Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
Well, the folks at Obsidian Studios are back with what looks like a really good RPG for Xbox, PS4 and PC. It will be out sometime next year and frankly, if it lives up to the Announcement Trailer, it may well be one of the best RPG's in a while. These are the folks that brought us Fallout:New Vegas and that game was solid!

Reactions: sartrekid

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
There's now a video of gameplay footage out. It really looks outstanding! This is a game that really gets in your face where Bethesda is concerned! The graphics are top notch and the interactions look to be fantastic! If you like Fallout:New Vegas, you're going to love this game!

Reactions: sartrekid

DarthVader!

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2013
Mustafar
Its intriguing to be sure. I do find it funny they are leveraging the fact that its from the same people from Fallout new vegas. Both taking advantage of the beloved status, and taking a shot at the current status of Fallout 76, Reviled

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've been playing the Outer Worlds for the past couple of days and I'm incredibly impressed. It's a rich, engaging game that so far doesn't seem too buggy. Basically everything that is not Fallout 76.

The controls/interface seem a tad complex and it's taken me a little while to figure it out. Designing your character with its traits can be overwhelming. I started the game and decided to re-start with a different character definition.

One recommendation is to invest in the traits that enhance lying/persuasion as the game being a true RPG, you do have a lot of conversations.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have to say this game is incredibly rich and well thought out. earlier actions in the game can come back to haunt you. I thought I was doing the right thing with the inconclasts but ended up unable to avoid a war with them.

While not a completely open world, the attention to detail is incredible, and so far, I've not run into any major bugs. its funny, how I mentioned building up your lie/persuasion skills, yet, I keep upping my long gun skills. So far, I've not needed to beef up the medical/science/engineering attributes too much, but I have to sneak nicely specced for my character

I can see myself replaying this game, as it has enough depth and, I'd like to re-do some missions differently. The game allows you to re-spec your character but so for I'm happy with how things are fleshing out.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
While I've certainly spent more than my fair share of time in Bethesda games, I'm interested in hearing what separates it from the last 5 or their games. The engine/gameplay got stale for me with Skyrim and FO4, and I never got around to finishing them.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
While I've certainly spent more than my fair share of time in Bethesda games, I'm interested in hearing what separates it from the last 5 or their games. The engine/gameplay got stale for me with Skyrim and FO4, and I never got around to finishing them.
Well, "Outer Worlds" isn't a Bethesda Game. It's an Obsidian game, (The makers of Fallout: New Vegas). It's got a feel like F:NV but a very clean look and a good engine. I haven't heard a bad word about it, yet. My wife is loving it!

Reactions: Painter2002

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm interested in hearing what separates it from the last 5 or their games.
What separates this from Bethesda's other games, is that its made by Obisidian - the maker of Fallout: New Vegas (published by Bethesda).

They're using the Unreal engine instead of the buggy and unstable creation engine.

Looks like Obsidian isn't resting on its laurels either, it appears that we'll be seeing a patch shortly.

Rumors have a december date for a DLC announcement as well.

Reactions: Painter2002

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
One of the things, that this patch will help with is font size. Playing on my PS4, the fonts are much too small, and I often have to stand to see what's being displayed. In part that's why I should have opted for the PC version

kamikazeeMC

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
I'm thinking of getting an ultra-wide and play OW :eek:

Haha it depends on the game, generally I don’t have an issue. Usually when I crank FOV I can notice the overall view zoom out, also in general I have issues with narrow FOV, on some of the earlier COD games that were locked and playing on a 24” 16:9, I struggled with. I can play CS:GO just fine, but If you’re really into competitive play, trying to spot stuff on the edges can be hard. 3rd person and isometric view games look glorious though!

Reactions: maflynn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.