Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
What is Jailbreaking?

Jailbreaking in the purest sense is a process of removing the code signing restrictions Apple places on their phones. This means that code from anywhere can run on your device, greatly expanding its use, but also leading to security issues if you aren't careful.

Is it illegal?

No it is not. In most nations, this process is legal since you own the phone and hardware and thus are allowed to use it as you please.

HOWEVER, it opens up the possibility for piracy. That is definitely illegal. Please don't pirate tweaks or apps or get free in app purchases. If someone stopped paying you for your job, you would leave. Don't make developers leave or else jailbreaking will fade away and app quality will plummet.

Doesn't it void warranty/destroy your phone/cause global economic panic?

Yes, it does void your warranty (though it seems Apple may be reversing course on this). However, if you need to have your device serviced, you can simply restore the phone with iTunes and it will be impossible to tell it was ever jailbroken.

It does not hurt the phone in any way, though if you install things from less than reputable repos (I'll get to that later), you can leave your data vulnerable as happened in the case of iOS 8.

What do I need?

You need an iPhone or iPad running iOS 8.1, 8.3 or 9.0.x (not 8.4 or 9.1).
If you are on 9.0.x, you'll need a windows PC. 8.3 users can use Windows or Mac.

You'll also need a tool for your platform
8.1 and 9.0.x are found here: Here
8.1-8.4.0 here: Here

Follow the instructions given on the websites and in the tool itself.

REMEMBER TO ALWAYS DISABLE FIND MY IPHONE, TURN OFF PASSCODE, AND TURN ON AIRPLANE MODE
You can change it back once the Jailbreak is finished, but those must be off to succeed and not make your phone a brick

I like the eyoungren method. Here you go

Jailbroken already.
1. Connect to iTunesand backup
2. Leave iPhone connected to iTunes/computer, power off
3. Place iPhone in DFU mode
4. When iPhone is detected by iTunes, upgrade and restore as new
5. Disable Find my iPhone, TouchID, passcode lock and set screen to Never Lock
6. Leave iTunes open and Jailbreak (as an Administrator if using Windows)
7. Restore from backup.

Stock
1. Connect to iTunes and backup
2. Restore iPhone as new
3. Disable Find my iPhone, TouchID, passcode lock and set screen to Never Lock
4. Leave iTunes open and Jailbreak (as an Administrator if using Windows)
5. Restore from backup

I followed the instructions and now I have this weird brown app Cydia. What's this?

Cydia is your friend. You will spend more time on it than in the real world in the next few hours (not recommended).

Really though, Cydia is an installer for modifications, tweaks, apps, themes, and everything in between. It compliments Apple's App Store, but does not replace it.

On your first launch, Cydia will say preparing file system. Don't worry, just let it sit until it reboots.

Once that's over, you can now enter and see all the cool tweaks and apps.

What's respringing?

Think of respringing as a shorter reboot. It kills all open apps, but leaves the hardware on and networks connected.

What's a repo/repository?

A repo is a digital storage container for jailbroken apps and tweaks. There are a few preinstalled, but if you want to add lesser know ones, just go to the Sources tab, then press Edit in the top right, then press Add in the top left. You need to use a full link, so that includes the http:// stuff.

WARNING: There are repos that allow you to install pirated material. Not only is that illegal and morally wrong, but you are opening yourself to malware. There was an outbreak just this year through a piracy repo, so keep in mind that by using untrustworthy sources, you could be giving away your data. http://www.wired.com/2015/08/hack-brief-malware-hits-225000-jailbroken-mostly-chinese-iphones/
Trustworthy repos like the ones included are very safe, so don't worry about getting infected there.

What's a package?

A package is a term for an installable file in Cydia, whether a theme, an app, or a tweak.

These paid apps suck. I can't install them.

To download and purchase paid application, first you must create a Cydia account and link a payment option. To do that, do to the Featured tab and press "Manage Account". Now you can either use google or facebook to sign in. Choose the one you want. Now, go back to the paid package. Press "Purchase from the top right". Log in again. You can now select a payment method. Paypal is the preferred one since you can stay signed in. Now you can use your account to pay for purchases.

Where do my paid tweaks go?

To view your previously purchased packages, go to the "Featured" tab, select manage account, sign in with the account you purchased the tweaks with, and then select installable purchases.

Whats a good tweak to do...?

If you find yourself asking this, make sure to search google and the forums first before creating random threads. You aren't the first one to need a tweak. If you still can't find it, go to the thread created for this purpose, don't make new ones.

I want file system access. Is that possible?

Yes it is. Use iFile from Cydia. It is free, but buying the $4.99 license gives you access to its great search capability and much more.

I want more security. MOOOR!

