Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Compare the benchmarks with 2012 imac and mba. Then you will have an idea how its gonna happen.

I've just looked at the benchmarks, the new 2018 Macbook Air just about beats my 2012 iMac in single core. Multicore the iMac beats it by around 5,400 points.

It's interesting tho that the iMac can be beaten even if its only in single core, by the new Macbook Air. Yet it seems the iMac is perfectly fine for what i do. It runs Pixelmator Pro fine, i can write and edit photos and videos in iMove and even Final Cut Pro X. But then i did get the iMac with the i7, 16GB Ram and the 3TB Fusion drive back in 2012.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-04-18 at 13.29.04.png
    Screenshot 2019-04-18 at 13.29.04.png
    282.4 KB · Views: 260

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
I've just looked at the benchmarks, the new 2018 Macbook Air just about beats my 2012 iMac in single core. Multicore the iMac beats it by around 5,400 points.

It's interesting tho that the iMac can be beaten even if its only in single core, by the new Macbook Air. Yet it seems the iMac is perfectly fine for what i do. It runs Pixelmator Pro fine, i can write and edit photos and videos in iMove and even Final Cut Pro X. But then i did get the iMac with the i7, 16GB Ram and the 3TB Fusion drive back in 2012.

There are 6 years between your imac and mba. This is normal.

For professional apps imac could still perform better cuz it is what is intended for.

Mba is for casual users and lightweight pro work. This is inbetween macbook and macbook pro.

On multi core your old imac is ahead because it is 4 cores, mba has only 2 cores.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
There are 6 years between your imac and mba. This is normal.

For professional apps imac could still perform better cuz it is what is intended for.

Mba is for casual users and lightweight pro work. This is inbetween macbook and macbook pro.

On multi core your old imac is ahead because it is 4 cores, mba has only 2 cores.

I think it proves that the Macbook Air will be fine for me! Thank you for the assistance :)

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
Outside of things like games having a slower CPU literally just means things will take longer. In some cases just a fraction of a second. I think, for most people, they’ll be happy to wait nanoseconds longer for their family portrait filters to apply and will just run to get some coffee during a home video render - in exchange for the $300+ they save over the Pro. I think you’ll like the Air when you do buy one. In some ways it might seem faster than the iMac thanks to the storage they use.

I’m pretty close myself. I still haven’t given up my 15” Pro though but I still have a few weeks. (Thanks Costco!) Really, I just will miss the speakers and screen size I think. I’m definitely in the go big or go home camp. The 13” Pro just gets too close to the big boi’s price equipped how I’d want.

Reactions: Dave245

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
I think it proves that the Macbook Air will be fine for me! Thank you for the assistance :)

Can u please compare graphic performance results with macbook air 2018 vs macbook pro early 2010. ?
[doublepost=1555595091][/doublepost]
Outside of things like games having a slower CPU literally just means things will take longer. In some cases just a fraction of a second. I think, for most people, they’ll be happy to wait nanoseconds longer for their family portrait filters to apply and will just run to get some coffee during a home video render - in exchange for the $300+ they save over the Pro. I think you’ll like the Air when you do buy one. In some ways it might seem faster than the iMac thanks to the storage they use.

I’m pretty close myself. I still haven’t given up my 15” Pro though but I still have a few weeks. (Thanks Costco!) Really, I just will miss the speakers and screen size I think. I’m definitely in the go big or go home camp. The 13” Pro just gets too close to the big boi’s price equipped how I’d want.

The reason i have choosen mba over the pro was not price difference. I like the form shape very attractive and comfortable on my wrists, extra battery life and silent operation.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Can u please compare graphic performance results with macbook air 2018 vs macbook pro early 2010. ?
[doublepost=1555595091][/doublepost]

The reason i have choosen mba over the pro was not price difference. I like the form shape very attractive and comfortable on my wrists, extra battery life and silent operation.

