Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

To augment my Ring doorbell, I just purchased (Black Friday sale) and installed a Ring Floodlight Cam over the garage doors. Not too hard, I ran an electrical wire over to the front of the house over the garage (I worked as an electrician in a former life ), and had to get up on an extension ladder to attach it to the house. This single camera covers the entire front yard, neighbors yards, and houses across the streets. Yes, I had to turn the range down as to where it detects to just my front yard and driveway. I don't need to be recording cars driving by. I mean I could, but I don't think that is necessary. ;)

Floodlight_Cam_-_White_e0036db7-27e3-48d6-8714-aa0705ece6a3_1400x1400.jpg

My only issue was a senior moment when I hooked the electrical to a lighting circuit in the attic and guess what happened when I turned the attic lights off? And even worse I spent about a 30 minutes troubleshooting why the camera was off line, before it hit me. ? Anyway, I like that there is a Ring network that notifies you of incidents in the neighborhood and nearby.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Plumbing in a washing machine in our new place.
Old water hose was just too short. Typical.

Also stripped out the old fitted wardrobes and rearranged the garage. Busy day. Still lots to do.

Reactions: Huntn

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
To augment my Ring doorbell, I just purchased (Black Friday sale) and installed a Ring Floodlight Cam over the garage doors. Not too hard, I ran an electrical wire over to the front of the house over the garage (I worked as an electrician in a former life ), and had to get up on an extension ladder to attach it to the house. This single camera covers the entire front yard, neighbors yards, and houses across the streets. Yes, I had to turn the range down as to where it detects to just my front yard and driveway. I don't need to be recording cars driving by. I mean I could, but I don't think that is necessary. ;)

My only issue was a senior moment when I hooked the electrical to a lighting circuit in the attic and guess what happened when I turned the attic lights off? And even worse I spent about a 30 minutes troubleshooting why the camera was off line, before it hit me. ? Anyway, I like that there is a Ring network that notifies you of incidents in the neighborhood and nearby.
Actually, for the neighborhood safety, having multiple cams recording cars running through increases the chances of finding miscreants.

I don't even want to guess about legality, though.

At a previous home, I had the entire event recorded of 4-5 guys stealing just about everything from my neighbor.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Actually, for the neighborhood safety, having multiple cams recording cars running through increases the chances of finding miscreants.

I don't even want to guess about legality, though.

At a previous home, I had the entire event recorded of 4-5 guys stealing just about everything from my neighbor.
Ok, you’ve given me something to think about. My initial thought was I don’t want to be recording street traffic every day. However, when the camera kicks on, it does record partial neighbor yards, my front yard, street and 2 neighbors houses/front yards across the street. Now there is a setting that records people only. I assume that is infrared.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Ok, you’ve given me something to think about. My initial thought was I don’t want to be recording street traffic every day. However, when the camera kicks on, it does record partial neighbor yards, my front yard, street and 2 neighbors houses/front yards across the street. Now there is a setting that records people only. I assume that is infrared.
That should depend on how much traffic you get, and how much storage you have available. I also had full video of the guy who stole two bikes out of my garage, and the video got me exactly jack all.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
camera my not be ir; the motion detection is in the video software?

last summer i bought a new nas box. thought to download their "QNAP Surveillance Station" but ran out of personal time. Instead i took the afternoon off and went to a neighborhood meeting and bitched. Go figure it worked. I love the Gotham City police department.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Latest home improvement. Changed out our old cooktop.

Next on my kitchen shortlist, microwave, which is being quite difficult to find an above range 36" microwave and then double-oven change.
Hoping to have them swapped out by 2025'ish?

59744043429__507C8D4C-AB15-4606-AEF2-3FCD7FF364CA.jpeg

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Latest home improvement. Changed out our old cooktop.

Next on my kitchen shortlist, microwave, which is being quite difficult to find an above range 36" microwave and then double-oven change.
Hoping to have them swapped out by 2025'ish?

View attachment 882013
Looks great. I’m quite envious!
[automerge]1576071332[/automerge]
We’ve lived in our current place for 18 months now, and until last week, still had a half bath (powder room) that hadn’t been touched. We have 2 other full baths and time/money just weren’t there. Well, finally got to it the last 2 weeks. It’s a significant facelift. Spent about $1,000 USD on paint, trim, faucet, counter & splashes, mirror, light, & toilet, but did all the labor myself. Pretty pleased at the result.

Before
A3466EB8-4996-4DE4-833F-84CF3224D729.jpeg

After
E6043FED-F560-4338-9596-A5F6B80508BF.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: rhett7660 and Huntn

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
Wall removed between our kitchen and dinning room.
a existing wall can be load bearing in a laetrile sense but also contribute to the structure as preventing the walls left right from splaying out. anyways too late now.

"microwave, which is being quite difficult to find an above range 36" microwave"
-of late lowest prices and moderate selection at homeDepot. I go online for information reviews but actually buy in store at home Depot. I noticed better pricing if I go this rout. ABT.COM is another appliance vendor. You can call em and ask for them to match a homeDepot price. ABT has a slower but more better reliable delivery setup, takes ~7 days. Often home Depot delivery can be faster but unstable.
-My previous over the counter microwave was GE. I re placed the unit with another GE and was able to kept the old bracket in place. Last night i saw a larger than expected microwave rolling around in someone's kitchen. If you want I can get the make model details on Friday evening? Dont really know its width, it looked larger than expected.

