Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
haha, you could be waiting 2 years yet you know? But get yourself hyped :D

Will be veeerrrryyyyy interesting to see what Ninety come up with this time, I think we all know it will be powerful and have full HD gaming, well it better do for Nintendo's sake. But what other things will it offer?

I mean Sony have it's VR headset date for sale set, plus it's camera, Xbox has Kinect etc..

Yeah, will be watching with interest.

Reactions: Franjelisco

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
haha, you could be waiting 2 years yet you know? But get yourself hyped :D

Wii U's not doing to well. I've got one - games are great but playing on that mega touchscreen controller... :eek:

Much prefer the Wii U Pro Controller.

I think they'll announce it right after the Holidays (not to cut into the great Wii U "deals") and be released around September 2016.

It'll probably be just a more powerful version of the Wii U since Nintendo's gotta keep their $299 pricepoint for a new system since the $349 Wii U launch was a bit of a debacle.

What it might offer is the use of tablets and smartphones as extra controllers and screens and maybe a "Kinect" type of thing.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
My guess-

Powerful Wii U. New, optional gamepad. Old gamepad supported. Games don't rely on it but can be used for off-screen gaming. It has to play handheld games on the screen, somehow. I can well imagine a merging of handheld and home consoles, or at least some option at remote playing big games on their New 3DS and some way of beaming handheld games onto a TV.

(regarding Sony's headset, are we sure this is for the PS4? Because even the PS4 struggles to keep 60fps at 1080p, and we're supposed to believe the headset is running at what, 90 or 120fps? I think we're going to either see a more powerful PS4 or a new system for whenever it launches)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
My guess-

Powerful Wii U. New, optional gamepad. Old gamepad supported. Games don't rely on it but can be used for off-screen gaming. It has to play handheld games on the screen, somehow. I can well imagine a merging of handheld and home consoles, or at least some option at remote playing big games on their New 3DS and some way of beaming handheld games onto a TV.

(regarding Sony's headset, are we sure this is for the PS4? Because even the PS4 struggles to keep 60fps at 1080p, and we're supposed to believe the headset is running at what, 90 or 120fps? I think we're going to either see a more powerful PS4 or a new system for whenever it launches)

My guess too.

Will need to come in on $249, as by then the XBox One and PS4 will be at $299.

Maybe even come in at $199 (same as Gamecube launch) if they are using just a slightly more powerful chipset than the Wii U and the same Pro Controllers.

There will be a means to play their "game apps for iOS and Android" on it as well. Price will be important as now the the new AppleTV will have games, that will be slight competition against lower end consoles as well.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Nintendo doesn't support their consoles usually beyond 5-6 years unlike Sony which can do it for a decade. Nintendo spaces their flagships in a span of 4-5 years. Once that is done, the next console gets ready. Imagine PS3 is still being supported nearly NINE years later. Wii U is Nintendo's biggest flop since the GameCube. Every console since NES only had a 5-6 year lifespan. SNES released in 1991 had to make headway for N64 in 1996. N64 had to make room for GCN in 2001. GCN was no longer getting major support once Wii arrived in 2006. Wii U comes out first in the next gen in 2012. It isn't even three years and Nintendo is thinking of NX. Talk about a company with a short attention span!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Talk about a company with a short attention span!

The Gameboy was supported for 14 years, the longest ever supported console. The DS was supported for 9 years. The Wii was supported for 7 years.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Nintendo doesn't support their consoles usually beyond 5-6 years unlike Sony which can do it for a decade. Nintendo spaces their flagships in a span of 4-5 years. Once that is done, the next console gets ready. Imagine PS3 is still being supported nearly NINE years later. Wii U is Nintendo's biggest flop since the GameCube. Every console since NES only had a 5-6 year lifespan. SNES released in 1991 had to make headway for N64 in 1996. N64 had to make room for GCN in 2001. GCN was no longer getting major support once Wii arrived in 2006. Wii U comes out first in the next gen in 2012. It isn't even three years and Nintendo is thinking of NX. Talk about a company with a short attention span!

The Gameboy was supported for 14 years, the longest ever supported console. The DS was supported for 9 years. The Wii was supported for 7 years.

Their hand helds have a much longer lifespan.

Their consoles, though, have been lately mainly sort of "current generation" specs or build slightly upon their previous one (like Wii still have GC compatibility and Wii U has Wii compatibility), and a lower price so they won't have the lifespan of Sony of MS Consoles.

The article talked about the NX building on the Wii U platform but with the next innovation.

