Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
our 2016 GE over the cook top microwave died yesterday. It was mounted to the wall with a bracket that the unit sat in and 2 screws into the kitchen cabinet. I was pleasantly surprised that this bracket and the cut out is a standard. That is any GE cook top microwave will mount.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I want to install a video front door camera/doorbell with 2 way audio. I picked up a Ring 2, but when I got home I was faced with this:

EDD4D665-EF8B-43FB-9FB7-878E1F35730E.jpeg 89F01F6B-DEF1-4A19-9587-608FCF6A5C2B.jpeg
The window by the door is an issue, because I’d like the camera doorbell by the White front door frame, between the door and the window. The challenge is to get the wire over there without running exposed wire. I’ve used a wire snake to run wire before, but there are obstacle in the way, namely the window. My wife wants no exposed wires.

Option 2 would be to gouge out a groove in the wood molding, to later to be filled and run the wire 3” to the corner, and then mount the Ring2 in the corner facing out, towards the street not on the side wall.

Anyone have a Ring 2? I’ll research it, but does it have a fish eye lense? If it’s in the corner, I want to be able to see people standing by the front door and don’t know if the corner would be a good enough position, with the camera facing the street. I plan on calling Ring tech support, if they have a number on Monday.

Thanks!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I want to install a video front door camera/doorbell with 2 way audio. I picked up a Ring 2, but when I got home I was faced with this:

The window by the door is an issue, because I’d like the camera doorbell by the White front door frame, between the door and the window. The challenge is to get the wire over there without running exposed wire. I’ve used a wire snake to run wire before, but there are obstacle in the way, namely the window. My wife wants no exposed wires.

Option 2 would be to gouge out a groove in the wood molding, to later to be filled and run the wire 3” to the corner, and then mount the Ring2 in the corner facing out, towards the street not on the side wall.

Anyone have a Ring 2? I’ll research it, but does it have a fish eye lense? If it’s in the corner, I want to be able to see people standing by the front door and don’t know if the corner would be a good enough position, with the camera facing the street. I plan on calling Ring tech support, if they have a number on Monday.

Thanks!
Why not attach a piece of wood behind it at maybe 45 degree angle? I’ve been thinking of getting one for awhile, but as I’m after a new house I guess it can wait!

Wingzfan61

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012

Thanks!

Why don’t you just run it wirelessly and put it wherever you want? Get a $29 ring chime if you do this. The battery will last months before it needs to be charged. Otherwise, if you put it where the current button is, the fisheye of the camera will cover a large area.

Ring pro
08beaa9468e636cd87f8234131096126.jpg

Ring 1
9ef50e683290eebbd3d803b2f8fc5f21.jpg

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Why don’t you just run it wirelessly and put it wherever you want? Get a $29 ring chime if you do this. The battery will last months before it needs to be charged. Otherwise, if you put it where the current button is, the fisheye of the camera will cover a large area.

Ring pro

Ring 1
Thanks!

I really don’t like batteries. Is the camera placed next to the door or is the door on the perpendicular wall to the left in the top image?

It might be possible to mount this camera in the corner on a 45 degree angle. I got around to opening the box and discovered it has an angled mount, not 45 but it might be enough.

Last edited:

Wingzfan61

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
Thanks!

I really don’t like batteries. Is the camera placed next to the door or is the door on the perpendicular wall to the left in the top image?

It might be possible to mount this camera in the corner on a 45 degree angle. I got around to opening the box and discovered it has an angled mount, not 45 but it might be enough.

Mine is next to the door on the angle mount. You get almost a full 180 degrees on the camera.

On the 2nd image that’s my office running on battery. It’s been going for just over a month. I’m at 71%. You can do 3 months pretty easy on that one. It takes about 5 hours to charge the battery. You can also just get a 2nd battery and a charging dock and swap them when needed.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Mine is next to the door on the angle mount. You get almost a full 180 degrees on the camera.

