Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Is anyone watching this series? I love alternate history and am really enjoying this show. I'd highly recommend it.

Reactions: macguru212

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I watched the first two episodes prior to the release of the rest of the seasons. I found it a little slow. I might go back to it eventually. I am catching up on some other shows that are long overdue.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
We've only watched the first two episodes. The second episode was a bit slow, IMO. Episodes 3 and 4 will be seen tonight, starting in an half hour provided the kids don't wake up wanting to be fed. And probably cram in an episode tomorrow, but I doubt that. Too busy prepping for Thursday.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Binge watched all 10 in 3 days. Fantastic. Can't wait for season 2 -- and there better be a season 2!

I just finished the 5th episode, and I am really enjoying it. I have so many questions that I can't wait to find out the answers.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Well, neither of us got to watch anything. I will say that if you couldn't figure the show out or find it enjoyable, you either don't like alternate history or you need to read the book. I highly suggest reading the book.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Well, neither of us got to watch anything. I will say that if you couldn't figure the show out or find it enjoyable, you either don't like alternate history or you need to read the book. I highly suggest reading the book.

The book is on my to be read list.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I watched all of it. It was good, but I'm still not 100% sure what the point of it was.

I watched the first season and kind of agree. The hook for this story is the relationship between real and alternate histories which

is not answered
in Season 1. Hopefully if there is a season 2.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I watched the first season and kind of agree. The hook for this story is the relationship between real and alternate histories which

is not answered
in Season 1. Hopefully if there is a season 2.
Yeah, I hope they have more about that in a second season. Has anybody that read the book watched the full season yet? Do they have much more to cover without adding to it?

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
It's the Austrian national anthem.

LOL, no, it's not.

"Edelweiss" is a show tune from the 1959 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical The Sound of Music and as an article from The Atlantic, ‘Edelweiss’: An American Song for Global Dystopia, explains:

It’s a common misconception that “Edelweiss” is a classic Austrian folk song, selected for The Sound of Music to bring to the show an added dash of cultural authenticity. It is not. It was written for the musical in the late 1950s by Rodgers and Hammerstein, who wanted to create a song for Captain von Trapp that would subtly convey his regret and his sadness and his pre-emptive nostalgia at having to leave Austria after the Nazi takeover.

Reactions: A.Goldberg

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
LOL, no, it's not.

"Edelweiss" is a show tune from the 1959 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical The Sound of Music and as an article from The Atlantic, ‘Edelweiss’: An American Song for Global Dystopia, explains:

It’s a common misconception that “Edelweiss” is a classic Austrian folk song, selected for The Sound of Music to bring to the show an added dash of cultural authenticity. It is not. It was written for the musical in the late 1950s by Rodgers and Hammerstein, who wanted to create a song for Captain von Trapp that would subtly convey his regret and his sadness and his pre-emptive nostalgia at having to leave Austria after the Nazi takeover.
Ah! Knew I recognized it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yeah, I hope they have more about that in a second season. Has anybody that read the book watched the full season yet? Do they have much more to cover without adding to it?

I've found Phillip Dick stories to be vibrant, interesting reads, but seem to be used as a starting point for movies who then run with the ball to places not visited by the author.. TMITHC is on my reading list. I recently read We can remember it for you Wholesale (Total Recall), where they never make it to Mars. :)

Good article for more insight. Apparantly the story exists in an alternate reality. However, the description of the book sounds like the alternate reality hook I've mentioned, as in there being two possibilities, does not exist, but I've not confirmed that. They really want $10 to read an old book that's less than 300 pages?

No Heroes
The mournful Philip K. Dick masterpiece behind Amazon’s splashy new series The Man in the High Castle.

Last edited:

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
... Apparantly the story exists in an alternate reality. However, the description of the book sounds like the alternate reality hook I've mentioned, as in there being two possibilities, does not exist, but I've not confirmed that...

If it's Dickian, the basic question is: What is real? Basically, Philip K. Dick spent a lifetime exploring the nature of reality in the majority of his works, and this question (on the nature of reality) spilled out into Dick's own (personal) reality, as well as spilling out to affect the reader's perception of reality (as Dick noted in The Exegesis of Philip K. Dick: "Maybe by writing about it and getting other people to read my writing I change reality by their reading it...") And that will probably scare the b'jesus out of more than a few, since even the thought of "escaping reality" is a really terrifying no-no in some people's (conventionally-minded) minds...

Last edited:

Jws

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
AR
I watched most of the episodes last weekend and finished it on Monday. I absolutely loved the show, and although I had never read the book, I had a suspicion about the
alternate reality theory
once Juliana seemed so certain that the "grasshopper lies heavy" film was real in the first episode.

I will be putting the book on my to read list. I learned that Dick had intended to write sequels to the novel but never got around to it, so I don't know how satisfying the novel will be to finish. I do hope they have a clear idea where they're going with the show in the future if they haven't already sped past the plot of the novel in season 1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.