"and then double-oven change"
-be aware built in ovens are HEAVY. Especially the older unit you would replace. People think an electric oven is better than gas. I notice there is less odor.

"Changed out our old cooktop"
-there is a movement that gas energy is not sustainable?
-gas in my area dosnt generate that much heat when compared to my new electric cook top. Turn my new electric unit on and its a small nuclear event. It will melt the plating off the frying pan if you let it yet is more controllable on low settings than gas. I hear induction cooking is feasible.

i have a mixture of gas and electric appliances but changing over to electric appliances.

you will notice the new gas or electric appliances are significantly lighter weight. I dont know how this impacts SAFETY for the gas units. Two years ago I almost had a gas dryer catch on fire.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
And you verified it was not load bearing. :)
Definitely not. Added as a feature wall at some point.
[automerge]1576087933[/automerge]
a existing wall can be load bearing in a laetrile sense but also contribute to the structure as preventing the walls left right from splaying out. anyways too late now.

"microwave, which is being quite difficult to find an above range 36" microwave"
-of late lowest prices and moderate selection at homeDepot. I go online for information reviews but actually buy in store at home Depot. I noticed better pricing if I go this rout. ABT.COM is another appliance vendor. You can call em and ask for them to match a homeDepot price. ABT has a slower but more better reliable delivery setup, takes ~7 days. Often home Depot delivery can be faster but unstable.
-My previous over the counter microwave was GE. I re placed the unit with another GE and was able to kept the old bracket in place. Last night i saw a larger than expected microwave rolling around in someone's kitchen. If you want I can get the make model details on Friday evening? Dont really know its width, it looked larger than expected.

"and then double-oven change"
-be aware built in ovens are HEAVY. Especially the older unit you would replace. People think an electric oven is better than gas. I notice there is less odor.

"Changed out our old cooktop"
-there is a movement that gas energy is not sustainable?
-gas in my area dosnt generate that much heat when compared to my new electric cook top. Turn my new electric unit on and its a small nuclear event. It will melt the plating off the frying pan if you let it yet is more controllable on low settings than gas. I hear induction cooking is feasible.

i have a mixture of gas and electric appliances but changing over to electric appliances.

you will notice the new gas or electric appliances are significantly lighter weight. I dont know how this impacts SAFETY for the gas units. Two years ago I almost had a gas dryer catch on fire.
It’s all good. My builder did the work. The joists run parallel to the wall so definitely not load bearing.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
just ignor it?
otherwise
try inexpensive paint thinner, this does well to remove the soap film

there is something called a grout knife. use it to remove some of the old grout and yes re apply new grout

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Looks great. I’m quite envious!
[automerge]1576071332[/automerge]
We’ve lived in our current place for 18 months now, and until last week, still had a half bath (powder room) that hadn’t been touched. We have 2 other full baths and time/money just weren’t there. Well, finally got to it the last 2 weeks. It’s a significant facelift. Spent about $1,000 USD on paint, trim, faucet, counter & splashes, mirror, light, & toilet, but did all the labor myself. Pretty pleased at the result.

Before
View attachment 882078

After
View attachment 882080

Love the colors on the wall in the powder room, what color is it if you don't mind sharing!!!!!! Nicely done.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've had good luck with soft scrub and a carpet brush.
What brand of soft scrub? With marble floor tiles, there is a warning about what chemicals to use because the marble may absorb it. I’m hoping that peroxide or vinegar will,work, but I also read that a mixture of baking soda and water is good.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
What brand of soft scrub? With marble floor tiles, there is a warning about what chemicals to use because the marble may absorb it. I’m hoping that peroxide or vinegar will,work, but I also read that a mixture of baking soda and water is good.

Real Soft Scrub with Bleach. Had 30+ year old white ceramic tile. It took some work but that horribly yellowed tile and grout looked like new. Couldn't answer about marble tile though.

But one thing I found said don't use anything acidic on marble. So bleach and vinegar are out. Perhaps salon 40V clear peroxide or some other 12% hydrogen peroxide would work (wear gloves). Some results say to add some ammonia to the peroxide. I'd start with 3% peroxide though as it could leach color out of the marble. I use the regular pharmacy hydrogen peroxide for carpet stains.

Baking soda is another option. Mostly just for manual abrasive scrubbing. Mixed with a little water. Perhaps oxi clean. Basically you want bases not acids.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Real Soft Scrub with Bleach. Had 30+ year old white ceramic tile. It took some work but that horribly yellowed tile and grout looked like new. Couldn't answer about marble tile though.

But one thing I found said don't use anything acidic on marble. So bleach and vinegar are out. Perhaps salon 40V clear peroxide or some other 12% hydrogen peroxide would work (wear gloves). Some results say to add some ammonia to the peroxide. I'd start with 3% peroxide though as it could leach color out of the marble. I use the regular pharmacy hydrogen peroxide for carpet stains.

Baking soda is another option. Mostly just for manual abrasive scrubbing. Mixed with a little water. Perhaps oxi clean. Basically you want bases not acids.
I used 3% hydrogen peroxide which worked quite well.

61D046FB-049F-4241-977C-384CE97F86A7.jpeg

multi-colored marble tile​

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.