Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
There have been questions recently about the ignore function. This is an attempt to explain how the function works and how it relates to the forum rules.

A healthy difference of opinion is necessary for a good discussion. That said, we know that temperatures can run high when certain subjects are discussed online. If you find yourself irritated by certain users' posts, the best solutions are to ignore them or reply to them politely.

There is one other alternative. The forum software has an ignore feature. If you enable this function, you won't see posts by users whom you've included on your ignore list. You won't see quoted posts from ignored users, but you will see replies to quotes. Keep in mind that that can look a little odd without the context of the quoted post.

It's not possible to ignore posts written by moderators or administrators. This is because those staff members occasionally need to post a mod or admin note in a thread, and these posts contain information all thread participants need to see. Staff members are first and foremost forum users, which means they also post as regular forum users. The posts they make as staff members are almost always prefaced by "Mod note" or "Admin note" and are easy to spot from their content.

If you decide to put another user on your ignore list, don't post about it in a thread. Your post will always be off-topic to the thread subject, and may well be considered trolling. It's reasonable to assume that such a post will irritate the user involved, and may well irritate other thread participants. If you post about putting a user on your ignore list, your post will be moderated.

It's fine to post general questions or comments about the ignore feature in the Site and Forum Feedback section, but please remember: don't post about or refer to specific moderation in the forums. Do direct any questions, complaints, or comments about specific moderation via the Contact Us form.

Remember, there is value in allowing your own opinions to be challenged. If however you want a little help to avoid getting in trouble over the rules, or you simply want to reduce a bit of online stress, the ignore feature is a tool you can try.

Here's one way to activate the ignore feature:

• Go to your profile page by clicking your avatar in the upper right-hand corner of any forum page.
  • Click on "People you ignore".
  • Add the username, and click "Save changes".

Another way is to click the user's name in a thread, then select ignore in the resulting profile pop-up.

Last edited:

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
If you decide to put another user on your ignore list, don't post about it in a thread. Your post will always be off-topic to the thread subject, and may well be considered trolling. It's reasonable to assume that such a post will irritate the user involved, and may well irritate other thread participants. If you post about putting a user on your ignore list, your post will be moderated.

Thank you for this thread!

... and in particular for making clear the points above. :)

iTurbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
It's also possible to ignore entire (sub-)forums. I have PRSI on mine and no individual users.

I'm full of opinions and like a good argument, but have enough places to do that already ;)

I tried this, and honestly it didn't seem to actually do anything.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Good sticky…
It is a shame that there isn’t a way to see who is ignoring you.

Even though I use the ignore feature very liberally I do actually worry about irritating the people I have ignored when they are seeking a response from me and don’t realize I don’t even see it.

My goal with the ignore feature is not to mute people or piss them off, but simply to make things better for myself.

The only hole in the game seems to be when those people who are being ignored reply to you and don’t get any notification or have anyway to realize that I will never see it.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Good sticky…
It is a shame that there isn’t a way to see who is ignoring you.

Even though I use the ignore feature very liberally I do actually worry about irritating the people I have ignored when they are seeking a response from me and don’t realize I don’t even see it.

My goal with the ignore feature is not to mute people or piss them off, but simply to make things better for myself.

The only hole in the game seems to be when those people who are being ignored reply to you and don’t get any notification or have anyway to realize that I will never see it.

In other words, you don't want to see the posts of those you ignored but would still prefer to get one of those XXXXXXX quoted your post in the tread XXXXXXXXX messages, so you know if you might want to turn it off temporarily?

I would guess that is something the software can't do, likely being an all or nothing kind of setting.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
In other words, you don't want to see the posts of those you ignored but would still prefer to get one of those XXXXXXX quoted your post in the tread XXXXXXXXX messages, so you know if you might want to turn it off temporarily?

I would guess that is something the software can't do, likely being an all or nothing kind of setting.

Probably just as well not to pay further attention to an ignored member. There was some reason one decided to put someone else on ignore to begin with, right? Maybe to keep from posting a violation-worthy post in response? That's a good reason, so a rinse and repeat situation might not be worth the effort.

Some members just go through and prune out their entire ignore list once in awhile, figuring whatever it was with any of the members on the list is over now. Heh, but sometimes you discover you're about to un-ignore a suspended member, which may mean you were quite wise to get out before something boiled over out on the boards.

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I would like for ignore function to be more restrictive. For example, ignored member should not be able interact with my posts (reply to them).

This way people would realize that they are ignored by that member, they would not bother replying, while their replies are not even being read.

That will likely never happen, because it's one thing to for you to chose not to see all posts, but it's not up to you to decide what others see.

In real life we can decide who hears what we say, at least while we're saying it. On an online forum, however, the nature of the beast is that anyone who wants, can read what we write in the forum sections that are available to all.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I can say I don't understand this feature. I have ignored a user (as a test) and ignored threads (primary purpose for this) and in both cases, the thread and the post are still visible. I would to ignore threads and users, but it appears to be a function that works for some users and not others.

Sadly, no way to ignore moderators. That would truly make this a useful tool (if it worked in the first place).

Reactions: trsblader

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I can say I don't understand this feature. I have ignored a user (as a test) and ignored threads (primary purpose for this) and in both cases, the thread and the post are still visible. I would to ignore threads and users, but it appears to be a function that works for some users and not others.

Sadly, no way to ignore moderators. That would truly make this a useful tool (if it worked in the first place).
The ignore function is currently not working properly after the recent forum upgrade but is being worked on and should be up and running again soon.

As stated in the first post, you cannot ignore a moderator.
It's not possible to ignore posts written by moderators or administrators. This is because those staff members occasionally need to post a mod or admin note in a thread, and these posts contain information all thread participants need to see. Staff members are first and foremost forum users, which means they also post as regular forum users. The posts they make as staff members are almost always prefaced by "Mod note" or "Admin note" and are easy to spot from their content.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Glad to hear the ignore function is being worked on. I'm looking forward to re-ignoring a bunch of forums I have little interest in viewing, especially under the 'New Posts' section link.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I don't use it, and have never used it, (rather, I simply 'ignore', in the standard sense of that word, sections of the forum and threads that I don't much care for), however, I like the fact that it exists, and is there, should the need to use it arise.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Thank you providing this feature and planning on continuing to support it in the new version of the forum.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
That will likely never happen, because it's one thing to for you to chose not to see all posts, but it's not up to you to decide what others see.

In real life we can decide who hears what we say, at least while we're saying it. On an online forum, however, the nature of the beast is that anyone who wants, can read what we write in the forum sections that are available to all.

The thing is, there is no point in replying to someone's post if they ignored you. They are never gonna see it, anyway. Same applies vice versa.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.