Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
It wasn’t a bad episode overall. No judgment over the presence of the sex scene in and of itself, but it might just take the prize for the worst sex scene I’ve ever seen. It was comically bad to the extent that the episode probably would have been better off without it.
Yeah and it didn't even carry into the storyline in episode 6, it was completely unnecessary.

Reactions: jonblatho

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Yeah and it didn't even carry into the storyline in episode 6, it was completely unnecessary.
There are some interesting things they could have done with that, too. Maybe it’ll come back in a later episode with the bartender talking to Page Six or something.

penfan82

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
I thought I would love this show out of all of them and I keep trying and trying and I just can’t connect. For all the power houses as the stars it is a story ripped right off of the Matt lauer scandal and nbc , sorry Apple so far you need to do better.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
“**** you kid!” ?

Wow! I never thought I’d love a “**** you” scene this much. ?
With her past work being mostly in comedy, I was a bit skeptical when starting The Morning Show that Aniston would do well in a drama series, let alone carry it in a leading role. She’d already proven herself more than capable, but that scene floored me. Superb.

Last edited:

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Also, a critic who was previously a skeptic publicly changed his mind on The Morning Show:

Speaking of bests, I have seen The Morning Show finale, and it is astonishing. I won’t spoil it, but it is operatic, slamming from dramatic high to dramatic high until you think it has nowhere else to go, and then it finally strains for a grace note so audacious that it floors you. It is one of the most impressive season finales of the decade, and I’m desperate for everyone to watch it, just so I can talk about it.

Can’t wait.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...e-you-totally-resent-friends-jennifer-aniston

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Watched this over Thanksgiving holiday with family who hadn’t seen any episodes yet. They really cringed at the constant use of the F word. One said it would keep them from watching future episodes. Watching it for the second time with them I realized how bad it was. So gratuitous. Why do writers feel this is necessary?

Alwis

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2017
Watched this over Thanksgiving holiday with family who hadn’t seen any episodes yet. They really cringed at the constant use of the F word. One said it would keep them from watching future episodes. Watching it for the second time with them I realized how bad it was. So gratuitous. Why do writers feel this is necessary?

I assume, that is just the way people behave in an intense „high pressure“ environment so this seems perfectly normal and contributes to the authenticity.

Beside that, I do not think that this kind of language will disturb anyone outside the US. I find it always quite funny, when „strong language“ is bleeped out in US shows and I have never heard of anything like this in other countries, but maybe I am wrong.

Reactions: nikster0029

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I assume, that is just the way people behave in an intense „high pressure“ environment so this seems perfectly normal and contributes to the authenticity.

Jake Tapper, a CNN anchor, seems to like the show and didn’t complain about the language so I guess it’s kinda realistic.
In fact majority of people with news background like the show and I never saw anyone complain about the foul language. Not even one.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012

Beside that, I do not think that this kind of language will disturb anyone outside the US. I find it always quite funny, when „strong language“ is bleeped out in US shows and I have never heard of anything like this in other countries, but maybe I am wrong.

Except this isn’t how people behave in that kind of environment. It just sounds pretty stupid to be honest. Not authentic as if the writers lack any real experience.

Reactions: Rogifan

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Jake Tapper, a CNN anchor, seems to like the show and didn’t complain about the language so I guess it’s kinda realistic.
In fact majority of people with news background like the show and I never saw anyone complain about the foul language. Not even one.
And I didn’t think about it when I first watched it. But after watching it with others who did point it out I realized yeah the F word is used way too much and by everyone. I don’t think there’s anything authentic about that. Not everyone is throwing F bombs all the time.

Reactions: matrix07

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Except this isn’t how people behave in that kind of environment. It just sounds pretty stupid to be honest. Not authentic as if the writers lack any real experience.
It’s almost like it’s a real word that some real people use a lot, even at work. It’s exaggerated — it’s a drama, not a documentary — but it’s not wildly unrealistic.

Keep in mind a consulting producer on this show is Brian Stelter (who also wrote the book the series was originally to be based on), who has over a decade of experience working in a newsroom for The New York Times and CNN.

Reactions: Nütztjanix

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
The people I’ve met who work or have worked in newsrooms usually overuse that word so I’m not shocked at all with it being heard so often on the show. It’s how it is.

Buz Burton

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
It wasn’t a bad episode overall. No judgment over the presence of the sex scene in and of itself, but it might just take the prize for the worst sex scene I’ve ever seen. It was comically bad to the extent that the episode probably would have been better off without it.
It was supposed to be a bad sex scene. The walk off was perfect. "I have to go". It portrays a desperate soul who is so immersed into the pressure cooker she finds herself in that something has to blow.

The writing in this series it very top notch. It leaves you with knowing there's a lot more than meets the eye. Admit it. You really don't know what Billy Crudup's character Cory is up to. Stay tuned.

immigrantsong

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2008
Macon, GA
It was supposed to be a bad sex scene. The walk off was perfect. "I have to go". It portrays a desperate soul who is so immersed into the pressure cooker she finds herself in that something has to blow.

The writing in this series it very top notch. It leaves you with knowing there's a lot more than meets the eye. Admit it. You really don't know what Billy Crudup's character Cory is up to. Stay tuned.

Bingo, on all points. They are ALL complex, multi-faceted and FLAWED characters With a mix of motivations and intentions. Kind of like...real people, LOL.

There’s definitely more going on than meets the eye.

Lots of “Palace intrigue”, for sure.

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
Well as a German it’s always interesting to see how much people from the USA are talking about the F word and the sex scenes. To me this is nothing special. We have such things in the morning programs on TV. And the sex scenes where not show much.

All episodes are great so far. Can’t wait for the next episodes.

• Haha
Reactions: Nütztjanix
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.