Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
I didn’t anticipate liking this show, but I’ve to say that I like it. Just finished episode 4 and it’s getting better for sure. Not at all interested in See, but I do like For All Mankind as well.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I watched one episode... and I will pass... I'm no prude... but I'm loathe to understand how the gratuitous use of variants of the 'F' word adds anything to the show... IMO, the acting is marginal, and I'm not at all into the plot line. Hard pass.

Reactions: V_Man

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Just watched episode 4. The first leading up to the interview was fairly dull and draggy, but I understand that it was setting up the stage for the actual interview itself, which I absolutely loved. Something about the downtrodden finally getting their day in the sun and all.

Also, what's up with Steve Carell? He's billed as one of the stars of the show, yet seems like a glorified guest actor in his own show? Did the director really have to go to the extent of casting him just to play the role of a sexual predator?

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Just watched episode 4. The first leading up to the interview was fairly dull and draggy, but I understand that it was setting up the stage for the actual interview itself, which I absolutely loved. Something about the downtrodden finally getting their day in the sun and all.

Also, what's up with Steve Carell? He's billed as one of the stars of the show, yet seems like a glorified guest actor in his own show? Did the director really have to go to the extent of casting him just to play the role of a sexual predator?

It reminds me of this movie called Executive Decision. It had Steven Seagal in it with Kurt Russell, and all the commercials made it seem both would have prominent roles. I won’t spoil it, but the movie was 90% about Kurt Russell.

It’s misleading (but clever?) marketing and using actors’ star power

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Went in with low expectations and I quite like it, although I found Ep4 very weak in comparison to 2&3. The previous 3 felt more industry overview whereas I found 4 predictable, soapy and dare I say cheesy. If it continues this way, I’ll probably still watch it all eventually but it’ll become a backlog show and not a day and date viewing.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Went in with low expectations and I quite like it, although I found Ep4 very weak in comparison to 2&3. The previous 3 felt more industry overview whereas I found 4 predictable, soapy and dare I say cheesy. If it continues this way, I’ll probably still watch it all eventually but it’ll become a backlog show and not a day and date viewing.

Just finished ep 4 and thought same thing. This was an episode I had to come back to finish as it was just boring.

When watching 1-3 I felt nudged along a bit. A week later and much of any urge to watch was gone. So it’s the big morning show premiere with both our co stars.

And what a letdown. Is it going to be a theme where the new co host tires of canned script, finally says what’s on her mind, and then has an emotional breakdown each time afterwards? Is it really that predictable that she’ll be encouraged to do so after the seemingly clueless powers that be wise up that it’s ratings gold?

Can’t wait for the episode where the new co host’s schizo brother does something to embarrass her. Omg. What will she say? How will the show try to spin it? I can barely hold it together. The suspense is maddening. Lol

Reactions: yegon

Juiceboy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
I have to say i'm really really enjoying it. Only watching because i got the new iphone. But "Morning Wars" as it's called here in Aus (we already have a show called the morning show) has really gripped me. I'm hooked. I'm sad that it's week to week and i can't binge!

Reactions: pauliaK

UnrealWhale

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2019
I think i's likely that Carell will get more screentime as the show progresses?
SPOLIER

he's out after season 1.

The first 3 episodes were serviceable and then by the 4th episode it plummets like a rock. Will be interesting to see how this show pans out after 1 season.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
Glad I insisted on watching after episode 1. The show gets better each episode. Great sex scene with Reese and a random bartender (lol). But really, this is getting intense. Love the pacing and intrigue. Billy Crudup is my favorite. 8/10 so far.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I didn't automatically write it off like some people did. But I did go into it with some skepticism. I'm actually surprised. It's not the best show I've ever seen...but I will continue to watch it.

LBM4

Suspended
Sep 26, 2019
I didn't automatically write it off like some people did. But I did go into it with some skepticism. I'm actually surprised. It's not the best show I've ever seen...but I will continue to watch it.
I’m in the same boat. I saw Jennifer Anniston as the lead with Steve Carrel and thought it would be a dud. I actually really like it. I also like See, but not nearly as much as I thought I would. For All Mankind is watchable, but only if there is nothing else on.

Reactions: iOS Geek

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I’m in the same boat. I saw Jennifer Anniston as the lead with Steve Carrel and thought it would be a dud. I actually really like it. I also like See, but not nearly as much as I thought I would. For All Mankind is watchable, but only if there is nothing else on.
See and For All Mankind are next on my list. Haven’t checked either one out yet. Haven’t had a lot of free time lately ?

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
Wasn’t there a report that Apple wouldn’t allow sex scenes or something like that? That’s why you don’t always believe rumors :)

I loved the sex scene. Not for the scene per se, but because it added to the character's depth. I mean, who's never been in that very same boat as Bradley that night.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Wasn’t there a report that Apple wouldn’t allow sex scenes or something like that? That’s why you don’t always believe rumors :)

It was pretty mild as far as sex scenes go. The language in this show is way more mature than any of the sexual content, which is surprising considering the show is literally about a company with a sex culture problem.

If this were an HBO show you can guarantee there would be flashbacks and/or more graphic depictions about what was going on behind closed doors. The side story with the weatherman and PA would be way more graphic too. Its obvious Apple is trying to tone down the sexual content in all of these shows.

But enough about that. I absolutely love this show. It's so intriguing and I can't wait for each new episode.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I think I’d like this show more if there were some secondary plots/story lines. It’s OK but not great. i suspect a lot of people are watching just because of the big names. I know that’s why people watched Big Little Lies even though the second season was garbage.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
Episode 5 has the lowest rating on IMDb thus far (8.2/10). Must've been the sex scene. People can be so prudish, especially American audiences. It was my favorite episode.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if this has been covered, but . . .

Although I'm really enjoying this series — I love the cast and the script and the sets — I'm not really sure I have any idea what's going on.

Admittedly I'm that guy in a movie who's constantly saying "Who's that guy again? Why did he kill that other guy?"

But I'm really not understanding anyone's motivations for anything they do. Is that supposed to be the point?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if this has been covered, but . . .

Although I'm really enjoying this series — I love the cast and the script and the sets — I'm not really sure I have any idea what's going on.

Admittedly I'm that guy in a movie who's constantly saying "Who's that guy again? Why did he kill that other guy?"

But I'm really not understanding anyone's motivations for anything they do. Is that supposed to be the point?

The themes inside are nothing new.

Jennifer Anniston is the veteran who is well past her prime, and intent on protecting her position by any means possible.

Reese weatherspoon is the plucky new upstart who isn’t afraid to ruffle feathers and turn the establishment upside down, either out of a sense of righteousness or simply because she just doesn’t know any better.

It’s basically a show about workplace politics, set against the MeToo movement.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Episode 5 has the lowest rating on IMDb thus far (8.2/10). Must've been the sex scene. People can be so prudish, especially American audiences. It was my favorite episode.
It wasn’t a bad episode overall. No judgment over the presence of the sex scene in and of itself, but it might just take the prize for the worst sex scene I’ve ever seen. It was comically bad to the extent that the episode probably would have been better off without it.

AidenL

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
Ireland
I didn’t anticipate liking this show, but I’ve to say that I like it. Just finished episode 4 and it’s getting better for sure. Not at all interested in See, but I do like For All Mankind as well.
We are liking The Morning Show and Forq All Mankind. Not as keen on the other two shows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.