Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Since the upgrade, you can see threads started by ignored users, this used to be hidden. Is this something you can bring back? It was one of the best features of the ignore system.

Thank you for mentioning this.
I just noticed this the other day also and it is unfortunate.

I wonder if it is intentional because they presume there will be other good discussion in a thread even if an ignored User starts it?

That said, if you are really trying to avoid the type of discourse a certain User would engage in I would argue that you don’t even want to be in a thread they start under most circumstances and it would be nice to have them hidden.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Is it possible to add to the functionality of the ignore function such that you can see what users are ignoring you.

At the very least, can you indicate that you are being ignored by a user when you reply to the user's post in a thread ?

I can't see any negative ramifications and it would be nice to know that you aren't wasting your time with a long and thoughtful reply to a post if the person will not even see the reply.

Last edited:

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Is it possible to add to the functionality of the ignore function such that you can see what users are ignoring you.

At the very least, can you indicate that you are being ignored by a user when you reply to the user's post in a thread ?

I can't see any negative ramifications and it would be nice to know that you aren't wasting your time with a long and thoughtful reply to a post if the person will not even see the reply.

I see your point, but users who haven't ignored you will still reap the benefit of a long, thoughtful answer you write, since they'll see both the post you respond to and your response.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA

One negative ramification that I can see is that the folks who cannot control themselves, or those who suffer from "entitlement syndrome", will throw a tantrum if they knew who was ignoring them. This may contribute to bullying, thread hijacking, unnecessary posts, etc. Then it may cause extra work for the mods to come in and get the situation back under control.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
One negative ramification that I can see is that the folks who cannot control themselves, or those who suffer from "entitlement syndrome", will throw a tantrum if they knew who was ignoring them. This may contribute to bullying, thread hijacking, unnecessary posts, etc. Then it may cause extra work for the mods to come in and get the situation back under control.

I agree. I've seen many sites/apps that allow users to ignore other users and I can't think of any of them where they allow the person being ignored to become aware of that. I think the system is fine the way it is.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I agree with the text above.

It’s too bad there’s no way for somebody to know they are being ignored if they specifically mention you though.

A few times I have noticed somebody irritated that I’m not responding to their point because I couldn’t even see it.

(I had unhidden the ignores on a page)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

I've mentioned this a few times - several reasons it would be better, you'd have better context, and thread content flow (see post #31), taking the time to address someone, in a thoughtful manner, when they'll never see it, and it's of no particular relevance to anyone else, I had a previous post where I put more time into the rationale behind it ...

I understand the reasoning behind why not, but I disagree :) (doesn't matter, it's never going to change).

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I've mentioned this a few times - several reasons it would be better, you'd have better context, and thread content flow (see post #31), taking the time to address someone, in a thoughtful manner, when they'll never see it, and it's of no particular relevance to anyone else, I had a previous post where I put more time into the rationale behind it ...

I understand the reasoning behind why not, but I disagree :) (doesn't matter, it's never going to change).

I agree.

It makes me much less inclined to reply to someone if I don't know if they are actually receiving the post.

I think it makes much more sense if you are not allowed to reply to a post of someone that has ignored you (i.e. grey the reply button out).

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I agree.

It makes me much less inclined to reply to someone if I don't know if they are actually receiving the post.

I think it makes much more sense if you are not allowed to reply to a post of someone that has ignored you (i.e. grey the reply button out).
Even though a fellow poster has put you on the ignore list, doesn’t mean you won’t have an insightful comment for the internet at large.

Last edited:
Reactions: Populus and sman789
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.