Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nütztjanix

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2019
Germany
Well as a German it’s always interesting to see how much people from the USA are talking about the F word and the sex scenes. To me this is nothing special. We have such things in the morning programs on TV. And the sex scenes where not show much.

All episodes are great so far. Can’t wait for the next episodes.
Couldn’t agree more.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
Well as a German it’s always interesting to see how much people from the USA are talking about the F word and the sex scenes. To me this is nothing special. We have such things in the morning programs on TV. And the sex scenes where not show much.

All episodes are great so far. Can’t wait for the next episodes.

I have no issue with language, sex or violence when it serves the story, but there are times where it‘s completely unnecessary and feels like lazy writing. The sexual content of the last episode, for example, added a great deal to the story, and after the first few episodes the language seems to have lessened and feels more balanced.

Anyway, this was one of the best episodes of the season.

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2018
The latest episode really connected the dots for me because I knew Fred was culpable but wasn't making the connections in earlier episodes.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I have no issue with language, sex or violence when it serves the story, but there are times where it‘s completely unnecessary and feels like lazy writing. The sexual content of the last episode, for example, added a great deal to the story, and after the first few episodes the language seems to have lessened and feels more balanced.

Anyway, this was one of the best episodes of the season.
I agree the best episode. Which is interesting considering Reese Witherspoon wasn’t in it. It also dialed back the cursing a bit. I hope this is the trend going forward. Having every character throwing F bombs left and right is lazy writing and completely unnecessary.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
The latest episode really connected the dots for me because I knew Fred was culpable but wasn't making the connections in earlier episodes.

I don't think it was necessary, to toss this right in the middle of the series, a complete throwback to what happened who knows how many months/years before the show began.

Usually a "Flashback" here or there does the trick. A whole episode going back in time is kind of silly, and really it just showed what was already kind of known.

I also think this was the weakest episode, after enjoying the previous ones.

Reactions: zinacef

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Steve Carrell is doing a great job. His character comes across as so likeable and then you see more of his actions and behavior and see how deplorable he is. And knows it.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
Hannah is the kind of person who'll backstab anyone in order to achieve her goals. I don't like her to be honest, the way she withheld info from her superior so she could outshine him, but in the end I kind of felt sorry for her. Good episode, the last 15 minutes or so were quite unsettling. Great performance by Carell, going from "Mr. Nice Guy" to a total creep.

Last edited:

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I don't think it was necessary, to toss this right in the middle of the series, a complete throwback to what happened who knows how many months/years before the show began.

Usually a "Flashback" here or there does the trick. A whole episode going back in time is kind of silly, and really it just showed what was already kind of known.

I think having it be a full episode was really effective. Now that we’ve gotten to know these characters, it was interesting to go back and see how their behavior and dynamics were different over the course of a few days time.

Mitch said in a previous episode that he‘s not like the Weinstein types, and I agree. This episode showed how his behavior was more insidious, and the toxic environment it quietly created under the surface. Mitch’s behavior was still predatory, but I could see how someone like him, constantly surrounded by ego boosters and yes men, could be oblivious to how harmful many of his actions were before #metoo. In fact, this episode nicely illustrates how many of us have been unaware and/or looked the other way.

Last edited:

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
Hannah is the kind of person who'll backstab anyone in order to achieve her goals. I don't like her to be honest, the way she withheld info from her superior so she could outshine him, but in the end I kind of felt sorry for her. Good episode, the last 15 minutes or so were quite unsettling. Great performance by Carell, going from "Mr. Nice Guy" to a total creep.
I don't feel the backstabbing side of Hannah but I definitely felt sorry for her. That scene was so disturbing and uncomfortable to watch.

Reactions: willmtaylor and CE3

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I like Chip, but that final scene in episode 9 didn't leave me feeling any sympathy for him. Chip knew they wanted to replace Alex and said nothing to her, and now she's done the same thing.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I cant, for the life of me, understand why critics panned this show. It’s such a good show I can re-watch it again and again.
I think a lot of the criticisms had to do with heightened expectations due to:
  1. It being a flagship launch title for Apple TV+. First seasons of some of the greatest modern dramas -- Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and Sopranos to name a few, started on a quiet note. The Morning Show was widely hyped.
  2. Astronomical $15M per episode budget (or $300M for 2 seasons). The budget rivals the most expensive episodes on later seasons of Game of Thrones.
It's difficult to live up to high expectations, especially to critics.

