Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
So, for me, my computer is literally my second most prized possession behind my car.

My computer is also my de facto hub of my household. I do not use cloud storage but for three Excel documents. The computer is my hub for my Music collection, my iDevice backups, and it is my master Photo library. It's my MS Office machine.

So my needs are basic, but the MBP is very important and represents an anchor in my life. It's also a product I just plain enjoy immensely, and have always had the 15" (now 16") size for that sweet slab of aluminum and those wide speaker grilles.

Because I enjoy this product so much, and keep it so long, I am happy to spend a bit more on it, though I no longer max it out like I did when maxing it out cost $3k 10 years ago; I find my lunacy price point is just over $3k, beyond which I question my sanity, so I keep it at that price point.

I went for an i7/32/512/5500M (8 GB). I debated between 512 and 1 TB, even though I knew I'd never use a TB. I'm glad I went 512 in the end, because the computer is completely set up with nothing planned to be added and I have 398 GB free, lol.

-narcan-

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
I don't follow your logic with "Slightly better resale value than BTO," obviously taking the same model and, for example, bumping the RAM to 32 GB + VRAM to 8 GB will increase its resale value a bit since these things can't be upgraded later on.

It's only 'increasing' resale because you're paying more initially. As a percentage of purchase price vs sale price, the off the shelf one is always going to come out better.

Main reason being is that BTO options are going to depreciate faster. 32 gig of ram won't be worth the same premium today it is in 3 / 4 years, so people won't be willing to pay a premium for it on the second hand market.

Can even see this in one iteration, the 2019 15" model highly specced out will take far more of a hit, just because the base models of the 2019 16" have bumped up a bunch of things for a similar price.

Changing the spec based on the fact it can't be upgraded later is fairly irrelevant when it comes to sell, as people are just buying on what they need and see is good value.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
It's only 'increasing' resale because you're paying more initially. As a percentage of purchase price vs sale price, the off the shelf one is always going to come out better.

Main reason being is that BTO options are going to depreciate faster. 32 gig of ram won't be worth the same premium today it is in 3 / 4 years, so people won't be willing to pay a premium for it on the second hand market.

Can even see this in one iteration, the 2019 15" model highly specced out will take far more of a hit, just because the base models of the 2019 16" have bumped up a bunch of things for a similar price.

Changing the spec based on the fact it can't be upgraded later is fairly irrelevant when it comes to sell, as people are just buying on what they need and see is good value.
I acknowledged all this in the part you didn't quote: "Though like any higher-end model, BTO or not, you can't expect to get all of your money back." The base spec will usually have best resale percentage. Even going to the next shelf model (not a BTO config) will decrease the percentage of the initial cost you'll get from resale.

That being said, the resale value (not percentage) does increase for higher-end models, so depending on when you sell it, you should expect to recover some (but not all) of the money spent on upgrades.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
I maxed out everything except I got 4TB and that’s because I do a lot of video work and 3D modeling. I don’t buy anything with the intention of selling it. I’m going to want 64go of ram now and in 5 years. Actual I’ll probably want 128.

Reactions: dead flag blues

-narcan-

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
My previous MacBook Pro (core i7, 16Gb RAM, 2Gb VRAM) sometimes took ages to load certain webpages, load pictures in iPhoto; and also had graphic glitches going to full screen in certain apps like Roon.

I'd be pretty worried if you *had* to upgrade to get a stable computer. The extra VRAM should only really be needed for specific workflows / loads. The base MBP will load webpage and pictures with no effort at all.
[automerge]1575247498[/automerge]
I acknowledged all this in the part you didn't quote: "Though like any higher-end model, BTO or not, you can't expect to get all of your money back."

Ok fair enough, wasn't intentionally misquoting you. Was just adding to the thought about upgrades / resell really.

Also agree the i9 + 1TB + 32gb is looking like the best machine, I think that's what I'm going to settle on (confirmation bias maybe hah). Though arguably it's over specced to, but the whole 16 gb / 32gb seems borderline as resolutions in video and photos increase.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
That’s a BTO. You can’t walk into MOST Apple stores and get > than 16 GB. Sometimes they’ll have a few laying around, but 32 GB’s isn’t a standard config.

Actually, it is. Apple stores almost always carry a high end MacBook Pro in stores. They actually usually keep several of them. I purchased my i9/32GB/8GB/2TB model in store and they had others as well for sale in there in both silver and space gray.

