Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I’ve not yet looked at your links, but what system and controllers are you using to play this?

It will be in their next update - soon.

I'll be using my PS4 Pro and PSVR and just a regular controller.

Though I hear that they've implemented the use of Motion Controllers extremely well.

Those are still quite expensive for the pair, even used...

Reactions: a2jack

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It will be in their next update - soon.

I'll be using my PS4 Pro and PSVR and just a regular controller.

Though I hear that they've implemented the use of Motion Controllers extremely well.

Those are still quite expensive for the pair, even used...
I’ve mentioned this before, but I currently use a Nostromo controller with 20 some buttons on it, and a Razer Gaming mouse with 15 buttons on it and I would be hard pressed to find this level of control in Occus touch controllers or to have all my buttons memorized. For many games, I have have quick reference sheets laid on my desk for the buttons I infrequently use. This is the issue with VR, imo.

Now of note in the game Derail Valley, (not the best name for a train simulation) :p, they include a virtual map of the train line, that you can pick up with your virtual hands and examine in game. I do like that. The train controls are fairly simple and easy to remember.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I’ve mentioned this before, but I currently use a Nostromo controller with 20 some buttons on it, and a Razer Gaming mouse with 15 buttons on it and I would be hard pressed to find this level of control in Occus touch controllers or to have all my buttons memorized. For many games, I have have quick reference sheets laid on my desk for the buttons I infrequently use. This is the issue with VR, imo.

Now of note in the game Derail Valley, (not the best name for a train simulation) :p, they include a virtual map of the train line, that you can pick up with your virtual hands and examine in game. I do like that. The train controls are fairly simple and easy to remember.

What are you using now for VR?

The short amount of time I had the PSVR working on my PC (VR was still kinda early), the games that use keyboard/mouse were impossible - you can't see keyboard/mouse in VR...

That's where the coolness of PSVR comes in and what turns out to be the light on the controller. It is used in VR games to see the position/orientation of the controller. In the headset, you actually see a "Virtual" PS4 controller, complete with button pressing and joystick movement! Plus, it matches if you have a special controller version, and on top of that, the game sometimes has it's own "Custom Themed Controller" (Astrobot Missions, Battlezone) that attention to VR detail is so way, way cool.

Then there's the Aim Controller, especially in DOOM VFR (OMG - carrying a rifle around and shooting in DOOM)... ;)

My understanding is, No Man's Sky will be redesigned in VR to take advantage of the PS4 controller and motion controls.

What they're gonna do for PC, I have no idea.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
What are you using now for VR?

The short amount of time I had the PSVR working on my PC (VR was still kinda early), the games that use keyboard/mouse were impossible - you can't see keyboard/mouse in VR...

That's where the coolness of PSVR comes in and what turns out to be the light on the controller. It is used in VR games to see the position/orientation of the controller. In the headset, you actually see a "Virtual" PS4 controller, complete with button pressing and joystick movement! Plus, it matches if you have a special controller version, and on top of that, the game sometimes has it's own "Custom Themed Controller" (Astrobot Missions, Battlezone) that attention to VR detail is so way, way cool.

Then there's the Aim Controller, especially in DOOM VFR (OMG - carrying a rifle around and shooting in DOOM)... ;)

My understanding is, No Man's Sky will be redesigned in VR to take advantage of the PS4 controller and motion controls.

What they're gonna do for PC, I have no idea.
OR on PC. I use console controller when I have to, but have always preferred keyboard mouse. Console controller joysticks are not nearly as accurate as other devices. I do have a wired Xbox one controller I can use on my PC if needed, but for serious flying simulation, my first choice would be stick, but the same issue arises with having to memorize controls.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Been playing on PC occasionally for years. Got me a Rift S about a month ago, so I can't wait for this update.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
OR on PC. I use console controller when I have to, but have always preferred keyboard mouse. Console controller joysticks are not nearly as accurate as other devices.I do have a wired Xbox one controller I can use on my PC if needed,

, but the same issue arises with having to memorize controls.

On your sim set up, do you have the full rig with peddles etc ?

