Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Found a full DSDT patch for my Asus Maximus X Hero (Wifi ac) in Olarila, feeling the Hackintosh is more complete now :D
View attachment 833584

And I also confirmed that the optical output is working flawlessly.

I've tried using SSDTs to populate the PCI section of System Information and found that the system ran weird with them. Keep testing to make sure everything is running right.

Personally, I ended up getting rid of all those SSDTs and everything ran better.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I've tried using SSDTs to populate the PCI section of System Information and found that the system ran weird with them. Keep testing to make sure everything is running right.

Personally, I ended up getting rid of all those SSDTs and everything ran better.

May I know what the problem was?

I used this DSDT for few days now. So far, very normal. I can't see anything better apart from the PCIe info (consider cosmetic if no real difference), but nothing worse as well.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
May I know what the problem was?

I used this DSDT for few days now. So far, very normal. I can't see anything better apart from the PCIe info (consider cosmetic if no real difference), but nothing worse as well.

It's hard to specify... I mean, it worked... But things just didn't feel quite the same and not for the better...

Also, using DSDTs made for another system is not recommended at all:
Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 9.02.47 AM.png

Source: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
It's hard to specify... I mean, it worked... But things just didn't feel quite the same and not for the better...

Also, using DSDTs made for another system is not recommended at all:
View attachment 833756
Source: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

Thanks for the info, I understand that every single hardware change may need a new DSDT patch. That's why I want to do it myself.

The DSDT file I download has very very similar config as per my Hackintosh. So far, everything work as expected. But I will continue to monitor it.

I will study the patched DSDT, compare it to my original dump. And see if I can figure out the correct way to do it.

Reactions: pastrychef

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Thanks for the info, I understand that every single hardware change may need a new DSDT patch. That's why I want to do it myself.

The DSDT file I download has very very similar config as per my Hackintosh. So far, everything work as expected. But I will continue to monitor it.

I will study the patched DSDT, compare it to my original dump. And see if I can figure out the correct way to do it.

If you want do populate System Information > PCI yourself without relying on someone else's DSDT, you can try this method.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, Is the iGPU that came with the Intel i9-9900K sufficiently fast enough to be used as the GPU for a Hackintosh? If not, which dGPU do you recommend for ease of installing the Hackintosh and reasonably sufficient for basic productivity? I do not need crazy fast as I have a 2080Ti installed in the desktop already. Also, is there a problem to have both Nvidia 2080Ti and a AMD GPU in the same desktop? I plan to build a triple-boot system. Under Windows 10, use 2080Ti. Under Linux, use both but the AMD one or the iGPU is to be connected to a 4K HDR monitor.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi, Is the iGPU that came with the Intel i9-9900K sufficiently fast enough to be used as the GPU for a Hackintosh? If not, which dGPU do you recommend for ease of installing the Hackintosh and reasonably sufficient for basic productivity? I do not need crazy fast as I have a 2080Ti installed in the desktop already. Also, is there a problem to have both Nvidia 2080Ti and a AMD GPU in the same desktop? I plan to build a triple-boot system. Under Windows 10, use 2080Ti. Under Linux, use both but the AMD one or the iGPU is to be connected to a 4K HDR monitor.

The 2080Ti will be automatically "disabled" in macOS due to lack of driver support.

The UHD630 itself is good enough for general use (e.g. Safari).

If you know how to use Qemu, you can run few VM with PCIe pass though, so that each of them has it's own dedicated GPU (almost native performance).

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
The 2080Ti will be automatically "disabled" in macOS due to lack of driver support.

The UHD630 itself is good enough for general use (e.g. Safari).

If you know how to use Qemu, you can run few VM with PCIe pass though, so that each of them has it's own dedicated GPU (almost native performance).

Thanks. Just for comparison, how is the UHD630 performance in Keynote, Final Cut and Adobe Premiere? I don't use the latter two often but sometimes.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks. Just for comparison, how is the UHD630 performance in Keynote, Final Cut and Adobe Premiere? I don't use the latter two often but sometimes.

