Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stark4

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
I just got my i7/16/512 today. I’m running it with my 38” ultra wide at “4K” 21:9 and the machine flies through VMware Fusion, iMovie and Photos. I’m not planning on doing any gaming or 3D work, so an eGPU is probably not necessary at this time.

Which 38" Ultra Wide 21:9 monitor run 4K resolution? Are you living in a future because I can't seem to find it.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
It’s “fake 4K” 3840x1600

I think that should be just "4k" - putting "fake" in quotes implies it's that part isnt accurate, but it is - 4k is quite well defined, and that is not it - that's 74% of even UHD 4K. The term for 3840x1600 is 'UW-QHD+'. Yes I realise that is a mouthful.

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
I've had my i7/16/1TB for a little over a week now but today my Lenovo monitor finally came in. So far so good, no bluetooth issues as of yet. I got the P24H-10 that's a 1440 24" usbc with 2 usb3 ports in the expectation of using them rather than the mini's to avoid issues. I've been using iMac's since the first intel models so it's weird to not have an all in one solution but loving it so far.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
A huge batch of refurbs came through the store, I cart'ed two i7 machines, both 512GB storage, one 8GB RAM, the other 32GB, pulled the trigger on the latter.

:cool:

1568889447528.png

So I debated back and forth on a 32GB OOTB vs. a DIY, it's ~$400 more sourcing it from Apple, that's not trivial, HOWEVER ...

This is a work machine (well, fun machine too :)), so I have to minimize the impact of issues, and like my current MBP (until this past May), I'd also like to know there's no additional costs for 3 years (at least in terms of repair/replacement).

The plan is to get the machine, try it out for a week, if it's solid, I'll add AC+ for $99 (or less), and then I just have to consider the match: for ~$175/year more, for 3 years, no extra cost, no hassles, no worries. :)

Ciderspace666

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2017
UK
Just sold my 27” Retina iMac (2015) and bought a used (Apple warrantied) i5 256GB SSD Mini 2018. Initially had an issue with WiFi dropping off when connecting a USBA hub that was fine with the iMac (without it the WiFi returns) so ditched it and now enjoying the Mini experience. Sticking with 8GB RAM at the moment. Great little machine and perfect for my needs :)

crazeazn

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2009
Anyone having an issue where their dual monitors are not in the right position after sleep/reboot?

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Anyone having an issue where their dual monitors are not in the right position after sleep/reboot?
I sometimes get a bit of weirdness during boot or macos updates, where it can’t decide which single display to use, but otherwise mine seem pretty stable in terms of their arrangement.

crazeazn

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2009
I sometimes get a bit of weirdness during boot or macos updates, where it can’t decide which single display to use, but otherwise mine seem pretty stable in terms of their arrangement.

I am definitely experiencing it. Sometimes if I power the monitors on/off then it seems to fix it.

Pugilares

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2019
Got my my brand new Mini 2018 i7 RAM16 SSD256 few days ago and:
- after start there is no signal to my Eizo S1921
I have to unplug/replug HDMI plug to see the image on the monitor every time I start the Mini from shutdown.
- my Magic keyboard and Magic 2 mouse keeps being disconnected if I try to use WiFi 2.4GHz.
File Vault is off, system updated to 10.4.6 and still the same.
I have few more days I still can just return the Mac mini and get money back and I think I will do this.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Got my my brand new Mini 2018 i7 RAM16 SSD256 few days ago and:
- after start there is no signal to my Eizo S1921
I have to unplug/replug HDMI plug to see the image on the monitor every time I start the Mini from shutdown.
- my Magic keyboard and Magic 2 mouse keeps being disconnected if I try to use WiFi 2.4GHz.
File Vault is off, system updated to 10.4.6 and still the same.
I have few more days I still can just return the Mac mini and get money back and I think I will do this.
Yikes, I can't blame you for returning it. That's totally unacceptable for the price of the Mac and I would do the same if I experienced all that. I've had a couple of days of my TouchPad 2 trackpad dropping connections and that's without anything else plugged in. So ? far no issues with my HDMI port as I got it plugged into a 24" Viewsonic.

Qot

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2016
Ugh, Minis are so unpopular that resellers in Chile (that still doesn't have even online Apple Store!) sell only basic i3 and i5 models: 8GB RAM, 128/256GB storage.

Trying to get one forward-shipped from the US, wish me luck.

Reactions: frou

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
Just ordered my new i7 8GB 1TB mini and a 16GB kit from crucia, saving over £100 by installing the ram myself. Shame the SSD is soldered on, if it was a standard NVME drive I’d have done that myself as well

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Ordered an i7 512 8gb with 32gb crucial kit to do the upgrade.

chose this route after my 2018 MBA randomly wouldn’t boot. Currently being warranted w Apple care.

surprised at the performance benchmarks for the mini i7! Pairing it with my existing blackmagic egpu. MBA will likely play second fiddle.

Mannaerts

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Belgium, Antwerp
Yikes, I can't blame you for returning it. That's totally unacceptable for the price of the Mac and I would do the same if I experienced all that. I've had a couple of days of my TouchPad 2 trackpad dropping connections and that's without anything else plugged in. So ? far no issues with my HDMI port as I got it plugged into a 24" Viewsonic.
I have the same problem after shutdown but i keep it in sleepmode all the time because of it

McTaste

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
How long are BTOs taking these days? I placed an order on the evening of Nov 17 and the order status hasn’t changed yet.

Kind of disappointing they only seem to stock base models at Apple Stores.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
How long are BTOs taking these days? I placed an order on the evening of Nov 17 and the order status hasn’t changed yet.

Kind of disappointing they only seem to stock base models at Apple Stores.

Here where I live, about 3-5 weeks, sometimes even more. We have only premium resellers, no official Apple store. And the prices are ... well, not for my wallet.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Here where I live, about 3-5 weeks, sometimes even more. We have only premium resellers, no official Apple store. And the prices are ... well, not for my wallet.

Resellers apparently have a really **** situation for BTOs. I asked a Premium Reseller about a new Mac mini just barely over a year ago (I ended up ordering from Apple online on 22/11/2018) - they said they can do BTO, asked what I wanted, and then went to get a price/ETA. The price I don't believe I ever saw, because the ETA they gave me was "January" and I basically walked out the store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.