I had a look online and found this. I assume you mean the early 13" 2010 MacBook Pro. I would be interested to see how it compares against my (now dead) 2011 15" Macbook Pro.

Attachments

• IMG_0072.jpg
    IMG_0072.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 191

BuzzingCricket

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
Coming from a 2012 MBA and a 2016 MBP, I'm not disappointed by the 2018 MBA that I got less than a week ago.

I was worried at first after reading online reviews regarding the 2018 MBA's performance (or lack of) in CPU and graphics, but not any more. Even Windows 10 running on Parallels Desktop works very well.

The only issue I have with it now is somehow Apple Pay is disabled due to changes to security settings, which I'm not sure what that means. I've contacted Apple via chat but was told that I needed to call them for this type of issue. Hopefully this can be resolved without reinstalling everything.

Reactions: The Samurai

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Coming from a 2012 MBA and a 2016 MBP, I'm not disappointed by the 2018 MBA that I got less than a week ago.

I was worried at first after reading online reviews regarding the 2018 MBA's performance (or lack of) in CPU and graphics, but not any more. Even Windows 10 running on Parallels Desktop works very well.

Did you get the 8GB Ram or 16GB version? the one thing i don't understand with the new Air, why did Apple allow the 16GB upgrade but not add an extra option for an i7 processor.

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
Found a deal on the latest model Macbook Air using Best Buy and Costco.

Best Buy has it on sale right now for $999, So does Costco.
Best Buy sells AppleCare+ for MSRP, $249, Costco does for $199 (must be bought w/computer)

Have Best Buy call Costco and price match AppleCare+ (they are separate SKU's The MBA is 1305573 and Applecare+ is 1320766).

If you qualify for the student program (which I did), Best Buy will take an additional $50 off of the Macbook. It's important they adjust the price of the AppleCare+, as the student discount does not apply to price-matches.

Total would be $949 for the MBA, and $199 for Applecare+

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Yep, very helpful, especially for running Parallels and Windows when needed. Also, I believe the RAM is soldered to the logic board and not upgradable. The SSD can be augmented by cloud storage but not the RAM.

Yea I’m looking at getting the 16GB option as well, I think with photo edits and multitasking it will help. I’m planning on keeping it a few years, it will probably help if apps start needing more Ram with time.

livesimply

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2018
East Coast
I am retired. my 9+ year old iMac just died. I sell on ebay, watch some youtube videos, shop online, and just general stuff like make greeting cards using Pages and Photos for photo editing. I do NOT use any Windows programs. I only have about 55gb data on old machine. I just bought a refurb MBA last night with 8gb/256 SSD for $1070 in silver--is it enough memory/storage? How much will the OD & apps use up and leave free for me?

Another question: what is a good, reliable Type-C Hub Adapter for my new MBA?

Thanks! I am not hardware tech-savvy, but I love my Macs! Miss my MBP with touchbar from former employment.

Last edited:

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia
I am retired. my 9+ year old iMac just died. I sell on ebay, watch some youtube videos, shop online, and just general stuff like make greeting cards using Pages and Photos for photo editing. I do NOT use any Windows programs. I only have about 55gb data on old machine. I just bought a refurb MBA last night with 8gb/256 SSD for $1070 in silver--is it enough memory/storage? How much will the OD & apps use up and leave free for me?

Another question: what is a good, reliable Type-C Hub Adapter for my new MBA?

Thanks! I am not hardware tech-savvy, but I love my Macs! Miss my MBP with touchbar from former employment.

I have the MBA 2017, works fine with the latest Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC, I have 70GB remaining from 128GB, including the apps and 8GB of photos from my iPhone

Reactions: livesimply

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
Ordered a new 2018 MacBook Air from bestbuy yesterday for $950. This will be my first new Mac since my 2009 24” iMac failed (haven’t paid for a Mac since then, around 2011 or so). My current machine is/was a 2010 MacBook Pro that failed on Friday. Pretty sure it’s just a hard drive failure (I’ll replace it and see if I can get it running again) but I figured it’s time for a current machine anyway. Still using a 20” iMac g4 and a Mac Pro 2008 regularly :)

NikkiAngel

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Today I just ordered a 2018 MBA 16/512 for $1529 from Apple directly. I feel like I got a good deal overall. At least I hope so!