On the 2nd image that’s my office running on battery. It’s been going for just over a month. I’m at 71%. You can do 3 months pretty easy on that one. It takes about 5 hours to charge the battery. You can also just get a 2nd battery and a charging dock and swap them when needed.
The wired ones run off normal bell circuit, correct?

Wingzfan61

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
The wired ones run off normal bell circuit, correct?

Yeah. In my case the transformer dropped the voltage too much and I couldn’t find it to replace it. They show you how to bypass it so I did and decided to bypass the mechanical chime and add ring chimes upstairs and on the main floor.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
We're getting ready for a massive [back]yard project: deck, fence, shed, the deck is a pretty epic build, a wrap-around with a side extension, AC and shed on the deck for maximum flood protection, ramps for deck-to-driveway access. Should be fun, I mean, I'm just doing the design and paying for a much more talented guy to do the actual construction :D

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL

Thanks!
I have the Ring Pro (the narrow one)and I think only choice at the time was the original Ring. There were two issues I had with the original 720p vs 1080p on the Pro. It looks like the Ring 2 upgraded to also 1080p, resolving that issue. The other was the alarm zones which on the website both rings are "Adjustable Motion Detection" where the Ring Pro is "customizable motion detection" The difference is adjustable is full area viewing with high - medium - low sensitivity settings. Customizable is drawing trigger areas on the app, so I could eliminate the road and sidewalk giving false signals as cars or pedestrians passed by.

Mounting - (Mine naturally pointed straight out looking at the street). Before you go to wild tear out alterations, in the box are two wedges referred to as a corner kit to adjust the viewing angle 15, 30 or 45 degrees. https://shop.ring.com/products/corner-kit-for-video-doorbell If it wasn't in the box as the website stated it was, also available for secondary purchase.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have the Ring Pro (the narrow one)and I think only choice at the time was the original Ring. There were two issues I had with the original 720p vs 1080p on the Pro. It looks like the Ring 2 upgraded to also 1080p, resolving that issue. The other was the alarm zones which on the website both rings are "Adjustable Motion Detection" where the Ring Pro is "customizable motion detection" The difference is adjustable is full area viewing with high - medium - low sensitivity settings. Customizable is drawing trigger areas on the app, so I could eliminate the road and sidewalk giving false signals as cars or pedestrians passed by.

Mounting - (Mine naturally pointed straight out looking at the street). Before you go to wild tear out alterations, in the box are two wedges referred to as a corner kit to adjust the viewing angle 15, 30 or 45 degrees. https://shop.ring.com/products/corner-kit-for-video-doorbell If it wasn't in the box as the website stated it was, also available for secondary purchase.
What came in my box was either a 15 or a 30 wedge. I’ll talk to Ring Support tomorrow and get a read from them. What I have may work. Thanks for your help! :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Well, I have the device (Ring 2 Video doorbell) installed and I’m not getting a live image from the camera. I troubleshot and called Ring support this morning. It appears that the WiFi signal to it is not strong enough, which is puzzling because the router sits 35’ from the front door, a clear shot. We have roku devices all over the house able to receive and stream data from the router.

So in an effort to make this work, I ordered a Ring Chime, WiFi extender which I will have tomorrow. Both items are returnable, but fingers crossed this does the trick. :confused:

Reactions: willmtaylor

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Well, I have the device (Ring 2 Video doorbell) installed and I’m not getting a live image from the camera. I troubleshot and called Ring support this morning. It appears that the WiFi signal to it is not strong enough, which is puzzling because the router sits 35’ from the front door, a clear shot. We have roku devices all over the house able to receive and stream data from the router.

So in an effort to make this work, I ordered a Ring Chime, WiFi extender which I will have tomorrow. Both items are returnable, but fingers crossed this does the trick. :confused:

Getting these to work through a front door can be difficult. Really any exterior wireless camera can be difficult. Depending on building materials. I've found sometimes access points five to ten feet away can't get a sufficient signal through the exterior wall to Ring devices. Depending on building materials.