The bottom line is that most viewers seem to really like the show, and performances are widely acclaimed. It's fair to say that the season got much better in the later season, so if they keep up the pace on the second season, I suspect the series will be well received.

Reactions: matrix07

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I cant, for the life of me, understand why critics panned this show. It’s such a good show I can re-watch it again and again.
I think it was because Apple only gave reviewers the first 3 episodes to write the initial reviews. Tbh, just getting those 3 episodes and nothing else wouldn’t make you a big fan of the series. The first 5 episodes would have made more sense to review at a minimum.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC

The Righteous Gemstones did an entire flashback episode too.

At first I thought it was weird... but they had a lot to explain.

I can see why shows devote a lot of time on filling in the backstory in this manner. There are some things you simply can't explain in normal 5-minute flashbacks.

It was interesting to take a look back to when Mitch was in his prime... since our introduction to him was his firing one minute into the first episode.

And we got to see multiple storylines evolve from this flashback episode. Jared slipping which makes Hannah rise to the occasion... Yanko and Claire meeting for the first time... Fred and Reid discussing Alex's poor testing numbers... Mitch being friends with Dick Lundry (before Mitch realizes that Dick is a monster)

All in all it was a good piece of exposition.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
What a FINALE!!!
The last 5 minutes

I am...done.

And the actress who plays Hannah, ....she needs to be nominated for something cos that whole thing blew me away.
I’m still in a semi-catatonic state after watching the season finale. What an emotional rollercoaster. Congratulations to everyone involved in making this show, writers, actors, everyone really. Superb!!!

Holy cow... I just finished the finale!

This series might have had a slow start... but it kept ramping up and finished with a bang!

Do we really have to wait a whole year for season two?!?!?

Reactions: matrix07 and CE3

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Episode 10:

The last 30 minutes

The last 5 minutes

I am...done.
[automerge]1576837762[/automerge]
And the actress who plays Hannah, ....she needs to be nominated for something cos that whole thing blew me away.

I agree the Hannah actress did a great job. Unfortunately (due to the very necessary) trigger warning at the beginning of the episode, I kind of knew that was coming, and I hadn't read any spoilers. :/

I wanna know who actually pulled the plug on the live show since Cory was letting it run and Fred was locked out. Someone must have had a safety switch elsewhere?

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I wanna know who actually pulled the plug on the live show since Cory was letting it run and Fred was locked out. Someone must have had a safety switch elsewhere?

That was my thought as well.

Perhaps Fred told maintenance to cut power to the entire control room!

I can imagine a bunch of guys frantically opening panels and pulling levers in the basement of the building. :p

I hope Season 2 will begin with this!

Reactions: willmtaylor

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I thought Alex’s about face was too sudden. Like she was fine upholding the status quo one moment for her paycheck and the next, she’s all for upending the current world order in the name of a justice she has never exhibited through the entire season.

Her final performance just didn’t come across as convincing. But I guess Jennifer Anniston will be sticking around in the 2nd season as one of the “good guys”.

Still not sure whether Cory is supposed to be the good guy or not. On one hand, he clearly has something to gain from all this, yet he goes about creating chaos, and clearly revels in it. In a Loki or Joker sort of way. He does seem genuinely concerned about Bradley, so I wonder if we will see more sparks between them next season.

Wasn’t impressed with the Chip character at the start as well, but he has shown a lot more growth and emotion in the last few episodes, and we see why he acted the way he did.

But I do hate cliffhangers.

Reactions: Rogifan

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I think Cory is good. He comes across smarmy, but yet he follows through on everything he says. And he has talked about his crap upbringing so much that I think he tries to live his life the opposite way.

Reactions: CE3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.