A good way to stay safe is by changing your root password. However, as far as I know, no terminal application works on iOS 9, so you can not do this as of yet. To do it however, you would install a terminal client from Cydia like MTerminal. Then, follow these steps

iphonehacks.com said:
Change root password
  • Launch the MTerminal app from the Home screen.
  • Type su root at the prompt and tap on the return key.
  • You will be prompted to enter the password, enter alpine and tap the return key.
  • Type passwd
  • You will be prompted to enter the new password, enter a new password and tap the return key.
  • You will be prompted to re-enter the new password, enter the new password again and tap the return key. (Note that your keypresses will not be displayed on the terminal screen for security reasons)
Change mobile user password
You should also change the password of the mobile user, which is the regular user account on your device.

• Enter passwd mobile and tap on the return key.
  • You will be prompted to enter the new password. Enter alpine, and tap on the return key to continue.
  • You will be prompted to re-enter the new password, enter alpine again and tap the return key.
Once done, your old root and mobile user passwords should now be changed to the new password you just set.

You can also change the password via OpenSSH, but I prefer this method as you don’t need a computer.

Issues Section

Oh %#@$, I'm in safe mode! Help me!!

No need to worry. Safe mode is activated when a tweak or other code causes the system to crash. It is protecting you from a the headache of a bootloop.

When this happens, the first thing I try is to press the restart button on the popup it shows. If that sends you back to safe mode, dismiss the popup and head over into cydia. Find the last package(s) you installed from the installed tab at the bottom. Click on the button that says "Modify" in the top right. Now click remove and then confirm. Respring after that and you should have fixed your issue.

No you liar! It's still in safe mode! Fix my phone or I'll sue

I've had times where I screwed up this bad and had no idea what I did. To fix this, go into Cydia and find the package "Cydia Substrate" (used to be Mobile Substrate). Click on it and then Modify and then Remove. You should see a super long list of things that will be removed with it (Screen shot this). Your issues should now clear up and you can begin readding old tweaks one by one to find the issue.

I installed a tweak and now Cydia keeps crashing all the time.

In iOS 9, this has been a problematic bug. It happens with tweaks that work properly on iOS, but haven't patched this bug through an update. Hopefully Saurik fixes this from the Cydia, end, but for now, the only way to fix it is to boot up into No Substrate Mode (my own name for it) and remove the last tweak or few that you installed.

Well how do I boot into No Substrate Mode?

Press and hold home+Power buttons until the apple logo appears. Then, release the buttons and press and hold volume up until you see the lockscreen. This disables all Cydia Substrate tweaks. The only way to get back out of it is to turn off the phone and reboot, this time without volume up.

My phone is bootlooping and I can't fix it by going into No Substrate Mode.

Warning: You will loose your jailbreak
Plug your phone into iTunes. Then do the steps below
Press and hold home+power until the Apple logo turns off, appears again, and turns back off. Once it turns off, keep holding for 1 more second, and then release power and keep holding home for 20 seconds. iTunes should say your device is in recovery mode and offer to restore your device.

There's an update for iOS. Should I install it?

It depends on you. If you want to keep your jailbreak, don't do it until a new jailbreak is released, and even then, tweaks may be incompatible for weeks on the new software.

I want to remove my jailbreak for whatever reason. How?

Connect to iTunes. Put your phone in dfu mode (Turn off your phone completely. Then press power for 3 seconds, followed by home+power for 10 seconds, then keep your finger on home and release power for 20 seconds). Then, restore it. No one will know you're jailbroken

Last edited:

ShinyDren

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Ambitoysterous, USA
Nice writeup, thanks for doing it.

What do I need?

If you are on 9.0.x, you'll need a windows PC. 8.3 users can use Windows or Mac.

8.3 here: Here

Just a point of clarification, the Taig jailbreak does support 8.4 (but not 8.4.1),their website actually lists it as 8.1.3-8.4.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I might suggest a process for jailbreaking that I follow and has led to decent results for me.

Jailbroken already.
7. Restore from backup.

Stock
2. Restore iPhone as new (Erase All Contents and Settings from the device)
5. Restore from backup

This process is a bit long, but so far it's worked well for me. Just thought I would suggest it for this thread.

Last edited:

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
I might suggest a process for jailbreaking that I follow and has led to decent results for me.

Jailbroken already.
7. Restore from backup.

Stock
2. Restore iPhone as new
5. Restore from backup

This process is a bit long, but so far it's worked well for me. Just thought I would suggest it for this thread.
I just added it to the OP

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
"eyoungren method"
This is just standard old school method we old farts in jb still use even though it's not really needed anymore w the way jbs and the advent of iCloud backups are done nowadays.

