Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

agejon

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
Athens, Greece
Just to be clear, you booted ESXi using a different video card and then passed through the GTX 750 Ti, correct?

exactly... i used for booting the gpu that came with my supermicro server motherboard

By the way for windows 10 ONLY (not for mac os) you need this for successful passthrough:
VM Settings > VM Options > Advanced > Edit Configuration > Add : hypervisor.cpuid.v0 = "FALSE"

Last edited:

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
exactly... i used for booting the gpu that came with my supermicro server motherboard

By the way for windows 10 ONLY (not for mac os) you need this for successful passthrough:
VM Settings > VM Options > Advanced > Edit Configuration > Add : hypervisor.cpuid.v0 = "FALSE"

Thanks for the tip!!!

I went back to the drawing board and started with a fresh Proxmox install and, now, I have full pass-through of my GT 630!!! I'm typing from the VM right now!! :D

I think what made the difference for me was that, this time around, I edited my config file manually rather than using Proxmox GUI.

For those interested in trying, I followed the following guide to get macOS installed in a VM:
https://www.nicksherlock.com/2018/06/installing-macos-mojave-on-proxmox/

After that, I followed the Proxmox documentation on PCI-e pass through:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/USB_Devices_in_Virtual_Machines

Again, I only had success when I edited all the config files manually.

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 11.08.34 AM.png

Last edited:

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
After experiencing frustration with my Mac Mini & eGPU solution, I finally made a hackintosh Mac. The following were my thought before doing it.

1. 10.14.5 is pretty mature at this point, and I probably don't have to worry too much about updating it (other than possible security update).
2. I don't really care about the lack of CPU & GPU upgrade possilbity of Mac Mini. However, lack of discrete GPU is really bothersome and eGPU solution is not stable when it goes to sleep. So I had to go internal discrete GPU.
3. I want to upgrade RAM and Internal storage freely, and hackintosh was my only viable option. I wanted the new Mac Pro to be reachable. I was even willing to pay upto $4,000, but alas, there's no way I will pay $6,000 for gimped 8 core and 580.

There were some left over parts from my PC build & upgrade so all I had to buy was CPU, motherboard and Case.

CPU : 9700k with Noctua NH-u9s
Motherboard : Asus Strix Z390-I ITX Motherboard
RAM : 16 gig
Case : Fractal Node 304
GPU : Radeon 560

I already have 9900k in my custom PC for gaming. I will probably swap them so that I can use 9900k for my hackintosh and 9700k for gaming. GPU was a pretty boring choice, but it's a leftover from my previous attempt at fluid video. If this hackintosh is proven to be stable enough, I plan to go VEGA 64 from eGPU and get rid of Mac Mini.

I was amazed with how easy the installation was. As long as you've got the right parts, it just installs. The hardest part was making an installation USB & EFI setting.

Anyway, the performance is really great and I can finally add internal HDD however I like. Another aspect that amazes me is much better thermal this system handles. With full turbo at 4.6 Ghz (w/o overclocking), this thing never goes beyond 75 degree celsius. And it's really quite.

Last edited:

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I already have 9900k in my custom PC for gaming. I will probably swap them so that I can use 9900k for my hackintosh and 9700k for gaming.
Why don't you go dual boot? Super Hackintosh and gaming PC in one box!
(unless they have to be in different rooms, in which case ignore me)

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
Why don't you go dual boot? Super Hackintosh and gaming PC in one box!
(unless they have to be in different rooms, in which case ignore me)

Well they are both in the same room, but I want to run both Mac OS and Windows concurrently. Hence, no other option but go dual(?) computer. :)

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Well they are both in the same room, but I want to run both Mac OS and Windows concurrently. Hence, no other option but go dual(?) computer. :)

Has other option(s), e.g.

Build a strong high core count PC (e.g. using those new AMD CPU).

Install Linux as primary OS.

Use Qemu to boot macOS and Windows VM at the same time. Each OS can have their own dedicated GPU via PCIe pass through.

So, when you don't need co-boot, all resources can go into one of the VM. This provide more flexible hardware resource allocation indeed.

