Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
I wouldn't be sure about that. The launch price is a key factor to success. Sony did very well selling the PS4 at a loss initially.

They used to need to to build up an installed base to attract publishers to the platform for software and services. This next generation of consoles will be playing the same games so there is no need to get an installed base as they already have it. Having consoles like PC’s now has changed the landscape of the market. Why do you think that Sony snd Microsoft made a profit on every PS4 Pro and One X sold.
[doublepost=1564092179][/doublepost]
Indeed, I think it's all about getting as much consoles in the living rooms as possible. (or whatever room in the house). And then you got people who will be buying games for years to come, and many to pay for PS Plus or other services. And that's where the positive cashflow is. You only sell the hardware once but the software, that's for the rest of the consoles' life.

but they don’t now, they sell a base console, then one that’s a bit better and makes games in your library look better, then a high end console that improves your library again. It will be the same for the next consoles too.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I must say that my PS4 Pro never gets loud. Even now during the summer and with long sessions of Assassin's Creed. (4hrs and more). No idea why people are complaining? Is that a PS4 slim thing? Or the original model?

I don't have a pro. My PS4 sounds like an airplane getting ready to take off sometimes.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
On an unrelated ps5 note.. I finally upgraded the 1tb drive in my slim to an ssd. Can't believe I didn't do it sooner! Glad to hear the ps5 will come with ssd's but I couldn't hold out any longer.

Reactions: orbital~debris

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I'm using a 4TB external disk where I "park" games I've finished but don't want to delete :) (internal drive is 850 gigs in use of the 1TB)

i'm really hoping I can just hook it up to the PS5 and that all the games will be still there, ready to play (or with a little upgrade), but I fear that's maybe asking too much?

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I'm using a 4TB external disk where I "park" games I've finished but don't want to delete :) (internal drive is 850 gigs in use of the 1TB)

i'm really hoping I can just hook it up to the PS5 and that all the games will be still there, ready to play (or with a little upgrade), but I fear that's maybe asking too much?

Haha I'm the opposite, when I finish a game I often delete it only keeping 3-4 games active at once. I would guess they're not going to design the ps5 to work in the way that you just plug in your old external and it will work. I imagine you'll have to re-download the entire game. I would continue to guess that as long as you have PS plus, all your saves should be moved over to the ps5 (hopefully) without incident.

** :D It's only been 5 days since I installed this ssd in the ps4 and I'm continuously blown away but how much more quickly the games load.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Haha I'm the opposite, when I finish a game I often delete it only keeping 3-4 games active at once. I would guess they're not going to design the ps5 to work in the way that you just plug in your old external and it will work. I imagine you'll have to re-download the entire game. I would continue to guess that as long as you have PS plus, all your saves should be moved over to the ps5 (hopefully) without incident.

** :D It's only been 5 days since I installed this ssd in the ps4 and I'm continuously blown away but how much more quickly the games load.

PS Plus backs up all your saves automatically. Just setup a new console with your profile and if I remember you can manually download your saves as well as it do it automatically?

Shame we’ve not had anymore news on the two next gen consoles. Currently I’m leaning more towards the next Xbox, but we need lots more info yet before decisions can be made.

Having all the consoles this gen they certainly all have their pros and cons I can tell you!. But really need to stick to one next gen, I don’t have the time haha.

I do still plan on changing my Switch for a Switch Lite next month, thinking of putting it on my bedside table then on a small charting dock.

Last edited:

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
PS Plus backs up all your saves automatically. Just setup a new console with your profile and if I remember you Dan manually download your saves as well as it do it automatically?

You can choose to download all of your cloud saves at once. I know this because AC Odyssey locked up on me and when I forced a reboot it told me the file system was corrupted and I had to reinstall everything. :-/

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
You can choose to download all of your cloud saves at once. I know this because AC Odyssey locked up on me and when I forced a reboot it told me the file system was corrupted and I had to reinstall everything. :-/

Mine is set for automatic uploads. Even though I copied it to usb just in case.. when I reinstalled the OS, all the cloud saves were automatically synced ready to go.

Reactions: orbital~debris

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
On an unrelated ps5 note.. I finally upgraded the 1tb drive in my slim to an ssd. Can't believe I didn't do it sooner! Glad to hear the ps5 will come with ssd's but I couldn't hold out any longer.
Upgrading PS4 with SSD is the best thing I could do when I purchased PS4 Pro on the release day. I remember the days of GTA5 where friends were stuck on the loading like 2x as long on regular HDD compared to SSD.

Reactions: BenTrovato

Burningtime

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
BOSTON, MA.

Xmas 2020 with Taptic feedback in the controller. ?

These new systems are shaping up to be great. I just really hope that the awful sounding microphone and Sony AI assistant doesn’t make the final cut on these controllers. That sounds horrible and gimmicky.

Reactions: BlankStar

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Here’s the Wired article from this morning with extra details, they interviewed Cerny and some others and played a PS5 dev kit!

And at last!!! Cerny CONFIRMS the PS5 will have HARDWARE ACCELERATED Ray Tracing!!! And he admits a he didn’t help the speculation around that with what he said in April...

I think I’m all in on the PS5 to be honest, I’ve had too many buggy games on Xbox, Gears 5 being a recent prime example...!!

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’ll definitely pick up the PS5, I kind of regret buying a PS4 Pro, I think it wasn’t really necessary for me to purchase this, especially considering that I own the Xbox one X that offers so much more potential. I think the PS4 Pro was really aiming to steal sales away and compete with Xbox one X as a stop gap, but I think the PS5 will definitely have some future titles that will probably not be handled down to the older generation PlayStation’s. I’ll likely sell my PS4 Pro. (Now that GameStops are closing left and right 😁).

I’m just curious to see how many more ‘exclusive titles’ PlayStation has in the future they will be targeted at the new PS5.

The only thing I question, is that if there’s any potential delays, but that’s such a big time of the year for gaming to release titles and hardware, that I would think Sony should have everything in line ready to launch, similar to how the Xbox one X launched November 2017.

Last edited:

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I must say that the first thing I want to know now, is the design of the new console. I know that the hardware, OS, etc is way more important, but still... :)

Read the Wired article, and it all sounds so much fun. I'm not regretting getting me a PS4 Pro, unlike @Relentless Power , because I've had so much fun with games like The Last of us Remastered, God of War, the Uncharted-series, Horizon Zero Dawn, etc, etc... And the games that are getting released in the coming months are just mouthwatering!

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Usually I don't get Playstations at launch. I wait a year for a bundle deal because there's usually not a launch title that interests me. If the new Assassin's Creed is a launch title like Black Flag was with PS4 I am all in.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I've moved more to PC gaming these days. There is just so much overlap with consoles. The exceptions are the various Nintendo and PlayStation exclusives. I do not like Nintendo games, personally. But PlayStation games are top notch so I expect I'll be picking up a PS5 at some point. Launch price and game offering will determine when exactly.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I've moved more to PC gaming these days. There is just so much overlap with consoles. The exceptions are the various Nintendo and PlayStation exclusives. I do not like Nintendo games, personally. But PlayStation games are top notch so I expect I'll be picking up a PS5 at some point. Launch price and game offering will determine when exactly.

As I was reading the start of your paragraph I started thinking "But there's so many great PS exclusives." :D

Reactions: TopherMan12

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
As I was reading the start of your paragraph I started thinking "But there's so many great PS exclusives." :D

lol....and that's what keeps me coming back! Heck, the follow ups to The Last of Us, Spider-man, God of War, and Horizon Zero Dawn are enough for me to jump back into PlayStation next gen. I will be there....just a matter of when.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.