Reactions: eyoungren

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
"eyoungren method"
This is just standard old school method we old farts in jb still use even though it's not really needed anymore w the way jbs and the advent of iCloud backups are done nowadays.
Yeah I remember having to do that. After the second time I was over it and got lazy. That's probably when I started having lots errors :)

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2010
Excellent jail breaking guide

How about adding a section for saving shsh blobs? I've been jail breaking since 3GS but never saved shsh blobs so a numpty guide would be good

Some questions
1- what is a shsh blob
2- why would you want to save a shsh blob
3- ok, you decided you want to save shsh blobs. How do you do it?

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
Excellent jail breaking guide

How about adding a section for saving shsh blobs? I've been jail breaking since 3GS but never saved shsh blobs so a numpty guide would be good

Some questions
1- what is a shsh blob
2- why would you want to save a shsh blob
3- ok, you decided you want to save shsh blobs. How do you do it?
Unfortunately shsh blobs are no longer sufficient to downgrade on almost all iOS devices, so I won't be including that.

blake.ande

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2016
I've heard Untethered and Tethered jailbreaking. What's the different between them?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've heard Untethered and Tethered jailbreaking. What's the different between them?
A tethered jailbreak requires your iDevice to be connected to a computer running the jailbreak software if you wish to restart your device. The jailbreak must execute each time. Restarting your device without this results in limited functionality.

An untethered jailbreak means you can restart your device without it being connected to a computer running the jailbreak software. Your device remains jailbroken and fully functional.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
iMO1RVL.png

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/3xgsdx/discussion_this_is_how_we_change_peoples_view_on/

idoccurt

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
What is Jailbreaking?

Jailbreaking in the purest sense is a process of removing the code signing restrictions Apple places on their phones. This means that code from anywhere can run on your device, greatly expanding its use, but also leading to security issues if you aren't careful.

Is it illegal?

No it is not. In most nations, this process is legal since you own the phone and hardware and thus are allowed to use it as you please.

HOWEVER, it opens up the possibility for piracy. That is definitely illegal. Please don't pirate tweaks or apps or get free in app purchases. If someone stopped paying you for your job, you would leave. Don't make developers leave or else jailbreaking will fade away and app quality will plummet.

Doesn't it void warranty/destroy your phone/cause global economic panic?

Yes, it does void your warranty (though it seems Apple may be reversing course on this). However, if you need to have your device serviced, you can simply restore the phone with iTunes and it will be impossible to tell it was ever jailbroken.

It does not hurt the phone in any way, though if you install things from less than reputable repos (I'll get to that later), you can leave your data vulnerable as happened in the case of iOS 8.

What do I need?

8.1-8.4.0 here: Here

Follow the instructions given on the websites and in the tool itself.

REMEMBER TO ALWAYS DISABLE FIND MY IPHONE, TURN OFF PASSCODE, AND TURN ON AIRPLANE MODE
You can change it back once the Jailbreak is finished, but those must be off to succeed and not make your phone a brick

I like the eyoungren method. Here you go

Jailbroken already.
1. Connect to iTunesand backup
7. Restore from backup.

Stock
2. Restore iPhone as new
5. Restore from backup

I followed the instructions and now I have this weird brown app Cydia. What's this?

Cydia is your friend. You will spend more time on it than in the real world in the next few hours (not recommended).

Really though, Cydia is an installer for modifications, tweaks, apps, themes, and everything in between. It compliments Apple's App Store, but does not replace it.

On your first launch, Cydia will say preparing file system. Don't worry, just let it sit until it reboots.

Once that's over, you can now enter and see all the cool tweaks and apps.

What's respringing?

Think of respringing as a shorter reboot. It kills all open apps, but leaves the hardware on and networks connected.

What's a repo/repository?

A repo is a digital storage container for jailbroken apps and tweaks. There are a few preinstalled, but if you want to add lesser know ones, just go to the Sources tab, then press Edit in the top right, then press Add in the top left. You need to use a full link, so that includes the http:// stuff.

WARNING: There are repos that allow you to install pirated material. Not only is that illegal and morally wrong, but you are opening yourself to malware. There was an outbreak just this year through a piracy repo, so keep in mind that by using untrustworthy sources, you could be giving away your data. http://www.wired.com/2015/08/hack-brief-malware-hits-225000-jailbroken-mostly-chinese-iphones/
Trustworthy repos like the ones included are very safe, so don't worry about getting infected there.

What's a package?

A package is a term for an installable file in Cydia, whether a theme, an app, or a tweak.

These paid apps suck. I can't install them.

To download and purchase paid application, first you must create a Cydia account and link a payment option. To do that, do to the Featured tab and press "Manage Account". Now you can either use google or facebook to sign in. Choose the one you want. Now, go back to the paid package. Press "Purchase from the top right". Log in again. You can now select a payment method. Paypal is the preferred one since you can stay signed in. Now you can use your account to pay for purchases.

