Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
@avatar-adg Does Adguard Pro route my traffic through Adguard servers? Or is the path of my traffic affected in any other way?

I understand it uses fake VPN, but I don't understand what that means.

I wish to learn more about Adguard Pro before making a purchase decision - I'm very security-conscious.

Last edited:

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
How does something that states nearly exactly what you feared now puts your worries to rest? It might only be DNS requests (although they don't clarify what the fake VPN is exactly; why would you mention something like that if all you do is block at DNS level?) but it is still routing traffic through their servers which is no different than services offered by parties such as OpenDNS.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
How does something that states nearly exactly what you feared now puts your worries to rest?
And you need to know what is happening in my life because.. ? Before you get your feelings hurt please keep in mind that this is a valid question. Why do you need to know? Think about it.

Reactions: Weaselboy

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
That is the wrong question to ask. Ask yourself why one moment Adguard Pro is a problem and the next it isn't while in fact nothing has changed.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
That is the wrong question to ask. Ask yourself why one moment Adguard Pro is a problem and the next it isn't while in fact nothing has changed.
And what did I learn in the ~7.5 hours between my original question and my purchase decision? How many webpages did I read? What was my goal? How much information from Adguard's website and these forums did I utilize toward reaching said goal?

These questions do not require answers, they were designed to show you that you lack certain information. Rest assured that I know what I'm doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weaselboy

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
Hello guys and sorry for being late to the party.

First of all, we should have answered all these questions in one centralised place instead and it is our fault that it still does not exist. Here are some good news though, until the end of the year we will launch a knowledge base website.

I understand it uses fake VPN, but I don't understand what that means.

Normally, when you use VPN, your traffic is routed through it.

Something like this:
Device <------> VPN server <------> Internet

"Fake VPN" in our case means, that there is no "VPN server". Your outgoing traffic stays the same, we use it for one thing only - to override system DNS settings.

(although they don't clarify what the fake VPN is exactly; why would you mention something like that if all you do is block at DNS level?)

The thing is that VPN API is the only possible way to override system DNS settings. You can't do it manually when you're on mobile data. What for Wi-Fi, you'll have to change DNS settings for every new Wi-Fi network you connect to.

but it is still routing traffic through their servers

Not really. DNS is used for resolving domain names to IP addresses, not for routing traffic:
https://cdn.adguard.com/public/Adguard/Blog/dns_request_scheme.png

which is no different than services offered by parties such as OpenDNS.

Unlike OpenDNS, Adguard DNS provides no-logging privacy policy.

Anyway, starting from the latest AG PRO beta version, it is possible to create your own rules for DNS-level blocking.
We're one step from introducing DNS-level system wide ad blocking, which will not involve using our DNS servers at all.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Hello guys and sorry for being late to the party.

First of all, we should have answered all these questions in one centralised place instead and it is our fault that it still does not exist. Here are some good news though, until the end of the year we will launch a knowledge base website.

Normally, when you use VPN, your traffic is routed through it.

Something like this:
Device <------> VPN server <------> Internet

"Fake VPN" in our case means, that there is no "VPN server". Your outgoing traffic stays the same, we use it for one thing only - to override system DNS settings.

The thing is that VPN API is the only possible way to override system DNS settings. You can't do it manually when you're on mobile data. What for Wi-Fi, you'll have to change DNS settings for every new Wi-Fi network you connect to.

Not really. DNS is used for resolving domain names to IP addresses, not for routing traffic:
https://cdn.adguard.com/public/Adguard/Blog/dns_request_scheme.png

Unlike OpenDNS, Adguard DNS provides no-logging privacy policy.

Anyway, starting from the latest AG PRO beta version, it is possible to create your own rules for DNS-level blocking.
We're one step from introducing DNS-level system wide ad blocking, which will not involve using our DNS servers at all.
Yes, I had learned from further research that my traffic is not routed through strange servers and this is what made me feel comfortable enough to buy Adguard Pro. I also really like the Adguard privacy policy (no logging). Thank you for taking the time to confirm my findings.. I'm happy with Adguard Pro.

Hippocrates

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Hi avatar-avg, I've one more question regarding Adguard Pro... how do I report missed ad in other apps? I tried examining the log but it's terribly difficult to know which url corresponded to the ad.

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
Hi avatar-avg, I've one more question regarding Adguard Pro... how do I report missed ad in other apps? I tried examining the log but it's terribly difficult to know which url corresponded to the ad.

Yeah, it'd be much easier if we could tell which app caused this or that DNS request.

Anyway, here are two common ways of reporting a missed ad:
1. Send a message from the app (it'll contain log file with all the requests, it could be very useful).
2. File a new issue on github:
https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardFilters/issues

hank moody

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2015
The number of rules in Adguard's filters are getting bigger and bigger...

ATM i have 60684 enabled rules! Too much rules because iOS only supports 50000!!!

How do i know, which lists have duplicated rules? how can i solve this?
@avatar-adg can you help me?

filters enabled:

english
spyware
social media
annoyances
spanish
mobile ads
safari filter

easylist
easy privacy
fanboy enhanced tracking list

adblock warning removal
fanboy anti facebook
fanboy español
i don't care about cookies
malware domains
peter lowe
prebake
spam404
barbblock

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow

Filters tend to grow with time, and the optimization process we conduct (removing redundant rules) is periodic.

Anyways, you have quite a lot of filters enabled, it's impossible to fit all them in the 50k limit.

Reactions: hank moody

hank moody

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2015
Filters tend to grow with time, and the optimization process we conduct (removing redundant rules) is periodic.

Anyways, you have quite a lot of filters enabled, it's impossible to fit all them in the 50k limit.

Which ones do you suggest to disable?

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
Which ones do you suggest to disable?

malware domains -- no need, you're on iOS:)
barbblock -- won't help you block ads
spam404 -- won't help you block ads
easylist -- already included in the english filter
fanboy español -- either this or spanish filter, not both
easy privacy -- either this or spyware filter, not both
fanboy enhanced tracking list -- not necessary

tosbsas

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
Lima, Peru

And which of the three Cookie Filters do you recommend? Or all 3 of them. Prebake, don’t care about Cookies and Fanboy Cookie Monster ?

hank moody

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2015

iPhone X support soon?

hank moody

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2015

ATM i have 60684 enabled rules! Too much rules because iOS only supports 50000!!!

How do i know, which lists have duplicated rules? how can i solve this?
@avatar-adg can you help me?

filters enabled:

english
spyware
social media
annoyances
spanish
mobile ads
safari filter

easylist
easy privacy
fanboy enhanced tracking list

adblock warning removal
fanboy anti facebook
fanboy español
i don't care about cookies
malware domains
peter lowe
prebake
spam404
barbblock

ATM i only have these filters enabled:

english
spyware
social media
annoyances
spanish
mobile ads
safari

easyprivacy
fanboy's annoyances
fanboy's enhanced tracking

adblock warning removal
fanboy anti-facebook
prebake

And they are already near 50000 rules! (49943 rules!! and it was only 40k only a few weeks ago)
The number of rules rises everyday and someday we can not have more than 2 or 3 filters active! 50000 rules limit is becoming very short.

@avatar-adg which filters do you recommend to disable now? :/

Last edited:

hank moody

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2015
Basically, these filters do the same. The difference is that one is maintained by AdGuard, and the second one is maintained by the EasyList guys.

ATM i only have these filters enabled:

English
Social Media
Annoyances
Spanish
Mobile Ads
Safari

EasyPrivacy
Fanboy’s Annoyances
Fanboy’s Enhanced Tracking

Adblock Warning
Fanboy Anti-Facebook

And i am already near 50k rules again :(((

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.