Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
lol....and that's what keeps me coming back! Heck, the follow ups to The Last of Us, Spider-man, God of War, and Horizon Zero Dawn are enough for me to jump back into PlayStation next gen. I will be there....just a matter of when.

Couldn't agree more with each of those titles!

Reactions: TopherMan12

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
13DC0948-5A67-4EC5-8FD8-776D81728B90.jpeg

This definitely was not a ‘leak’, more like ‘hype marketing’. But hey, it looks freakin awesome. Day_one_purchase for me. Can’t wait for December 2020.

Burningtime

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
BOSTON, MA.
View attachment 880163

This definitely was not a ‘leak’, more like ‘hype marketing’. But hey, it looks freakin awesome. Day_one_purchase for me. Can’t wait for December 2020.

That’s just a Development Kit though. They always look crazy. You can see a Dev Kit for the PS4 in that picture also if you look at the full pic.
The actual PS5 won’t look anything like that at all.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
View attachment 880163

That’s just a Development Kit though. They always look crazy. You can see a Dev Kit for the PS4 in that picture also if you look at the full pic.

Thank God - I think that thing looks atrocious....

Looks like a throw-back to the 90's... ;)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Thank God - I think that thing looks atrocious....

Looks like a throw-back to the 90's... ;)

Dude, 90’s or not, I’ll take two of them..😁. Symmetrically, I suspect the PS5 will have some resemblance to this. Anyways, it’s funny how this was photo was trending as ‘leaked’, which is far from it, this is pure marketing stimulus, the X-Box one X had the same _exact_ thing happen.
[automerge]1575220997[/automerge]

I’d ask you for a source, but you wouldn’t have one .😁 It will have some form or fashion of a symmetrical design as what we’re seeing above. Will it look exactly like that? Probably not, The final version will have different tweaks/cosmetic differences, but the actual ‘console housing’ isn’t changing entirely, not when the console itself probably will hit mass production in 2020 second quarter, the finalizations of the hardware are undoubtedly complete.

Last edited:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Dude, 90’s or not, I’ll take two of them..?. Symmetrically, I suspect the PS5 will have some resemblance to this. Anyways, it’s funny how this was photo was trending as ‘leaked’, which is far from it, this is pure marketing stimulus, the X-Box one X had the same _exact_ thing happen.

I’d ask you for a source, but you wouldn’t have one .? It will have some form or fashion of a symmetrical design as what we’re seeing above. Will it look exactly like that? Probably not, The final version will have different tweaks/cosmetic differences, but the actual ‘console housing’ isn’t changing entirely, not when the console itself probably will hit mass production in 2020 second quarter, the finalizations of the hardware are undoubtedly complete.

This is total ugly compared to the PS4 and PS4 Pro, no way are they going to release this thing as is looking like some chinese knockoff game console...

The new Atari VCS looks better.

Burningtime

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
BOSTON, MA.
Dude, 90’s or not, I’ll take two of them..?. Symmetrically, I suspect the PS5 will have some resemblance to this. Anyways, it’s funny how this was photo was trending as ‘leaked’, which is far from it, this is pure marketing stimulus, the X-Box one X had the same _exact_ thing happen.

I’d ask you for a source, but you wouldn’t have one .? It will have some form or fashion of a symmetrical design as what we’re seeing above. Will it look exactly like that? Probably not, The final version will have different tweaks/cosmetic differences, but the actual ‘console housing’ isn’t changing entirely, not when the console itself probably will hit mass production in 2020 second quarter, the finalizations of the hardware are undoubtedly complete.

My "source" is every single development kit ever made for a console system. What's your source exactly? Try googling "Dev Kit" and adding any system after that. Like I said, in the exact picture you posted, if you view the full pic you can also see a PS4 dev kit that was sent to the same developer and it's wildly different than the consumer PS4 that was shipped to stores. These kits usually even have features (ie the display screen on the front of the box) that are only for developers to use.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My "source" is every single development kit ever made for a console system. What's your source exactly?

Ok, So.. no source for the future PS5 console final design then? Got it.😁 I made the comment the console will probably have some form/fashion symmetrically, I don’t have reason to believe it will dramatically look _that_ much different from what we’re seeing here. There will be some cosmetic alterations, but I suspect it will be a completely different design from the typical consoles in the past.

Burningtime

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
BOSTON, MA.
Ok, So.. no source for the future PS5 console final design then? Got it.? I made the comment the console will probably have some form/fashion symmetrically, I don’t have reason to believe it will dramatically look _that_ much different from what we’re seeing here. There will be some cosmetic alterations, but I suspect it will be a completely different design from the typical consoles in the past.

You're already backpedaling. You were about to buy a few of them on that look alone, which it won't have. ? Got it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You're already backpedaling. You were about to buy a few of them on that look alone

The difference is....I didn’t make any definitive claims as you did though, but if you want call it ‘backpedaling’, that’s fine by me. I have no personal investment of caring how this console looks, I will gladly purchase it when the time comes December 2020. I’ve owned pretty much every Console known to the gamer today, and not once have I thought ‘This needs to be ‘aesthetically pleasing in order for me to buy it’, it’s about what the console potentially can offer in terms of content/hardware advancements.