Your best bet for an interior access point. Going by the pictures you provided earlier would likely be the wall by the front door. So it is mostly just trying to get a signal through glass or a wood door.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Getting these to work through a front door can be difficult. Really any exterior wireless camera can be difficult. Depending on building materials. I've found sometimes access points five to ten feet away can't get a sufficient signal through the exterior wall to Ring devices. Depending on building materials.

Your best bet for an interior access point. Going by the pictures you provided earlier would likely be the wall by the front door. So it is mostly just trying to get a signal through glass or a wood door.
I have an update, will report back later today.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
@velocityg4 @Apple fanboy

To recap: New install, I could not pull up a live stream video on my Ring 2 Video doorbell.

Our house has an open floor plan and although there is an open straight shot hallway to the front door, there is a wall right there parallel to the hallway that separates the kitchen, and I believe because the router was in a cabinet right next to the wall, and the device is the corner of the porch in alignment with this interior wall, this is what causes interference in the signal to the device.

After figuring out I had a weak wifi signal at the device, I spoke with Ring Support and discovered there is a RSSI reading with in the Ring App for the device, which basically tells you how strong the wifi signal is at the unit. The tech showed me where to find it, and they already knew because they can get readings from the device. The RSSI on this device was -62. I was told anything less than -60 (greater - number) is bad. I was told I needed to order a Ring Chime Wifi Extender ($49) to boost the signal.

On my own, I moved my router from a small cabinet by the fireplace, (door is usually kept open), in close proximity to the TV mounted over our fireplace, and moved it to sit on top of the cabinet. Then I tested the live stream feature again and it was still a no go.

So I ordered the Ring Chime. But then as I was leaving the house I decided to push the doorbell and see what happened, and a video of me popped up of me standing on our front porch. Ok that was strange because I could not command a live stream from the app without getting an error message.

So I called Ring Tech Support back, and when I tried Live Stream while talking to them, it popped up and I discovered my RSSI reading had rose to -55! Most likely it's because I took it out of the cabinet. I guess it took a while for the unit to adjust or something. So it's working.?

Now I have to decide if I should keep the Ring Chime Wifi extender. I suppose it would be better to keep it if it raises the RSSI signal even more, it would be better not to be on the edge of reception.

One thing I'll say about this Ring unit. They include all sorts of hardware to get it installed, the instructions are simple but in-depth, and they seem to anticipate problems that people run into. Plus their tech support staff (at least in the US, based in Arizona) is accessible and friendly.

So tomorrow the Ring Chime will be delivered, and I'll have another update about improvement of the RSSI of the wifi signal at the device.

One other note, the original doorbell in the house is tied into this ring doorbell so it sounds. And if you have a digital doorbell in the house (something other than a standard ding-dong), they include a diode in this kit so you can hook it into your existing doorbell to keep it working.

Now for some perspective. This unit is very handy. It can be set up with motion alarms that alert you when there is motion at the front door. No one has to ring the doorbell for you to know they are there. It's achillie's heal though is that this system relies on a wifi network for devices to talk to each other in the house, although I think the device can be set up to communicate directly with your phone if you don't have a network in your house. But it would only work when you at at the house with your phone. If you are away from your home, without a network/internet, there is no way the device can communicate with your phone. If I understand it correctly, internet is required to both record video and communicate with your phone when away from the house. Do if the internet goes down, and you are not home, you are out of touch with the device.

It does have a battery, but my impression is that there is no storage contained in the unit. For this you need a paid account, standard is $3/month, or $30/year, a plus account is $10/month, or $100/year. This gets your video recorded in the cloud to review later. If you only want this device to avoid answering the front door, those paid accounts are not required.

And note, if you buy this device from Costco, it's $10 less than at Amazon (did you know Ring is owned by Amazon? I did not until today), but you also get 1 year of a Ring Plus account.

Now can it compete with my hardwired security system? Hmm, probably not when it comes to reliability. I have a hard wired system with motion detection, has wired window sensors and glass breakage, and most importantly has cell backup with a battery. So if the power goes out at the house, the system still functions and it will send out an alarm to my monitoring company.

