Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
The first thing that happens is that DHL get shipping notification, then it takes 3 - 4 business days until DHL has the package in hand in Eindhoven and you get the first change of status. After that I goes very rapidly.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
well, I got the tracking number for my MBP (16” 2.3 i9, 8gb 5500 M, 32gb, 1TB) for delivery to store. Apple originally said pickup dec 17. Now it is dec 13. UPS originally said delivery dec 10 to store. Now delivery dec 12 to store. Boo! Looks like Apple’s date of dec 13 will be accurate :(

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
Just got a 2016 15" MBP yesterday via a trade. Everything is nice except this keyboard lol

aloper

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2015
Rocklin, CA
Ordered the base 16 MBP, with 1TB upgrade on Dec 4th. Just got my shipment notification and should be delivered this Friday, Dec 13th, via FedEx...

steggerwoof

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Liverpool, England
Finally took the plunge and upgraded my 2015 Macbook Pro.
I do mostly photography related work with Lightroom and Photoshop / Affinity Photo with some video editing in Premiere Pro, all of this work is done on my Retina 5K iMac, I'm looking forward to being able to have similar performance on the move with the 16" Macbook :)

Screenshot 2019-12-10 at 05.30.21.png

Reactions: iPhone1

Idec50

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
TX
Welp, after quite a bit of time considering, I ordered it fully loaded. Quite a high price but I have determined that it will help me with my job (heavy R and Postgres user, windows VMs with applications requiring RAM, tons of data, and currently cluttering up shared environments). Should ship directly to me December 19th. Pretty excited about putting this thing through the paces. Of all the issues I've read about, the heating during external monitor usage has me most concerned but I'll have a 2017 MBP to compare to until I sell it.

I really can't wait to move from 256GB to 8TB lmfao. That is a killer feature that you can't find elsewhere on portable machines. Going from 32GB to 64GB will make it possible to run anything locally that would previously be run on other machines, aside from live production servers. The GPU and CPU upgrades weren't critical but at this point they aren't saving much. I believe this machine will last me five years and at that point 64GB and 8TB will still be non-standard, it will likely be 32GB and 2TB - or lower if Apple has moved on from MBP.

Reactions: The Samurai

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
So, my MBP is scheduled to be delivered to the store today. I paid for my Mac ahead of time with my Apple Card and got 3% back. However, now Apple is doing a 6% back promo with Apple Card - would it be possible for me to return the Mac on the spot, and repurchase it for 6% back?

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
So, my MBP is scheduled to be delivered to the store today. I paid for my Mac ahead of time with my Apple Card and got 3% back. However, now Apple is doing a 6% back promo with Apple Card - would it be possible for me to return the Mac on the spot, and repurchase it for 6% back?

just talk to them and they should let you do it hopefully!

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Picked up my 16" MacBook Pro 2.3/32GB/8GB 5500M/1TB + AppleCare yesterday. It's a beaut of a machine, that's for sure. Grateful I sold my 2018 for this one. Only gripe - wish it could run Mojave. Hah!

Reactions: MuGeN PoWeR

aloper

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2015
Rocklin, CA
Just curious...anyone who has ordered a new Macbook Pro 16'...Did your laptop sit in China for like 3 or more days before it shipped? Placed my order and got a shipment notification from Apple and tracking the link, via FedEx. FedEx has had it since this past Sunday night, and today it's Wednesday...and there has been no movement at all...Each update for the last three days is the same on the FedEx site...

SHANGHAI CN At local FedEx facility

FedEx shows a delivery by this Friday but Apple says by next week...Tend to think Apple might be right in this case...

trailmonkey

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
Mine took 2-3 days to build then another 3-4 to reach Holland.

Apple ETA upon shipping was 17th Dec but I figured that was them being conservative.

Currently waiting at home here in the UK for DHL Express to deliver. Losing hope as it’s nearly 6pm and assume they don’t work into the evening.

Last edited:

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
Picked up my 16" MacBook Pro 2.3/32GB/8GB 5500M/1TB + AppleCare yesterday. It's a beaut of a machine, that's for sure. Grateful I sold my 2018 for this one. Only gripe - wish it could run Mojave. Hah!

i am also thinking of doing this? How do you like it compared to your 2018 15?

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
It’s quite similar, to be honest. Love the bigger screen, keyboard, and better battery. Thrilled about the increase in RAM and better graphics but have not put those to the test yet. Have to get used to a physical esc key again. Its barely thicker but I did feel the difference, and I appreciate it being just a little bit thicker. I bought this because I couldn’t trust my 2018 15” to last; this machine is built to last me into the future. And I believe it will.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
It’s quite similar, to be honest. Love the bigger screen, keyboard, and better battery. Have to get used to a physical esc key again. Its barely thicker but I did feel the difference, and I appreciate it being just a little bit thicker. I bought this because I couldn’t trust my 2018 15” to last; this machine is built to last me into the future. And I believe it will.

why couldnt you trust your 2018 MBP?

