to be returned due to a dead pixel in the middle of the screen and (what I thought was) a faulty stereo image setup.

I waited 6 weeks for a replacement which when I opened the packaging found it had a huge dent in the casing. That was then also returned.

The third 15" PowerBook was fine and I continue to use it to this day (although the stereo image thing turned out to be a "feature" of the new Pbook rather than a fault)

My next purchase was an iMac.

I originally bought a 17" version, but returned it within 24 hours due to an incredibly noisy and buzzy fan. I replaced it with a 20" version which has been absolutely perfect to date.

During this time I also bought a 20G iPod which worked fine until my wife accidentally dropped it in a bucket of water. It was then replaced with a 20G iPod photo which again works fine.

I purchased the powerbooks through a local store (MR Systems in Islington, London) who were incredibly supportive throughout and I bought the iMac through the Apple Store in Regent Street, London and they also were extremely understanding. I can heartily recommend both operations for anyone in the London area.

What my experience has done is make me extremely wary of purchasing Apple products via their online store as I just do not believe I would have got the same level of pro-active support as I happily experienced. The downside is that in general you are limited to stock configurations by going retail rather than online but by simply waiting a couple of versions down the line, initial BTO options become standard anyway.

Vanilla

Kace

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2005
Sydney
512mb shuffle, 3rd gen 15gb ipod, 5G ipod video and the 4gb nano - no problems.
got the 17" HR PB recently. No dramas.
20" iMac G5 rev .c No issues at all.
infact,
3 years ago i got the 15" TiPB (my first mac). 10 odd months into it, the right hinge just broke whilst opening up the screen. might have been due to the fact that my lil cousin accidentally stepped on the closed machine.
the apple engineer looked at it, took a photo and told me that a case is on record and he would call me(within a week or so) to let me know weather or not the warranty would cover it. 2 days later i get a call saying the machine is being repaired as we speak, free of charge. loved the prompt response and they changed the entire screen, put a new hinge and everything was ready 10 days after i dropped my PB off. excellent. the guy actually told me it would've cost AUD$1400 to put a new screen and a hinge. exceptional quality of after sales service i reckon.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
devilot said:
-12" 1.33GHz PowerBook G4; stock configuration, 4-5 dead pixels, doesn't sit flush on flat surfaces (rocks a little)
-20" 2.0GHz iMac G5 rev. B; BTO (but not really, just an extra 512MB stick), announced DOA, faulty optical drive; wouldn't credit me a measly $10 for my audio CD stuck in the drive so I had to wait for a backordered part; took 3 weeks to repair.
-12" 1.33GHz iBook G4; BTO (upgraded from 40GB to 60GB HD), trackpad doesn't feel flush, squeaking around the trackpad area when I type.
-4GB white Nano; slight scratches on the center button (the rest of the front has the Martin Fields' protector on, using the original front 'sticker' to protect the back for now).

Ouch, now you have used up all your bad luck concerning apple pruducts in my oppinion.

I purchased 2 15" pbs this year. First one in April, had dead motherboard after one week, got replaced, worked flawlessly until August, when it was stolen. (I keep trying to erase this from my memory so I didn't alter my sig) Had to buy a new one immediately, since I need it for work. Came at the beginning of September and had no issues so far. "fingers crossed"

revisionA

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
The kit list

Powermac g5 1.8 single / 8 ram slots - Excellent design and quality. No defects.

Apple ipod 3g 20gig - still using it every day, battery life sucks but thats this gen's big problem. Great value, if you use it everyday for a few years like I have.

Apple Cinema Display 23 - Everybody loves it.

Powerbook Rev E 15.2 = Beautiful and very portable. Screen lines issue is very very minute unless you stare at the screen and have 20/20 vision. I dont do either...

Apple Shuffle 1 gig - my little truffle shuffle was supposed to take me back to the gym... but it weathered nearly a week without power providing me with tunes... hell yeah on the battery life!

All in all, you get what you pay for, but honestly Apple pricing is top tier AND there is no Dellrumors or HPrumors site, so we dont hear about the myriad of little flaws in PCs, because us macheads are way more picky.

How do we date, if every little flaw is worthy of a return or exchange? haha

$

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
My B&W G3 Powermac was fine, still is.

My iBook G3 was also fine. Now sold.

My Powerbook (1.25 GHz) had 'white spots' and had a screen replacement. Fine now though.

My iPod Mini (4 GB) looks a little dim but works fine.

My 1 GB shuffle had to be replaced.

My 20" iMac (iSight) was replaced twice due to an irritating buzzing noise (which it shouldn't have been making apparently). The third one makes the same noise but has now been deemed 'normal'. It is going back to Apple for a refund.

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
Here you go:

Apple II - No Problems (no longer own)

Apple IIc - No Problems (no longer own)

Mac SE30 - No Problems

iMac Bondi - No Problems

iBook G3 700 - 1 month hard drive failed. Replaced quickly. Flawless otherwise.

1st Gen 5gig iPod - No problems

20 gig iPod (gift) No problems

30 gig iPod (gift) No problems

1 gig iPod shuffle (gift) No problems

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I have a Mac mini and I haven't had any trouble with it. And it seems to be built very sturdily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.