On a side note:

It’s evident you’re taking this personally, but you made the claim that the ‘PS5 will look nothing like this’, when you yourself have _no_ idea what the PS5 final design will resemble [Regardless of past developer kits], but again, I suspect the PS5 will be a completely one-off device that we haven’t seen before from past design consoles.

Either way, we don’t need to agree here, just don’t make claims that you can’t assert yourself without knowing specifically what it will look like when we’re more than a year off from the final release.

Reactions: Burningtime

Burningtime

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
BOSTON, MA.
The difference is....I didn’t make any definitive claims as you did though, but if you want call it ‘backpedaling’, that’s fine by me. I have no personal investment of caring how this console looks, I will gladly purchase it when the time comes December 2020. I’ve owned pretty much every Console known to the gamer today, and not once have I thought ‘This needs to be ‘aesthetically pleasing in order for me to buy it’, it’s about what the console potentially can offer in terms of content/hardware advancements.

On a side note:

It’s evident you’re taking this personally, but you made the claim that the ‘PS5 will look nothing like this’, when you yourself have _no_ idea what the PS5 final design will resemble [Regardless of past developer kits], but again, I suspect the PS5 will be a completely one-off device that we haven’t seen before from past design consoles.

Either way, we don’t need to agree here, just don’t make claims that you can’t assert yourself without knowing specifically what it will look like when we’re more than a year off from the final release.

Ok that's fair enough. I was responding to your original post but it came off on my part as a bit rude in response to the post you wrote afterwards.
You're right, we don't know what this will look like. And I'm also getting this when it launches as I really enjoyed the PS4.

Reactions: 44267547

EmlynDewar

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Chengdu, China
Isn't the reason they're like this, to allow stacking on top of each other with no impact to airflow?

There's no way the final console will look like this, it'll be a black or limited edition white box.
Nobody liked late 90's/early 00's cheap PC case design, Sony aren't going to implement this style in their consumer products 20 years later.

Reactions: TopherMan12

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
As stated already, on the same picture, those two stacked systems on the top right are a PS4 and PS4 Pro, so it's safe to state that the actual PS5 won't look anything like the V-shaped devices used to develop PS5 games on :)

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
I know the leaked PS5 development kit is not what the actual consumer console is going to look like. However, I do expect it to have some design elements of the development kit. That V-shape could also by a representation of the Roman numeral V.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
My mood:
- I'll buy it in 2021 when there are some nice packs with two controllers and a nice game

Reality:
- Second I see the console I'm pre-ordering.

I was actually able to do that and not but the PS4 until a year after it had been out. If they have the AC game out as a launch title I will crack no doubt!

Reactions: BlankStar

Burningtime

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
BOSTON, MA.
My expectations:
- february 2020: PS5 event where they'll reveal the Tech Specs
- E3: the design of the console

My mood:
- I'll buy it in 2021 when there are some nice packs with two controllers and a nice game

Reality:
- Second I see the console I'm pre-ordering.

:cool:

Hah that last part is too true. I’m just glad there will be backwards compatibility on day one.

Reactions: BlankStar

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Hah that last part is too true. I’m just glad there will be backwards compatibility on day one.

Supposedly, all you need to do is put the original disc in (like XBox)...

The local movie/music/game resale store has been "stocking up" on PS1 (the rarer ones), PS2 and PS3 games (like multiple copies of the popular stuff) and prices have been inching upward... :eek:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Supposedly, all you need to do is put the original disc in (like XBox)...

The local movie/music/game resale store has been "stocking up" on PS1 (the rarer ones), PS2 and PS3 games (like multiple copies of the popular stuff) and prices have been inching upward... :eek:
Why are they stocking up on PS1/2/3 games, I thought it was only going to be backward compatible with PS4 titles (as they're going to be very similar machines) - PS3 uses the very different Cell processor and I believe the PS and PS2 use custom ARM-type chips...

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Indeed, only thing I’ve ever read about is PS4 compatibilit. Earlier generations weren’t mentioned so far... That local store is doing some serious wishful thinking ?

Aditya rathee

macrumors regular
May 1, 2019
India
I dont care about ps5 ( at the time being )
i just want apple to quickly add support for ps5 controller as soon as ps5 is released cos its the only reason i am not buying a ps4 or xbox one controller right now as next yr they will look even old as much ss they are now

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I dont care about ps5 ( at the time being )
i just want apple to quickly add support for ps5 controller as soon as ps5 is released cos its the only reason i am not buying a ps4 or xbox one controller right now as next yr they will look even old as much ss they are now

So you're waiting more than a year for a controller? A controller that was on sale for $40 and less during black friday...

ok then :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.