I think, but have not researched it, that while the Ring Alarm system is monitored, I think all of the Ring Window sensors, everything is battery powered, plus if the internet goes, I don't think you still have an alarm system that can send out an alarm, but this is unverified.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
@velocityg4 @Apple fanboy

To recap: New install, I could not pull up a live stream video on my Ring 2 Video doorbell.

Our house has an open floor plan and although there is an open straight shot hallway to the front door, there is a wall right there parallel to the hallway that separates the kitchen, and I believe because the router was in a cabinet right next to the wall, and the device is the corner of the porch in alignment with this interior wall, this is what causes interference in the signal to the device.

After figuring out I had a weak wifi signal at the device, I spoke with Ring Support and discovered there is a RSSI reading with in the Ring App for the device, which basically tells you how strong the wifi signal is at the unit. The tech showed me where to find it, and they already knew because they can get readings from the device. The RSSI on this device was -62. I was told anything less than -60 (greater - number) is bad. I was told I needed to order a Ring Chime Wifi Extender ($49) to boost the signal.

On my own, I moved my router from a small cabinet by the fireplace, (door is usually kept open), in close proximity to the TV mounted over our fireplace, and moved it to sit on top of the cabinet. Then I tested the live stream feature again and it was still a no go.

So I ordered the Ring Chime. But then as I was leaving the house I decided to push the doorbell and see what happened, and a video of me popped up of me standing on our front porch. Ok that was strange because I could not command a live stream from the app without getting an error message.

So I called Ring Tech Support back, and when I tried Live Stream while talking to them, it popped up and I discovered my RSSI reading had rose to -55! Most likely it's because I took it out of the cabinet. I guess it took a while for the unit to adjust or something. So it's working.?

Now I have to decide if I should keep the Ring Chime Wifi extender. I suppose it would be better to keep it if it raises the RSSI signal even more, it would be better not to be on the edge of reception.

One thing I'll say about this Ring unit. They include all sorts of hardware to get it installed, the instructions are simple but in-depth, and they seem to anticipate problems that people run into. Plus their tech support staff (at least in the US, based in Arizona) is accessible and friendly.

So tomorrow the Ring Chime will be delivered, and I'll have another update about improvement of the RSSI of the wifi signal at the device.

One other note, the original doorbell in the house is tied into this ring doorbell so it sounds. And if you have a digital doorbell in the house (something other than a standard ding-dong), they include a diode in this kit so you can hook it into your existing doorbell to keep it working.

Now for some perspective. This unit is very handy. It can be set up with motion alarms that alert you when there is motion at the front door. No one has to ring the doorbell for you to know they are there. It's achillie's heal though is that this system relies on a wifi network for devices to talk to each other in the house, although I think the device can be set up to communicate directly with your phone if you don't have a network in your house. But it would only work when you at at the house with your phone. If you are away from your home, without a network/internet, there is no way the device can communicate with your phone. If I understand it correctly, internet is required to both record video and communicate with your phone when away from the house. Do if the internet goes down, and you are not home, you are out of touch with the device.

It does have a battery, but my impression is that there is no storage contained in the unit. For this you need a paid account, standard is $3/month, or $30/year, a plus account is $10/month, or $100/year. This gets your video recorded in the cloud to review later. If you only want this device to avoid answering the front door, those paid accounts are not required.

And note, if you buy this device from Costco, it's $10 less than at Amazon (did you know Ring is owned by Amazon? I did not until today), but you also get 1 year of a Ring Plus account.

Now can it compete with my hardwired security system? Hmm, probably not when it comes to reliability. I have a hard wired system with motion detection, has wired window sensors and glass breakage, and most importantly has cell backup with a battery. So if the power goes out at the house, the system still functions and it will send out an alarm to my monitoring company.

