Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
What accessories are you guys currently using for your desktop setups? I’ve been on the hunt and found a few things that get mostly to there, but something falls short.

I came across this new hub/dock on Kickstarter called MagicDock. It’s currently for the 2018 iPads. I know some of you may be interested in something like this so I felt like sharing it. this looks to me like a pretty damn good desktop solution.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stevewarren/magicdock/description

Full disclosure: I am NOT affiliated with this company in any way and that is not an affiliate link. I DID back the project and thought I would share it.

Attachments

• C0019E4B-3D4D-4AC0-9600-37EA6A6486A0.gif
    C0019E4B-3D4D-4AC0-9600-37EA6A6486A0.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 504
  • 21AEBA24-72A9-4F7A-BDE4-AD8157850186.png
    21AEBA24-72A9-4F7A-BDE4-AD8157850186.png
    237.5 KB · Views: 386

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
This is a very nice stand - I have been watching their Kickstarter campaign for a while. Now, I will never pay for anything on Kickstarter, but if/when they come out with a shipping product and there are some reviews out there - I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
And just like that - this project is over:

The whole Kickstarter thing is a fundamentally flawed concept. An unexperienced, under-resourced and misguided hardware designer with undue focus on marketing and pretty sketches.. funded by a bunch of impatient and demanding consumers with a set of unrealistic expectations for a hardware manufacturing project. What can POSSIBLY go wrong?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
And just like that - this project is over:

The whole Kickstarter thing is a fundamentally flawed concept. An unexperienced, under-resourced and misguided hardware designer with undue focus on marketing and pretty sketches.. funded by a bunch of impatient and demanding consumers with a set of unrealistic expectations for a hardware manufacturing project. What can POSSIBLY go wrong?

"the marketing company that was partnered with us took 25%". Now there's a nice gig.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
"the marketing company that was partnered with us took 25%". Now there's a nice gig.
It's an unfortunate reality. With the popularity & success of Kickstarter, then Indiegogo, it's easy to get ignored & lost in the shuffle. As you can see, the marketing company did their part and got the project noticed, which in turn was shared by someone else here. If you don't have an established presence in the area you are trying to reach or a history with other successful projects, you may feel the need to use a marketing group to fund your first project.

Mind you, there's history that if you can find out a marketing group is involved, you should stay very very far away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.