Reactions: dead flag blues

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK
I don't follow your logic with "Slightly better resale value than BTO," obviously taking the same model and, for example, bumping the RAM to 32 GB + VRAM to 8 GB will increase its resale value a bit since these things can't be upgraded later on. Though like any higher-end model, BTO or not, you can't expect to get all of your money back.

Admittedly the 1 TB + i9 + 5500M 4 GB config with 32 GB RAM would be perfect as a high-end shelf model. It's too bad the RAM is still extra, as 32 GB RAM likely will become standard on the 16" in 1-2 years, meaning the value of the 16 GB models is going to drop as a result.
I meant in relative terms not absolute terms. From my observations at least, you don't get much money back on the BTO upgrades. For instance, if you add $200 for that extra 0.1GHz how much of this $200 will you get back on resale?

I understand you lose more on reselling higher end computers because generally people interested in used hardware are more concerned about the price tag and condition than anything else.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
That’s a BTO. You can’t walk into MOST Apple stores and get > than 16 GB. Sometimes they’ll have a few laying around, but 32 GB’s isn’t a standard config.

No that is the advanced configuration Apple provides. It used to be something like Better, Best, Ultimate. And Silver or Space Grey is not BTO, those are standard configs for any of the 3 models Apple offers.

I'd recommend baseline + ram or storage depending on what you need. Most of the recent baseline systems are capable.

I used a base model MacBook Air for graphic design due to convenience, it wasn't amazingly fast but I was able to accomplish most of my tasks, compared to my day to day workhorse iMac (spec'd out) that breezed through everything. Just depends on what you need now, I figure if things change later resell and buy a new one like you would anyway.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Errr.. This is the first time I actually bought the base model. I mean it's more than enough for me as it stands.

I work with Parallels VMs and was wondering if it was even worth looking a the i9.. But at the end of the day I decided to go with the base model at 2199€

iemcj

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
I don't see the point unless you have VERY specific needs, IE you "need" to do fairly high end work but there's something preventing you from doing it at your office/home and you need to do it in other places.

Dollar for dollar an imac trounces a macbook pro. And that's just on specs, not to mention the screen has almost 4 times the physical real estate to work with to maximize productivity.

A high end imac and a "it works" laptop for on the go makes the most sense to me. Every study shows that people are more producive with larger higher resoltuion screens so whether you're doing spreadsheets or you're a videographer and espeically a photographer, it's more ideal to have the imac, then use your iphone/ipad/macbook for the piddly on the go stuff.

-narcan-

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
I don't see the point unless you have VERY specific needs

Personally I can't stand needing to manage two computers. Just prefer to have the one that works in the majority of the cases. I tend to work between co working space, cafes, and home so feel MBP is essential. I had to work on my 12" MBP for a couple days and it drove me insane. At the office have two 5k LG displays, so don't feel missing out on screen real estate when at the desk.

But as you say, of course all depends on your specific work and needs!

Reactions: PROFESS0R

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
There is no such thing as “unless you have VERY specific needs” since every single person has very unique and specific needs in their life and what they are doing with their lives to begin with.
I hear this over simplification / generalization a lot on these forums and find them to be self indulgent and arrogant from the people who post them.

I run a high end photography business in that I also hire videographers to do the grunt work while I direct. If I can take the raw images and footage home and work on my iMac Pro at home then I most certainly do that but since I am a location guy, I am getting deliverables to clients on location half the time.

So I don’t buy “Over-Spec’d” machines, I buy the right tool for the job with plenty of hardware headroom.

In this go round that means I have completely maxed out the purchase of my 16” except for the storage being at 4TB.

I’m just taken aback by some of the comments on here regarding what other people purchase for them selves and how so many seem to be experts at what others want or need, complete self indulgent BS if you ask me.

I don't see the point unless you have VERY specific needs, IE you "need" to do fairly high end work but there's something preventing you from doing it at your office/home and you need to do it in other places.

Dollar for dollar an imac trounces a macbook pro. And that's just on specs, not to mention the screen has almost 4 times the physical real estate to work with to maximize productivity.