OR on PC. I use console controller when I have to, but have always preferred keyboard mouse. Console controller joysticks are not nearly as accurate as other devices. I do have a wired Xbox one controller I can use on my PC if needed, but for serious flying simulation, my first choice would be stick, but the same issue arises with having to memorize controls.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
On your sim set up, do you have the full rig with peddles etc ?
I have several older joysticks, Thrustmaster, CH Combatstick, but those still require button memorization with a VR hood on. I’ve never gone as far as pedals, using buttons or levers on the stick.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
The investment required for even consumer level "state of the art" VR is expensive. I'm already at around 2k and growing. LOL

I am trying now to pin down a specific set of tasks I want my system to perform, then buy only into that level, while keeping future expansion in mind.

I do want to do flight Sims, But this time with VR and real stick and rudder. The old sims I tried were keyboard and that was no fun at all.

Above all I want to go into a futuristic village and experience a new unobtainable life, before I leave this one. :rolleyes:

I will be going into Best Buy next week to try out their VR demo unit, I may even book a shot at an arcade to see if the old bod can tolerate it. We shall see.

I have some stuff on content and near future predictions on the state of VR. I'll post this on another thread. A2

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The investment required for even consumer level "state of the art" VR is expensive. I'm already at around 2k and growing. LOL

I am trying now to pin down a specific set of tasks I want my system to perform, then buy only into that level, while keeping future expansion in mind.

I do want to do flight Sims, But this time with VR and real stick and rudder. The old sims I tried were keyboard and that was no fun at all.

Above all I want to go into a futuristic village and experience a new unobtainable life, before I leave this one. :rolleyes:

I will be going into Best Buy next week to try out their VR demo unit, I may even book a shot at an arcade to see if the old bod can tolerate it. We shall see.

I have some stuff on content and near future predictions on the state of VR. I'll post this on another thread. A2
When I built my PC it was $1100. I already had a monitor, keyboard and other accessiries. The Rift was $480, so around $1600. Since then I put in a $500 video card. :eek:
[doublepost=1565102842][/doublepost]
August 14th!!!

Ok, that video sucked for lack of content, lol. :D

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Well, played the PSVR version a bit this morning....

O...... M...... G......

This is awesome immersive!!!!

A great VR game!!!

PROS:

- I have my PS4 Pro hooked up to my home theater, but with the distance to the screen an size, I still have trouble reading small text in games. But the PSVR version of NMS it is like playing it on your desk with a large PC screen and everything is up close and readable. The resource/loadout screens are like HUD's and is awesome.

- Like in DOOM VFR, you can use "teleport" or regular walking depending on your preference. The left joystick is not really look around anymore as you just look around by moving your headset, it is now quick turn left/right - works great....

- Actually being in the vehicles/ships is so awesome....

- I felt like climbing into bed in one of those huts and just lying down to take a nap... ;)

CONS:

- Well, looks like they pulled a "Nintendo Switch Labo VR" to pull off the VR - the resolution is definitely lower. They Need to keep the framerates up, plus this game was originally designed for a 1080p PS4 and PC so complex textures are compromised in the PSVR headset. Don't know how well it will perform in a regular PS4.

- Needs a virtual PS4 controller like in Battlezone VR - i like to look down at the buttons to press sometimes, right now, it is "just an oval" hopefully they'll add that in the future.

- Lower res is also a definite PRO - because you know it is just a video game - if it is TOO REAL, you may want to just stay in there forever... :eek: I assume it will look tons better on a PS5 and PSVR2... (stay away, must stay away...).

Leaving the PSVR hooked up (I put away normally) all weekend... ;)

Anyone playing the PC version your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Anyone playing the PC version your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a copy n paste of a review I gave on Steam.

I've been causally playing this game for years now. That should speak for itself.

So this review is just for the VR side of the update released today. Only played in VR for about two hours. I'm using a Rift S with a 1080ti card.

THE BAD .......

1) The VR graphics could be better. Putting everything on ultra didn't help much.

2) The VR controls need plenty of improvement. The ship controls are pretty sensitive and finicky, I had to play with the control settings a bit, and set the right hand to lock grip on the stick. But on default settings, I couldn't control the ship.

It would be great if you can make the controls similar to Aircar VR that's in the Oculus store. The ship controls for that game is flawless.

3) The menu screen from the left glove is finicky.

4) Can't use my Xbox One controller in VR (Or at least I couldn't figure out how to select it).

THE GOOD ......

1) VR game play seems just as smooth as regular game play. No crashes yet.

2) Flying ships in VR is sweet.

3) You can play from the same saved file in regular or VR mode.

So far I like, just needs more improvement, mainly with controls.

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.