My take:

1. Wii U (games that work without the touchpad) and Wii backwards compatibility. Compatible with Wii and Wii U Pro and GameCube Controller Adapter.
2. Games can be 3D compatible (yes, that maybe their next "innovation"). 2D on standard screens.
3. Will have some sort of "XBox One Kinect" device with it. I think if anyone can pull it off, Nintendo can.
4. Can use Tablets, Smartphone, 2DS/3DS as extra controllers and screens.
5. Price for Console with 32Gigs, Pro Controller, HDMI Cable, "Kinect" Camera, and Game Download (Mario 3D World NX in 3D? :) ): $249.

I think the NX will be the "one to get" and have the immense popularity of the Gamecube and Wii.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
Their hand helds have a much longer lifespan.

Their consoles, though, have been lately mainly sort of "current generation" specs or build slightly upon their previous one (like Wii still have GC compatibility and Wii U has Wii compatibility), and a lower price so they won't have the lifespan of Sony of MS Consoles.

The article talked about the NX building on the Wii U platform but with the next innovation.

My take:

1. Wii U (games that work without the touchpad) and Wii backwards compatibility. Compatible with Wii and Wii U Pro and GameCube Controller Adapter.
2. Games can be 3D compatible (yes, that maybe their next "innovation"). 2D on standard screens.
3. Will have some sort of "XBox One Kinect" device with it. I think if anyone can pull it off, Nintendo can.
4. Can use Tablets, Smartphone, 2DS/3DS as extra controllers and screens.
5. Price for Console with 32Gigs, Pro Controller, HDMI Cable, "Kinect" Camera, and Game Download (Mario 3D World NX in 3D? :) ): $249.

I think the NX will be the "one to get" and have the immense popularity of the Gamecube and Wii.

Immense popularity of the GC? It was the least successful console of its generation, only sold 22m units or something like that.
The NX is probably going to be some ARM or x86 based platform. That's what they have to do if they want 3rd party devs to get onboard. This might kill backwards compatibility but if it has to be sacrificed it has to.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
That'd be sweet!

Think Dagless is spot on. No biggie for me personally that the WiiU seems to have a short lifespan - I regret nothing!:D

Not going to buy a console where I can't get my Mario fix but it'd be appreciated if I could get my cod/fps fix there as well since it's a pita playing on pc (hax and dying community).

- hope I can play my e-shop games on it!
- hope I can play my physical games on it! :D
- hope the design stays matter to fact - dislike both PS and Xbox designs
- hope they keep the Pro Controller in essence
- hope I can play my BluRays on it - seems unlikely with Ninty history tho

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
I hope they go back to their roots.
No gimmicks, just great games.

The Game Cube was a great machine, nice graphics and a great controller.
But lost the war due to the fact that you could play DVD´s on the ps2 and xbox..

At that point in time the average consumer wanted a dvd player so if you could get both in one product that was a great deal.

Just like many people bought the PS3 for it´s BR-player and media functions and not so much because of gaming..

As someone who still remember being amazed over 16 bit graphics I honestly don't think graphics are super important, but the Wii just looked horrible compared to the PS3 and Xbox360. Nintendo stayed too far behind and I guess that made it hard to adapt games for it since basically nothing really good ever got released from any third party dev.

So, please Nintendo just make the Game Cube 4K :)
Great games, a "normal" controller, decent hardware and just ad Netflix or something so people don't complain over the lack of VOD-functions..

I don't want to jump around in my living room, I don't want to dace in front of a cam on my tv, I don't want a surfing board in my hands while playing and I don't want 3543453465 plastic figurines to play a game.. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone Deranger

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
Nintendos biggest problem is that they no longer appeal to the masses like they once did. They could pump out a 4K console and churn out good Mario 4K games etc but who cares?

I don't think their IPs generate enough interest relative to 3rd party titles on the other consoles. Their internet connectivity also lags and their approach to gameplay videos on youtube is very short sighted.

I like my Wii U and the games for it are great but I don't own very many: Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World and Zelda Wind Waker HD. Next one I probably will buy is Zelda, not sure about whether to pick up Smash Bros.

I would be happy if Nintendo just kept making great games even if they don't sell as well as MS/Sony.

Antares

macrumors 68000
Great games, a "normal" controller, decent hardware and just ad Netflix or something so people don't complain over the lack of VOD-functions..

Both the Wii and WiiU already have Netflix...and Amazon Prime. And Hulu. and....

The Wii U is cool as I can browse on the controller screen. In Amazon Prime, I can play the tv show or movie and the WiiU controller displays info about the movie or show...synopsis, cast, facts, etc.. It's really neat and something you can't get on any other console, computer or tablet/phone (that I know of).

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

I think before anyone posts they should remind themselves about the handheld market and how crazy successful their IPs are on that (and select others, like Monster Hunter) ;).
The only bad-selling Nintendo IPs have been, well there's 3D World. Both Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros Wii U/3DS have sold great. Isn't Mario Kart 8 the best selling game in the whole series, I think I read that somewhere.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
If this new NX console will be backward compatible with Wii and Wii U, than we can all forget 3rd party support.

