Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
I did not do the full installer for todays update. Only the 40MB OTA. Kind of wish I did the full installer, would have saved me a lot of time.

10.3.2 -> 10.3.3 doesn't require full installer. And the fact that B6 -> Final didn't require full installer shows that B6 was a final candidate.

So it sounds like apple make beta testers do the full installer when they think they're close to a Gm, presumably to overwrite the previous beta tested versions, but don't make users do them going from public versions

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
So it sounds like apple make beta testers do the full installer when they think they're close to a Gm, presumably to overwrite the previous beta tested versions, but don't make users do them going from public versions
Yes. Usually the first beta and the last beta (final candidate) are full installers. If Apple does not seed a final candidate, then the final from beta is usually the full installer.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
Yes. Usually the first beta and the last beta (final candidate) are full installers. If Apple does not seed a final candidate, then the final from beta is usually the full installer.

Does the fact that they employ full installers say anything about whether the public should be using full installers or is it purely best practices for launching software at scale?

The only time I've done a full installer I've run in to problems..

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
This is the last version of iOS 10 right?
Yes. Unless there is an emergency security update.
[doublepost=1500559871][/doublepost]
Does the fact that they employ full installers say anything about whether the public should be using full installers or is it purely best practices for launching software at scale?

The only time I've done a full installer I've run in to problems..
Full installers are used with beta 1 because it has all the beta software bundled in. Full installers are used for the the final. Because it's removing all the beta software from that was bundled in.

I have never once had a problem with a full installer. But about 50% of my OTAs for the last 5+ years have been bad installs.

Reactions: Galacticos

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
Maybe my ocd is playing up but i went ota with beta 6 to final and slightly lag here and there nothing to bad, should i restore with ipws with final one or will it not make any difference, i always feel fresh when its restored and not updated but maybe thats ocd lol

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Maybe my ocd is playing up but i went ota with beta 6 to final and slightly lag here and there nothing to bad, should i restore with ipws with final one or will it not make any difference, i always feel fresh when its restored and not updated but maybe thats ocd lol
Thats what I was experiencing. I reset all settings on both devices. Pain in the butt to set up, but seems to be okay.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I mean a backup you did before updating
I can't. I have an Apple Watch. So I would lose my streaks/data. I'm at 289 days in a row of perfect circles. Not risking losing that. Every time I get this close to the 365 medal, something happens and my data is erased. Only 76 more days! Have had my watch for over 2 years (since launch) and still unable to get the 365 day medal.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
I can't. I have an Apple Watch. So I would lose my streaks/data. I'm at 289 days in a row of perfect circles. Not risking losing that. Every time I get this close to the 365 medal, something happens and my data is erased. Only 76 more days! Have had my watch for over 2 years (since launch) and still unable to get the 365 day medal.

Hehe. Dedicated

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
I think this is intentional :Do_O

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I think this is intentional :Do_O
I'm beginning to think you are right. Last year, I was at 310 days when I was hit by the iOS 10.1 health restore bug. I was so upset! Yes first world problems, but I bust my butt off every single day and I really want that damn medal!

I just need to make it till iOS 11 is released to public, then my health data will always be safe in the cloud.

I'm probably the reason why they finally broke up health data from backups. I have written in 200+ feedbacks about it because every single time something goes wrong, Apple makes you do a restore as new, and there goes health data.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
I'm beginning to think you are right. Last year, I was at 310 days when I was hit by the iOS 10.1 health restore bug. I was so upset! Yes first world problems, but I bust my butt off every single day and I really want that damn medal!

I just need to make it till iOS 11 is released to public, then my health data will always be safe in the cloud.

I'm probably the reason why they finally broke up health data from backups. I have written in 200+ feedbacks about it because every single time something goes wrong, Apple makes you do a restore as new, and there goes health data.
They should've done cloud syncing from the start if you ask me. I've lost my data so many times I just don't care about the activity tracker anymore.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I'm fairly certain this thread is now about to die permanently. The chances we get more updates are very low. Only security emergencies at this point, and being only 8 weeks away. Very unlikely.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
I'm fairly certain this thread is now about to die permanently. The chances we get more updates are very low. Only security emergencies at this point, and being only 8 weeks away. Very unlikely.

can't come soon enough. solely for a new iPhone.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Yes. Unless there is an emergency security update.
[doublepost=1500559871][/doublepost]
Full installers are used with beta 1 because it has all the beta software bundled in. Full installers are used for the the final. Because it's removing all the beta software from that was bundled in.

I have never once had a problem with a full installer. But about 50% of my OTAs for the last 5+ years have been bad installs.
You should try the process I always do for OTA. Only 1 time have I had an OTA update issue that required be to do something to get things sorted and that was before I started this process. Close all apps, then reboot device. Install update as soon as it comes back up before launching any other apps. Never had an OTA update issue since and I run all the betas too. Maybe luck? Maybe this process? It makes perfect since tho to close down everything before updating an OS.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
You should try the process I always do for OTA. Only 1 time have I had an OTA update issue that required be to do something to get things sorted and that was before I started this process. Close all apps, then reboot device. Install update as soon as it comes back up before launching any other apps. Never had an OTA update issue since and I run all the betas too. Maybe luck? Maybe this process? It makes perfect since tho to close down everything before updating an OS.
For the most part I have all apps closed on my device before OTAs. But I have never rebooted directly before an update. Will definitely try that with 11.0.1.

Reactions: sbailey4

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
Wow I have never once had a ota update fail.... and I install the first day (usually the first hour) they are released.

If 50% was of your updates are failing there must be something wrong.

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Wow I have never once had a ota update fail.... and I install the first day (usually the first hour) they are released.

If 50% was of your updates are failing there must be something wrong.
They don't fail. Never said they fail. I said I have issues after the install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.