Last edited:

zoltm

macrumors member
May 9, 2017

Use Qemu to boot macOS and Windows VM at the same time. Each OS can have their own dedicated GPU via PCIe pass through.

So, when you don't need co-boot, all resources can go into one of the VM. This prove more flexible hardware resource allocation indeed.

This is indeed what I have in mind if the trusty cMP decided to failed on me one day. I was looking at Proxmox. It looks like a cool VM platform to run both macOS and winblow.

Honestly, I would be very happy to use the trusty cMP for another 5 years or so if it's possible. It is one solid platform.

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL

So, when you don't need co-boot, all resources can go into one of the VM. This prove more flexible hardware resource allocation indeed.

Interesting. Never thought about that possibility before.
Curious, does that setting work for PC gaming and video encoding?

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
You folks with the stable installs - do you have a writeup available?

I have always just followed the guides available for the board I wanted to build with. Usually always a Gigabyte board I have had good luck with them for 20 years if it is a day I have been buying them. I do not think I have every had one fail at least I cannot find it in my memory, I may have forgot. The most important thing is never to let good enough be the enemy in your quest for perfection. Using a PC board will never get you everything Apple hardware gives you and the always tinkering to get that perfection is what leads those people down the path to instability. I have been doing is since it was possible for me to do it. I started with a Leopard install in 2008 I think it was released, as I had identical board chipset that Apple had used for development at the time so was easy. I am still on the same install as that to this day it has been moved and upgraded all the way from there. It was Nov. 2007 actually I started and the Sites directory confirms the day of my first as they called it then retail install. Where you booted the install dvd and then did it as a mac user would not take a pre-built image and use that for the install.

Code:
MacUser2525:~$ ll Sites/

total 16

-rw-r--r--  1 MacUser2525  admin   1.1K 22 Jan  2011 favicon.ico

drwxr-xr-x  6 MacUser2525  admin   204B  7 Feb  2008 images/

-rw-r--r--@ 1 MacUser2525  admin   2.9K 22 Jan  2011 index.html

drwxr-xr-x  2 MacUser2525  admin    68B 18 Jan  2011 test/

And of course you see the date in 2011 I started to play with apache on the install. I started with it for the Leopard release, I think I may have given the Tiger a try or two as well leading up to that release. The main idea to a good working build is get it going then do the changes that can be done to make it work the best then leave it alone. The always trying this or that is what leads to all the people complaining of the instability and the hard work at it doing it. There is none it is simple to get working with supported hardware you just have to stop messing with it to have a good experience.

Edit: Now I look at the date I joined it was March 16, 2007 I bought my first mac a Lampshade g4 in a nearby city where I got it dirt cheap as the person there could not figure out how to unlock a password protected mac he had inherited. Doubled my money when I sold it built the pc that allowed me to run OSX later that year and a dual MDD G4 which again I made a pile of money off when sold to a person in Texas, thousand of miles from me. Enough of the lovely memories too bad Apple is so greedy they make a good operating system and could crush windows if they wanted to allow PC hardware to run it supported.

Last edited:

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Can anyone help me with this one?

If ethernet in System Information is recognized, and has BSD as en0, does it mean it should work properly, and i don’t need any kexts?

I would like to know this before wasting money on 35 feet long Ethernet cable.

Last edited:

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Can anyone help me with this one?

If ethernet in System Information is recognized, and has BSD as en0, does it mean it should work properly, and i don’t need any kexts?

I would like to know this before wasting money on 15 foot long Ethernet cable.

If you see something like this showing it then it should be ok I think it says cable not connected when working without a cable there for it to get IP. Telling us the model of network card would probably help for us to tell you more..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 1.44.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 1.44.44 PM.png
    74.3 KB · Views: 122

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Update: Just as I suspected, the Ethernet is working OOB! Thank you!

it is Realtek 8168, btw.

But I have another strange problem. Upon booting, there is black screen. I have to wait for it to go to sleep automatically, so that then I can wake it up, and then it works. After that, I can put it to sleep and wake up as many times as I want, and it never goes back to black screen. The only problem is the first boot.

The GPU in question is Radeon RX 580.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.