Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GabrieleR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
Torino, Italy
Hi,

i work in an Apple Reseller and like many of you i'm waiting for the mini 2013 refresh.

From monday the two major Apple suppliers in Italy are suddenly and completely out of stock of minis. I know that this happen from time to time, but the timing is no coincidence.

Trust me, a new mini is coming next week, or at least we have solid evidence to believe it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I disagree, if Apple wanted to release this before the holidays they would have done this with the rMBPs. Christmas is under 3 weeks away, its too late for them to release a new model and gain any real traction for the sales.

Reactions: bwillwall

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I disagree, if Apple wanted to release this before the holidays they would have done this with the rMBPs. Christmas is under 3 weeks away, its too late for them to release a new model and gain any real traction for the sales.

That would make sense if the MacMini was seen as a prominent product for Apple. Unfortunately, it is something they don't even herald with press releases anymore.

So the "traction" isn't expected at any time of the year. And it is such a stepchild of the line up as to be unceremoniously shoveled out at almost any arbitrary time.

Now, if we were discussing the iMac (or iPhone or iPad), it would be a completely different circumstance. MacMini and MacPro have dedicated niches which are attracted to price or capability, and they don't need marketing fanfare to achieve sales. Note the MacPro coming out soon with little time for "traction" before Christmas.

Reactions: Cape Dave

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
Also, its highly unlikely that they'll release before Jan as everyone that bought in late november and december will be returning theirs....

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Also, its highly unlikely that they'll release before Jan as everyone that bought in late november and december will be returning theirs....

Its too close the Christmas season, No one releases a new product 3 weeks before Christmas - its way too late.

Reactions: bwillwall

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
IMHO they want focus on the new Mac Pro and will not spend much energy on the mini. When I called last week about a couple tech question, every other sentence was suggesting I buy a pro. I wouldn't be surprised if they discontinue the mini instead of update it. It sells well, but not that well.

GabrieleR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
Torino, Italy
The availability on the online Applestore means nothing these days, when the iMac was refreshed in october all models were shipping in 24h. I don't remember the last time that we anticipated a refresh by looking at the availability.

I understand that it is a strange time for releasing an update, but it also a very strange time for releasing a completely new product like the Mac Pro isn't it?

Until monday i was thinking, like many of you, that the new mini was a 2014 thing, but trust me, a new mini is coming next week.

Reactions: Chuckeee

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
The availability on the online Applestore means nothing these days, when the iMac was refreshed in october all models were shipping in 24h. I don't remember the last time that we anticipated a refresh by looking at the availability.

I understand that it is a strange time for releasing an update, but it also a very strange time for releasing a completely new product like the Mac Pro isn't it?

Until monday i was thinking, like many of you, that the new mini was a 2014 thing, but trust me, a new mini is coming next week.

well, if that is the case, i'll be returning mine :D if not, no harm done :D

but i highly doubt your prediction despite your apparent certainty :d

----------

Its too close the Christmas season, No one releases a new product 3 weeks before Christmas - its way too late.

i completely agree with you :D

itbeme

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2011

Yup. I was hoping but I've given up now. They will flush current inventory for the holiday season and close the books.

February. Not before.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
I just checked PowerMax and they have 10+ of both the dual and quad base models plus 4 server models. MacConnection, MacMall, B&H Photo, Best buy, Amazon, J&R all advertise that the Mac Mini is readily available.

It looks like the online retailers are long on the Mac Mini to me.

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
I am seriously tired of this endless back and forth. The damn thing will come when it does.

most likely sometime in Q2 2014... :D

• Haha

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
… most likely sometime in Q2 2014... :D
That prediction needs some serious legs. I can't understand why Apple would wait until Spring '14 to release something they could have put out in Summer '13.

Is there some unknown tech boost that will arrive in Q2 '14? Why not just wait for the (possible) release of Broadwell in late '14?

The mini's lack of updating with Haswell processors is strange, the delay even stranger. We might see a complete redesign emerge with Broadwell after a long-long gap in upgrade; a more-logical event since the current i7 minis are already very powerful within the Mac lineup.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Is there some unknown tech boost that will arrive in Q2 '14? Why not just wait for the (possible) release of Broadwell in late '14?

The mini's lack of updating with Haswell processors is strange, the delay even stranger.

I don't think we will ever see a mini update, Apple will just continue sell the current version until they run out of parts and then perhaps introduce a low end MacPro version as a mini replacement. So the developments may not be so strange after all :)

Apple announced the revamped MacPro weeks ago, its just taken them awhile to ramp up production. There have been no hints about the mini.

apfelmann

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2007

I BELIEVE IN YOU

And I hope they keep the FireWire port and the user friendly upgrade ability

Reactions: MNLondon

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

So if they release in March, wouldn't anyone who bought in late January and February return theirs? There's the logic flaw in your argument....

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
That prediction needs some serious legs. I can't understand why Apple would wait until Spring '14 to release something they could have put out in Summer '13.

The mini's lack of updating with Haswell processors is strange, the delay even stranger. We might see a complete redesign emerge with Broadwell after a long-long gap in upgrade; a more-logical event since the current i7 minis are already very powerful within the Mac lineup.

Probably because all available engineers have been working to get the Mac Pro finished.

----------

I don't think we will ever see a mini update, Apple will just continue sell the current version until they run out of parts and then perhaps introduce a low end MacPro version as a mini replacement. So the developments may not be so strange after all :)

Apple announced the revamped MacPro weeks ago, its just taken them awhile to ramp up production. There have been no hints about the mini.

Apple's never had hints about a Mac mini release so there's no reason to think there will be any this time, either.

Reactions: justinkaisse

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Well Apple is with their MacPro! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm going to point out that a WORKSTATION is not a gift item. Not many people are dropping $3k+ for a Christmas gift. This is a business machine to GET WORK DONE. It is more important that it ship by Dec 31, so that businesses can count them against their 2013 taxes (tax breaks).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.