Where do my paid tweaks go?

To view your previously purchased packages, go to the "Featured" tab, select manage account, sign in with the account you purchased the tweaks with, and then select installable purchases.

Whats a good tweak to do...?

If you find yourself asking this, make sure to search google and the forums first before creating random threads. You aren't the first one to need a tweak. If you still can't find it, go to the thread created for this purpose, don't make new ones.

I want file system access. Is that possible?

Yes it is. Use iFile from Cydia. It is free, but buying the $4.99 license gives you access to its great search capability and much more.

I want more security. MOOOR!

A good way to stay safe is by changing your root password. However, as far as I know, no terminal application works on iOS 9, so you can not do this as of yet. To do it however, you would install a terminal client from Cydia like MTerminal. Then, follow these steps

You can also change the password via OpenSSH, but I prefer this method as you don’t need a computer.

Issues Section

Oh %#@$, I'm in safe mode! Help me!!

No need to worry. Safe mode is activated when a tweak or other code causes the system to crash. It is protecting you from a the headache of a bootloop.

When this happens, the first thing I try is to press the restart button on the popup it shows. If that sends you back to safe mode, dismiss the popup and head over into cydia. Find the last package(s) you installed from the installed tab at the bottom. Click on the button that says "Modify" in the top right. Now click remove and then confirm. Respring after that and you should have fixed your issue.

No you liar! It's still in safe mode! Fix my phone or I'll sue

I've had times where I screwed up this bad and had no idea what I did. To fix this, go into Cydia and find the package "Cydia Substrate" (used to be Mobile Substrate). Click on it and then Modify and then Remove. You should see a super long list of things that will be removed with it (Screen shot this). Your issues should now clear up and you can begin readding old tweaks one by one to find the issue.

I installed a tweak and now Cydia keeps crashing all the time.

In iOS 9, this has been a problematic bug. It happens with tweaks that work properly on iOS, but haven't patched this bug through an update. Hopefully Saurik fixes this from the Cydia, end, but for now, the only way to fix it is to boot up into No Substrate Mode (my own name for it) and remove the last tweak or few that you installed.

Well how do I boot into No Substrate Mode?

Press and hold home+Power buttons until the apple logo appears. Then, release the buttons and press and hold volume up until you see the lockscreen. This disables all Cydia Substrate tweaks. The only way to get back out of it is to turn off the phone and reboot, this time without volume up.

My phone is bootlooping and I can't fix it by going into No Substrate Mode.

Warning: You will loose your jailbreak
Plug your phone into iTunes. Then do the steps below
Press and hold home+power until the Apple logo turns off, appears again, and turns back off. Once it turns off, keep holding for 1 more second, and then release power and keep holding home for 20 seconds. iTunes should say your device is in recovery mode and offer to restore your device.

There's an update for iOS. Should I install it?

It depends on you. If you want to keep your jailbreak, don't do it until a new jailbreak is released, and even then, tweaks may be incompatible for weeks on the new software.

I want to remove my jailbreak for whatever reason. How?

Connect to iTunes. Put your phone in dfu mode (Turn off your phone completely. Then press power for 3 seconds, followed by home+power for 10 seconds, then keep your finger on home and release power for 20 seconds). Then, restore it. No one will know you're jailbroken
Does it just really give you a more custom phone?

Reactions: srsjohn21

Userx12

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2015
Hi, this will be my first time jailbreaking. My question is about when the instructions say to:

2. Restore iPhone as new

Is this a done by erasing all content and settings on the iPhone or through an action in iTunes? The only option in iTunes for restore is the one that will also update your OS to the current version, which I do not want to do.

Thanks

Reactions: Jhon Micheal

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hi, this will be my first time jailbreaking. My question is about when the instructions say to:

2. Restore iPhone as new

Is this a done by erasing all content and settings on the iPhone or through an action in iTunes? The only option in iTunes for restore is the one that will also update your OS to the current version, which I do not want to do.

Thanks
That's from the device, "Erase All Contents and Settings". This is perfectly fine if you are stock and preparing to jailbreak. NOT fine if you are currently jailbroken.

Userx12

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2015
That's from the device, "Erase All Contents and Settings". This is perfectly fine if you are stock and preparing to jailbreak. NOT fine if you are currently jailbroken.

Yes, just using my regular un-jailbroken iPhone. Thank you for the clarification.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yes, just using my regular un-jailbroken iPhone. Thank you for the clarification.
I updated my earlier post to reflect this. Unfortunately I can't fix the quote in Post #1. Thanks for bringing this up. I should have been more clear when writing that.

Reactions: Userx12
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.