It will be OK for displaying, but don't expect it help much for rendering. However, it can encode H264 / HEVC
quite well (at high bitrate).

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
It will be OK for displaying, but don't expect it help much for rendering. However, it can encode H264 / HEVC
quite well (at high bitrate).

What sort of rendering are you referring to? In case of buying a GPU for running Hackintosh, which one is not so expensive but have decently good performance when used with a 4K monitor?

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
Figured I'd post here - finally got the Z820 booted to Mojave desktop. Hardly anything works, but I'll tackle that tomorrow. It's dual 8 core at 3.1GHz / 32GB / RX580 / GT 1030 / Thunderbolt 2 / 1TB SSD / 15k spinners.

Almost nothing aligned exactly with any existing guide. I had to piece together solutions from all over the place. Basically I've just gotten it to boot to the desktop. Lots of kexts still need to be installed (sound, ethernet, TB (although I hear this just worked for some folks), internal drives).

I'm doing this in my spare time as an exercise to see if it's feasible for me to maintain a fleet of these for my shop. Ideally I'd be using ESXi, but I couldn't get that to work. Lots of work to be done still, but this was a milestone.

Please excuse the mess; this is very much a work in progress.

IMG_1267.jpg
mojavedesktop.jpg

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
First of all, huge thanks to MaLd0n at Olarila.com forums. He provided me with kexts, DSDT, etc. to get me this far. Now I've been (mostly) through his method, it makes sense and I would use it again. With his assistance I have ethernet, sound, and internal drives working (firewire too). Main thing left is the Thunderbolt 2 card.

Geekbench is ~2214 single core and ~31,700 multi (didn't save the screenshot). These aren't V2 CPUs, my BIOS is too old. Single core is slow, but multi seems to be on par with 8 core iMac Pro and 12 core nMP (I have 16 cores). Not bad for a cheap box, and I just need them to feed some GPUs data, which they will do and then some. I'm pretty satisfied so far.

We'll see how stability, updates, etc. are long term, but I haven't had an issue with the ones I paid for.

Anyone considering it, I'd say give it a shot. If we get updated Nvidia drivers, I have a couple GTX 1070s ready to drop in. If we don't, I may have to settle for a couple of Vega 56 for now.

Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 7.38.13 PM.png

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
First of all, huge thanks to MaLd0n at Olarila.com forums. He provided me with kexts, DSDT, etc. to get me this far. Now I've been (mostly) through his method, it makes sense and I would use it again. With his assistance I have ethernet, sound, and internal drives working (firewire too). Main thing left is the Thunderbolt 2 card.

Geekbench is ~2214 single core and ~31,700 multi (didn't save the screenshot). These aren't V2 CPUs, my BIOS is too old. Single core is slow, but multi seems to be on par with 8 core iMac Pro and 12 core nMP (I have 16 cores). Not bad for a cheap box, and I just need them to feed some GPUs data, which they will do and then some. I'm pretty satisfied so far.

We'll see how stability, updates, etc. are long term, but I haven't had an issue with the ones I paid for.

Anyone considering it, I'd say give it a shot. If we get updated Nvidia drivers, I have a couple GTX 1070s ready to drop in. If we don't, I may have to settle for a couple of Vega 56 for now.

View attachment 841872

Would you mind sharing your EFI folder? I just want to see what's involved in getting this system running... Trying to educate myself as much as possible.

TIA.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Don't use my serial #s for nefarious purposes! :D

Today, I finally sat down and gave ESXi a shot and installing macOS 10.14.5 was easier than I thought it would be. The part that I'm having trouble with is enabling GPU pass-through.

I had my IGPU set to primary and ESXi booted with it. I assumed that this would leave all my dGPU resources free. The pass-through is partially working. I can see my Vega in System Information, but it's not detected in system preferences...

I'll try again tomorrow.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
That's nice progress! I may try again with a newer (supported) Z series.