I think, but have not researched it, that while the Ring Alarm system is monitored, I think all of the Ring Window sensors, everything is battery powered, plus if the internet goes, I don't think you still have an alarm system that can send out an alarm, but this is unverified.
Thank you. I’ll certainly give it a go when we get our new home. No point bothering here.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thank you. I’ll certainly give it a go when we get our new home. No point bothering here.
I purchased a Ring because it was there. ;) if I had not been impulsive, I would have checked out a Nest to compare before hand. As is, I have no regrets so far with my choice.
[automerge]1570062450[/automerge]

Ring pro

Ring 1
I’ve got my Ring 2 installed and functional. Did you take these pictures? If so, from within the app or another phone?

Wingzfan61

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
I purchased a Ring because it was there. ;) if I had not been impulsive, I would have checked out a Nest to compare before hand. As is, I have no regrets so far with my choice.
[automerge]1570062450[/automerge]

I’ve got my Ring 2 installed and functional. Did you take these pictures? If so, from within the app or another phone?

These are from within the app. I screenshot my phone while viewing the live feed.

Imo, keep the chime/extender you got. Theres all kinds of chimes you can use including holiday ones so it gets kind of fun during holidays. I currently use the baseball “charge” one because its the playoffs.

Beyond that though, it serves as a great wifi extender for the doorbell. The 30/year service may not be necessary since you have a security system. At my office I use my own as well with blue iris. At home though I have the $100/yr because I also have the ring alarm which is fantastic.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
These are from within the app. I screenshot my phone while viewing the live feed.

Imo, keep the chime/extender you got. Theres all kinds of chimes you can use including holiday ones so it gets kind of fun during holidays. I currently use the baseball “charge” one because its the playoffs.

Beyond that though, it serves as a great wifi extender for the doorbell. The 30/year service may not be necessary since you have a security system. At my office I use my own as well with blue iris. At home though I have the $100/yr because I also have the ring alarm which is fantastic.

Thanks for the info. I have to figure out taking a screenshot on my iPhone. :)

Update on Ring Chime
Ref posts 263, 267. I have the Chime setup and since I moved my router, now have a good WiFi connection to my Ring 2 Video Doorbell and don’t need the Chime WiFi extender. I ordered it when I was having trouble initially getting a WiFi connection to the doorbell. However I have decided to keep it because you don’t have to be near your phone to hear an alert. We use the Westminster tone for the doorbell, and wind chimes for a motion alert.

I wish that some of my my other non-Ring WiFi devices could connect though the Chime to my network, but it only appears as a choice for the Ring doorbell.

This morning I got an alert though the Ring App that someone’s car had been broken into 1.7 miles away. Good for awareness. We have several cars that sit outside on the driveway and I am considering a Ring Floodlight Camera for the driveway and the backyard to keep tabs on the pool for when we are away, but they are pricey, $250 each.

Keep in mind this system is completely dependent on WiFi/internet being up and that monitoring with cloud recording involves a subscription.

Last edited:

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
The monitoring with cloud recording costing money is what has been keeping me away from making a decision on these things. I have a couple of Logitech Circle cams and I get 24 hours free, which is good enough for me. I may end up just putting another Circle cam up near the doorbell as my solution.

Wingzfan61

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
The monitoring with cloud recording costing money is what has been keeping me away from making a decision on these things. I have a couple of Logitech Circle cams and I get 24 hours free, which is good enough for me. I may end up just putting another Circle cam up near the doorbell as my solution.

Check out the simplisafe doorbells. I dont believe they charge.

Reactions: tobefirst ⚽️

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia

Doorbird lets you connect the camera to your NAS. I haven't looked much into it but it looks like you can make it private (ie no cloud connection). It does make me wonder if it would allow you to setup a VPN to use it with your smartphones? Keeping everything private but allowing one to still use it remotely like a Ring.

I wouldn't want a doorbell camera unless I had that option of control. Also I'd want to connect it via PoE.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Do they connect via hardwire or WiFi? Where are recordings stored? I assume internet/cloud.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.