A high end imac and a "it works" laptop for on the go makes the most sense to me. Every study shows that people are more producive with larger higher resoltuion screens so whether you're doing spreadsheets or you're a videographer and espeically a photographer, it's more ideal to have the imac, then use your iphone/ipad/macbook for the piddly on the go stuff.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
it takes a while, time effort, to setup a new computer just the way i want.
after that I am reluctant to make changes
would NOT consider selling off the device for a slightly better model.

it is the network around the computer that makes the difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nacho98

user_xyz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2018
Hi guys, my name is Itsedstech and for the past 3 MacBooks I have purchased, I've always over spec'd them for my needs. Lets begin with my late 2016 13 inch macbookp pro, I went all out except for the ssd which I stuck with 1TB. Anyways I figured, spend a lot now and use it for 6 or so years? All I ever really used it for was YouTube viewing, forum browsing, and for some social media viewing as well.
So late 2018 comes around and now I'm a little more into photo editing and doing some work related research here and there and since the toughbook they gave me at work is a pain in the ass I tried using the 13 inch but the screen just can't fit enough info for my needs. So I sell it to a buddy and pick up a maxed out 15 inch MacBook Pro (except for the ssd, stayed at 1TB again), I never imagined id spend so much on a laptop, it cost more than my first 3 cars combined lol. Anyway I honestly would be more than fine with the base model, but something about all that power in such a small package felt awesome, at the time I could swing it so why not? Once again, I made a pact that I would stick around with it for at least 5 years.
And now here we are, late 2019, new 16 inch MacBook Pro comes, and low and behold I want it! would I have been fine with me 2018? of course, but 64gb of ram in a laptop sounds so epic. So I sold the 2018 at quite a loss. but luckily the 2019 costing less to upgrade plus a chase cash back offer, ended up only costing me about $600 to upgrade. Which Isn't that bad compared to what I dropped on the 2018. So now here I am trying to actually make use of all this power. Spent all day yesterday setting up and figuring out how to run a virtual machine, and boy is it freaking awesome to be able to run 2 OS's side by side with no lag! anyway I really hope a redesign doesn't come out for at least another 2 years lol.

TLDR; Bought 3 nearly maxed out MacBook Pros, in the last 3 years. All I really do with them is watch YouTube, and do web browsing. Trying to actually put that power to use now with the 16 inch. I need help :confused:

You're doing exactly as "they" want you to!! :)

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Actually, it is. Apple stores almost always carry a high end MacBook Pro in stores. They actually usually keep several of them. I purchased my i9/32GB/8GB/2TB model in store and they had others as well for sale in there in both silver and space gray.
No. Here are the TWO standard confings you can buy from online or the store. There are only two STANDARD ones and here they are: https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/16-inch

The store might stock some higher end devices, and I guess since those are stocked they aren’t “BTO,” but they are not one of the two standard configs.

happy to change my mind if someone can send me the link to Apple offering three configs.

will wait

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
No. Here are the TWO standard confings you can buy from online or the store. There are only two STANDARD ones and here they are: https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/16-inch

The store might stock some higher end devices, and I guess since those are stocked they aren’t “BTO,” but they are not one of the two standard configs.

happy to change my mind if someone can send me the link to Apple offering three configs.

will wait

I didn’t mean it was a standard configuration. I just meant that you can very easily walk into a store and get a 32GB high end model as Apple always stocks their stores with those models ready for purchase.

Reactions: Pipper99

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Your problem isn't that you overspec. Your problem is that you buy computers way too often. I'm pretty certain your 2016 would still work fine for what you're doing now. Then why did you buy a new one?

I've been tempted to buy new machines a lot, too. Like, every time a new one gets introduced. Even if it is lower spec than my late 2013 MBP (think, new MBA) :) The worst it got was when I was doing some serious development in an office without external screens. I really wanted a 15" instead of my 13". ButI got the job done and then the assignment finished. So I stuck with this one and I can't complain. I paid €2500 and in January or February, I'll have the machine for 6 years. It's working fine and I paid about €1/day for it.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I overspecc'd to 64Gb RAM and i9 (but only 2.3GHz) and 8Gb VRAM. I'm delighted with the machine. I strongly suspect the OS is poorly optimised and higher RAM/ VRAM gives more headroom to deal with this. My previous MacBook Pro (core i7, 16Gb RAM, 2Gb VRAM) sometimes took ages to load certain webpages, load pictures in iPhoto; and also had graphic glitches going to full screen in certain apps like Roon.
What kinda webpages are you loading? Websites like YouTube, The Verge, CNN, Google Images, all load instantly on Early 2015 13 inch MBP. That sounds more like a network issue than the machine itself. If you are behind a VPN, using third party security software, it can certainly affect the load times for a web page. Sometimes resetting the wireless router can help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.