I tried a few things and still couldn't get GPU pass through to work with ESXi... So I gave up and installed Proxmox. I haven't tried the pass through stuff yet but installation of macOS was equally as simple as it was with ESXi. As far as I can tell, ESXi and Proxmox are extremely similar.

I actually like the way macOS boots better with Proxmox. It's more like a "normal" hackintosh and relies on Clover.

I'll continue with my attempts at getting pass through to work in the next few days.

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
thanks for the latest posts guys, I am actually in the middle of trying to build a dual E5 and have been running into a lot of problems, this info will help.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Keep us posted, I'm interested in your journey!

I've tried ESXi, Proxmox, and unRAID (Proxmox and unRAID both use QEMU in the back end). In every case, getting macOS installed and running has not been much of a problem at all, in fact, it's been quite easy. However, I have had zero success in getting PCI-e pass-through to work. The closest I've gotten is get a blink on the screen...

I'm stumped. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've tried with AMD Vega 56, AMD RX 560, Nvidia GT 640, and even with IGPU. I've also tried on both my Asus Z370-G system and my Optiplex 3050.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, first time to build a Hackintosh. If I build a Hackintosh this month, should I try Catalina or Mojave? Actually, any point to install Catalina before it is officially released this Fall?

On a trip boot (Windows 10, Linux and Mac) desktop, what is the recommended order of installing the OS? I plan to have one OS on each individual SSD.

Also, which GPU do you recommend? Here are my requirements:

- Very quiet or silent please. For office productivity. I don't play games.
- Reasonably priced.
- Good performance. Does not need to be the fastest.
- Works out of the box.

I plan to follow some installation guides. Which one(s) do you recommend? Thank you.

Last edited:

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Hi, first time to build a Hackintosh. If I build a Hackintosh this month, should I try Catalina or Mojave? Actually, any point to install Catalina before it is officially released this Fall?

On a trip boot (Windows 10, Linux and Mac) desktop, what is the recommended order of installing the OS? I plan to have one OS on each individual SSD.

Also, which GPU do you recommend? Here are my requirements:

- Very quiet or silent please. For office productivity. I don't play games.
- Reasonably priced.
- Good performance. Does not need to be the fastest.
- Works out of the box.

I plan to follow some installation guides. Which one(s) do you recommend? Thank you.

I recommend installing Linux first, then Windows, then macOS. The reason why I like this order is because when I installed Linux, the installer messed with the EFI partition of every drive I had and installed Grub on it.

I have an RX 560 and have never heard its fans. I got it used from Ebay for about $70-80.

It depends on which motherboard you will be using. For Z370, I like my instructions. Lol. Link is below in my signature.

agejon

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
Athens, Greece
I've tried ESXi, Proxmox, and unRAID (Proxmox and unRAID both use QEMU in the back end). In every case, getting macOS installed and running has not been much of a problem at all, in fact, it's been quite easy. However, I have had zero success in getting PCI-e pass-through to work. The closest I've gotten is get a blink on the screen...

I'm stumped. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've tried with AMD Vega 56, AMD RX 560, Nvidia GT 640, and even with IGPU. I've also tried on both my Asus Z370-G system and my Optiplex 3050.

have you tried pass through in windows 10 vm? so you can isolate the problem better...

also try you nvidia gpu with web drivers in high sierra

Last edited:

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
have you tried pass through in windows 10 vm? so you can isolate the problem better...

also try you nvidia gpu with web drivers in high sierra

No. I have not tried Windows. I was planning on giving it a shot this coming week (we are expecting quite a bit of rain).

Yes, after some more research, I found that my AMD cards may be an issue and I will test with Nvidia.

agejon

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
Athens, Greece
No. I have not tried Windows. I was planning on giving it a shot this coming week (we are expecting quite a bit of rain).

Yes, after some more research, I found that my AMD cards may be an issue and I will test with Nvidia.

i use an old xeon 1366 system running esxi 6.7 and passing through an nvidia gtx750ti in high sierra using web drivers without any problem....

Reactions: pastrychef
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.