Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Thanks!

Is there perhaps a free alternative that does it all, similar to Adguard Pro?
Adguard is only $.99 and well worth that price to block annoying ads in every app.

On my Android Devices, it costs $9.99 for a year and they have a lifetime sub also. That too was well worth the price and I bought it on three of my Android phones.

$.99 is a steal.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
AdBlock sounds swell (thanks for the tip C DM!), but I'm, for some reason, always wary of these system wide VPN solutions.

Is this something that people here use and can, from a purely personal standpoint, endorse?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
AdBlock sounds swell (thanks for the tip C DM!), but I'm, for some reason, always wary of these system wide VPN solutions.

Is this something that people here use and can, from a purely personal standpoint, endorse?
Yes, it's highly regarded by many in the forum and a rep for the company is an active forum participant.

Reactions: Mefisto

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Adblock sounds swell (thanks for the tip C DM!), but I'm, for some reason, always wary of these system wide VPN solutions.

I used Adblock for several months without any problems. It just didn't block all the ads that I wanted it to like Adguard does.

I'm not sure how you even go about finding out what adserver an app uses so you can block those ads so I just put up with the few ads getting through.

Reactions: Mefisto

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Yes, it's highly regarded by many in the forum and a rep for the company is an active forum participant.

I used Adblock for several months without any problems. It just didn't block all the ads that I wanted it to like Adguard does.

I'm not sure how you even go about finding out what adserver an app uses so you can block those ads so I just put up with the few ads getting through.

Both replies much appreciated, thank you!

Let's give this thing a go, then.

Reactions: willmtaylor

oodi

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2015
What is the dns requests log section in adguard pro? Does it determine the server side logging or the client side logging? What exactly does it log?

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
What is the dns requests log section in adguard pro? Does it determine the server side logging or the client side logging? What exactly does it log?

This is a client side log showing what DNS requests are actually executed.

Its purpose is to help us find missed ad servers and trackers.

Reactions: oodi

oodi

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2015
I must admit this fake vpn concept is really very clever. I like it.

But how does ios works when both adguard and tunnelbear both are enabled. How it decides whose response to take into consideration? Does it even send the request to both of them? Or in what order are they executing?

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
But how does ios works when both adguard and tunnelbear both are enabled. How it decides whose response to take into consideration? Does it even send the request to both of them? Or in what order are they executing?

It seems that Apple routes traffic through one VPN, which is routed through the second one. Pretty complicated and I don't know how good is it when both VPN are real. In our case it works ok as nothing in fact is routed through Adguard's VPN, we just use it to change the DNS settings.
[doublepost=1476054478][/doublepost]
Please consider trimming Adguard Pro. 99 MB is quite hefty compared to Disconnect Pro's 15,4 MB.

Most of the size is taken by the tutorial video. We'll put it on our server eventually.

Sparxxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2009
Are you kidding me? Diconnect Pro wants 39$ for the app? WTF? how is it better than any other free or 2-5$ app blocker out there?
Thanks

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
Are you kidding me? Diconnect Pro wants 39$ for the app? WTF? how is it better than any other free or 2-5$ app blocker out there?

Hm, you know what, at first I thought that they provide a full-scaled VPN and $39 is a very good price.

However, after further reading, I came to a conclusion that they do the very same thing as "Adblock by Futuremind":
We use Virtual Private Network (VPN) technology to set a configuration profile that prevents trackers and hackers from accessing your Internet activity. Unlike full-fledged VPNs this product does NOT slow down your Internet, route your traffic through our servers or mask your IP address.

This is not a real VPN, just a VPN-profile-based ad blocker. Huh, and now I am impressed if not say otherwise.

Tomovich

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2007
Which iOS content blocker is the best for the moment? Is there some sort of "stabilization" of the current crop of content blockers? I don't think it's that fast changing as before.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Which iOS content blocker is the best for the moment? Is there some sort of "stabilization" of the current crop of content blockers? I don't think it's that fast changing as before.
There really isn't any particular one. Quite a few good ones that basically people try and see which one perhaps works better for their needs and just stick with one of them.

DaPizzaMan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2016
+1

I'm using the non-pro (free) version of Adguard and it's been great on all our devices. Not sure what the pro version adds though.
From the app description:
- Ad blocking by DNS. In this mode Adguard will block ads, trackers and phishing websites in all apps and browsers, not just in Safari. This will help against intrusive ads interrupting your favorite game or annoying you while you're trying to send messages to your friends.

- 'Family protection' mode will protect your children from adult content on the web, backed up with excellent ad blocking and protection against malicious websites. Also, safe search will be enforced for your browser.

- Flexible configuration. You have a favorite website you'd like to support? Request log allows you to easily track all requests and whitelist anything you don't want to be filtered.

Reactions: ATC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.