Idec50

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
TX
ohk. i havent had problems with the keyboard except E key which prints twice sometimes!

IMO it's inevitable. The E key is just the beginning. Mine started with a finicky space bar then around a dozen keys stopped working (occasionally). I use an external keyboard 95% of the time, never eat around the machine, and I use compressed air on it regularly.

Seems quite silly posting this, but my delivery was scheduled for Thursday the 19th and was bumped up to Monday the 16th, so that's nice.

Reactions: MuGeN PoWeR

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
MacBook Pro 16"
Silver
Base model other than 32GB RAM upgrade. This is my first time buying a MacBook in many, many years. We'll see if I run into any problems.

Reactions: Anonymous Freak

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
MBP 16 - Space Gray, 8 core i9 "higher base model", then upgraded to 32 GB RAM and the 8 GB GPU.

First brand new Mac since the first-generation MacBook Pro ordered the day of the Intel transition in 2006.

The funny part is that I'm just fine with using older hardware - my last four Macs have been systems I purchased used when they were already at least 3 years old. I was just considering "upgrading" from my 2012 rMBP to a 2016 MBP; or maybe upgrading my 2011 iMac to a 2014 or 2015 5K iMac.

But my wife's MacBook Air (2013 purchased refurbished when it was still the "new" model) is starting to get up there in age, so she texted me "You have my permission to get a new laptop computer. You can use new and I can use yours. If it could run games like Fortnite, I'm sure [our kid] would like that when friends are over." Then some back and forth about what my current rMBP can do as her new computer "yes, it's far faster than your MBA, yes, it can do [abc], yes it can still be updated to the latest software..." Then she says "Make sure to get one that can keep up with the times."
To which I replied "That's a dangerous statement to make ?"
"Do not spend 60,000"
?

So, got a "reasonably loaded" 16"er, when I wasn't planning on buying a new one at all. The only part I'm annoyed about is that the latest MBPs don't have WiFi 6/802.11ax. I have WiFi 6 routers, and my work laptop has it; so it would be nice if my MBP had it.

Ironically, she did this a couple years ago with iPhones. I was on an iPhone 7, and fine with it. she decided I should upgrade to the (then current) iPhone X and pass my iPhone 7 down to the kid. When buying the iPhone X, "get the highest capacity one for when you pass it down." Okay, I won't say no to that! (Still on the X, I'll probably keep it another year or two before upgrading to a 11S or 12 or whatever is then current.)

ltorrelles

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
Finally decided to upgrade and retire my 2012 rMBP which I bought brand new and fully specc'd back then. 7 years it's been! These machines are made to last.

Waiting for my 16" MBP, i9 2.3GHz, 5500M 4GB, 1TB SSD, and 32 GB of ram. Need headroom for those Chrome tabs! Will use it for heavy video post-production (Resolve and Premiere/After effects) and light audio and graphic design tasks.

Delivery originally planned for the 30th of december, then 20, finally arriving the 23rd. Yikes!

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Finally decided to upgrade and retire my 2012 rMBP which I bought brand new and fully specc'd back then. 7 years it's been! These machines are made to last.

Waiting for my 16" MBP, i9 2.3GHz, 5500M 4GB, 1TB SSD, and 32 GB of ram. Need headroom for those Chrome tabs! Will use it for heavy video post-production (Resolve and Premiere/After effects) and light audio and graphic design tasks.

Delivery originally planned for the 30th of december, then 20, finally arriving the 23rd. Yikes!

Nice! Hey, did you ever replace your 2012's Macbook Pro battery over the 7 years?

Nirmw

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2019

when you have bought? Now the delivery date is 9 Jan...

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

Same upgrade here. Dang, ordered mine last Thursday, original date was 30th, now it says 27th. Only change between yours and mine is I went for the 8 GB GPU.

Nice! Hey, did you ever replace your 2012's Macbook Pro battery over the 7 years?

I didn't have to on my 2012 rMBP. Still gets 5-7 hours of "light use". (Lasts an entire Dungeons & Dragons game night using a Google Sheets based character sheet.)

TipToe

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2019
After endless reviews and 5.5 years with a surface pro 3, which is still in perfect order as it has spent 98% of its time in the SP3 Dock with battery cycle count of 253 but the time to upgrade was required.

Not sure what I will do with SP3 but time will tell.

My spec ordered today was the space grey 16 inch through EPP so got 6% discount.

Hardware
  • 2.4GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
  • 32GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
  • 2TB SSD storage
I had an iMac about 7 years ago a struggled with Mac OS as I have been a windows person all my life.

So willing to try MAC OS again and pleased with spec and gets delivered Thursday.

Will post something on the MacBook Pro forum.

Reactions: The Samurai
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.