Another fail console on the horizon.

The big N should ditch the PPC technology and go x86 as the rivals do ...

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
If this new NX console will be backward compatible with Wii and Wii U, than we can all forget 3rd party support.

Another fail console on the horizon.

The big N should ditch the PPC technology and go x86 as the rivals do ...

The main reason for lack of 3rd party support is that developers had to support that Wii U touchscreen Gamepad Controller not to mention the launch price of $349 (for the more useable memory Deluxe Set). I saw people at the store upgrading from the Wii to the XBox 360 (kids were starting to get older anyways), and a few keeping the Wii just to play the games they already had.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
For heatseekers who love camping out for new hardware and overpaying for medicre launch titles, NX might excite them.

I think Nintendo has been playing catchup to Sony and Microsoft technically for years. They offer us with a motion sensor gimmick for an Xbox 1.5 specs for a cheap $250. They win it even if Wii was closer to the the previous gen in specs. Most people were not fooled by anymore gimmicks with the Wii U controller gimmick which basically are closer to specs of the Xbox 360/PS3. Nintendo is giving up on the Wii U sooner just so they can try to match the Xbox One/PS4 in specs but with a first-mover approach to battle the next gen even if the NX is not much better than the current PS4.

It was in 2006 when Nintendo showed to us they longer cared about specs wars and hardcore gamers only to realize that demographic is the backbone of the industry. Casual gamers are now too busy playing on their smartphones and tablets. I like the move but this shows Nintendo in desperation mode and waving the white flag early for the Wii U while still playing catchup to Microsoft and Sony technically in specs.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It was in 2006 when Nintendo showed to us they longer cared about specs wars and hardcore gamers only to realize that demographic is the backbone of the industry. Casual gamers are now too busy playing on their smartphones and tablets. I like the move but this shows Nintendo in desperation mode and waving the white flag early for the Wii U while still playing catchup to Microsoft and Sony technically in specs.

Nintendo's hardware specs have been consistently behind their competitors. Why was 2006 any different? Only the GC was more powerful than its competitor, and look how that turned out for them. The Wii was weaker and look what happened there.

It doesn't seem like anything is happening too early. When you look at when new hardware lines are made (5-7 year cycle) and Nintendo only mentioned their going to start talking about their new console next year... looking at how long the announcement>launch gap usually is the Wii U will have had that 6 year life. Lest we forget (EU release years)-
Sony - 1995, 2000, 2006
MS - 2002, 2005, 2013
Nintendo - 1986, 1992, 1997, 2002, 2006, 2012
Nothing out of the ordinary. One thing I wonder is the PS4 and its VR solution, there's no way a PS4 will be able to push good looking games at 2x1080p @ 120fps, I reckon we'll see a PS4.5.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I think alot of us have already outgrew Nintendo. I believe they will never rid of their kiddie label and actually embrace it. For the last 30+ years, they rehash their kiddie characters over and over. When a handheld comes out, they pretty much release a rehashed game from a decade earlier and milk that one. Games found on the Game Boy Advance and DS had many titles that came from the SNES and N64 era but in a fresh new coat of paint or gimmick or two. And Nintendo never undercuts their prices on their software, yet, Sony always get criticized for prices on hardware or doing too much with innovation.

I grew up on Nintendo, so they will always have a special place with me. I owned their first five generation of consoles. NES was my first. SNES is my fav from them. And the Super Mario series, Mario Kart series, Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess, and Mike Tyson's PunchOut!! are some of my favorites. I am happy with their success with the Amibo toys as well. But they really haven't appealed to me since I was a teenager when I saw first saw Super Mario 64. While I thought GameCube was underrated,their last three consoles are nowhere near my Top 5 favs. SNES and NES are in two of my Top 6 (#4, #6) with perhaps PS1, PS2, and Dreamcast higher than SNES. The first two PlayStations simply lasted longer for me at 10+ years of software support and with a more diversified library. Dreamcast was amazing for its short lifespan.

Nintendo was at its pinnacle in the 16-bit 2D era. Their franchise characters have as much depth in storytelling as San Rio characters like Hello Kitty. Fun gameplay, but weak in story. Just trying to look cute with not much personality similar to Disney characters. But the kids still love it...

Reactions: Steeley

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Please not that discussion again *yawn*

Anyway, bc would be nice since I'm not one of those that keep all of their consoles more or less plugged in - rather put them away. Like as a gift or in the basement - forever.

But if bc means lazy defs ultimately won't code for it - then leave it be.

I mean it would be totally cool if they'd rather use the possibilities with online accounts and whatnot to make life better instead of selling you the same thing twice (or thrice, or..) but that be wishful thinking, right? Imagine you could register your purchases and be able to download them afterwards as it pleases you - even if that'd be on the 'next gen'..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.