I really went back and forth over 8 or 16GB. I run a virtual machine and didn’t want to deal with any lagging. Also 256 GB of storage would not be enough for what’s on my current MBP.

The Apple 1 year warranty plus Apple care really put my mind at ease!
Hopefully these specs will “future” proof my Mac for a couple of years.

Chriscalabro

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
Nope, it was just on the refurbished site. I thought it was a good deal and bought it quickly. They had a space gray and gold for the same price.

I just checked and the still have all three colors.

I got s 2018 MBAS 8/256 from Bestbuy during their flash sale yesterday @ $1149. I love the computer BUT I am returning it just ordered the 16/512 refurbished on the Apple site. I loaded most not all of the material I wanted on the 256 and ran out of SSD space. That was my primary concern when buying the air over the pro.

I will say that I have a 2018 MBP 15 16/512 I7 and the air does not leave me feeling the difference. Clearly for daily use the Air is more than enough and the size and weight make it significantly better than the 15 for me. So far I have found nothing that the air can't do for me short of needing the extra SSD space

Reactions: Jayderek

NikkiAngel

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2015
Buffalo, NY
I got s 2018 MBAS 8/256 from Bestbuy during their flash sale yesterday @ $1149. I love the computer BUT I am returning it just ordered the 16/512 refurbished on the Apple site. I loaded most not all of the material I wanted on the 256 and ran out of SSD space. That was my primary concern when buying the air over the pro.

I will say that I have a 2018 MBP 15 16/512 I7 and the air does not leave me feeling the difference. Clearly for daily use the Air is more than enough and the size and weight make it significantly better than the 15 for me. So far I have found nothing that the air can't do for me short of needing the extra SSD space

That’s good to know that the MBA keeps you going without skipping a beat! I’ll be coming from a 2 year old MBP with touchbar that has all the bells and whistles. It’s a business lease so I have to buy my own computer. It works flawlessly but I suspect it’s overkill for what I actually do.

I knew the 128GB wouldn’t been enough storage, and I actually bought the 12” MB yesterday for $800 from Best Buy but I have to pay the storage game to fit everything on it. It’s great little machine and I’m sorry to see it go, but I think the MBA will better suit my needs.

tim0409

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
I'm heading over to the US next month and purchased 2 x MacBooks in the recent BB sale ($899) for my wife and I to replace 2016/17 models we have at the moment. I previously had a 2017 MPB 13" as well but wasn't so keen on it as it felt pretty big compared to the 12"; the weird thing is I have borrowed a friends 2018 MBA and it "feels" so much better/lighter than the MBP despite it only being 10% lighter. I also love Touch ID and the 2018 keyboard feels so much better. I am now seriously tempted by the Air, especially if BB run another sale in the next month. I was really sceptical about the Air (specs/screen) but it really is a nice laptop.

ryannotlaw

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2018
I picked up a 8/256 from BestBuy on sale for $1249 over the weekend. I was going to purchase it from Amazon for the same price, but my eagerness to have it in hand sent me to the big box store. I love it. My last Mac was a 2008 White Macbook. Mac OS has come a long way!

Reactions: Eksoccer99

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Picked up a 2017 8gb/512 on sale for the keyboard and ports.

This will extend the life of my 2013 iMac and get me used to a Mac laptop (I can already see I’ll be using the wired mouse I have). I understand it will be slower and I am okay with the screen.

Wasn’t there a custom contrast setting that someone created for these screens? I vaguely remember reading that here, but it was years ago.

I just couldn’t see spending over $3k on 2019 MBP with that keyboard.

Anyway, I can see why people love the MBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.