Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Advantages and Disadvantages ?

Which Android phone should I get?

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
No.

Jk. Kind of. If you’re hardcore iOS user, you’ll switch back. But we’d need a bit more info on your history.

But no. Don’t do it. Seriously.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
You all both sound very familiar. :)

Thanks though.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Why do you want to switch?

is there something on android that you want that you can’t get on iOS?

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
tenor.gif

illyb2000

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
I’m in the same boat, have the XR and really leaving towards the p30 pro. Obv the camera and also the EMUI software looks good. Kinda same as iOS but different.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Have you ever done it before? No real harm in trying it out. Could always get an android and return under 14 day cancellation period if you don’t like it

illyb2000

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
Have you ever done it before? No real harm in trying it out. Could always get an android and return under 14 day cancellation period if you don’t like it
I had the s7 edge for about 2 months then went back so that’s why unsure of going back to Android. Loved the phone just missed iOS, but getting bored again. Thinking the p30 pro for the camera but most reviews say the iPhone 11 Pro is better.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
I had the s7 edge for about 2 months then went back so that’s why unsure of going back to Android. Loved the phone just missed iOS, but getting bored again. Thinking the p30 pro for the camera but most reviews say the iPhone 11 Pro is better.
Android has come on a lot since the s7 edge but unless there are specifics you need from android that iOS can’t deliver, I feel you’ll end up back on iOS as android will be like a novelty at first but a lot of people get that bored itch but end up back with an iPhone.

although I’m sure some don’t.......

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Advantages and Disadvantages ?

Which Android phone should I get?
You might want to share a bit of your use page scenario, where do you live, your budget, etc.

Advantages and disadvantages depend on the model of the handset and the OEM. Each Android phone have different features that might or might not suit your needs,

In general, imo it’s not worth paying premium price (anything above $600 USD) for an Android phone. Imo if you can afford that much for a phone, might as well get an iPhone. The beauty of Android is in the lower mid range market, where OEMs are racing to put as much flagship features as they can for as cheap as possible. That’s where it is exciting.

If you’re in the US, your choice is kinda limited. I would check OnePlus or Motorola. Samsung and Google Pixel are overpriced imo, might as well get iPhones.
If you are in the market where Chinese phones are officially available, checkout the offerings from Huawei, Honor, Xiaomi, and Realme. They offer great phones for very attractive prices.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I've thought about it at times..

I'm curious what that updated/modern Moto RAZR might be like.

(I'm an SE user that knows my days are numbered on small phones with Apple)

illyb2000

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
Android has come on a lot since the s7 edge but unless there are specifics you need from android that iOS can’t deliver, I feel you’ll end up back on iOS as android will be like a novelty at first but a lot of people get that bored itch but end up back with an iPhone.

although I’m sure some don’t.......
Damn iMessage and FaceTime ! From Uk and use iMessage a lot.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I didn't go back to Android as I had never been there but about three weeks ago I put my iPhone SE on the shelf and purchased a new Samsung Galaxy S10e. I had used iPhones for personal use from 2008 to now and BlackBerries for work. Over the past two to three years Apple's actions, attitudes and prices have become distasteful to me and I have not bought any of their products. The SE still works well but I decided to give Android a try. While there is some learning curve, with some patience I am up and running quite well. No real complaints so far.

When I look at my SE just sitting there, I can't help but think that it is a beautiful looking product with a classic design. The solid feel in the hand and the fact that it fits easily into a small pocket are also big positives in my opinion. But that ship has sailed. If rumours are correct, the upcoming SE2 will be larger and probably not the same shape as the current one. So, time to move on and a good time to explore the non-Apple world.

To answer your question, "Yes you should". Others will have different views.

Reactions: Breaking Good

illyb2000

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
You might want to share a bit of your use page scenario, where do you live, your budget, etc.

Advantages and disadvantages depend on the model of the handset and the OEM. Each Android phone have different features that might or might not suit your needs,

In general, imo it’s not worth paying premium price (anything above $600 USD) for an Android phone. Imo if you can afford that much for a phone, might as well get an iPhone. The beauty of Android is in the lower mid range market, where OEMs are racing to put as much flagship features as they can for as cheap as possible. That’s where it is exciting.

If you’re in the US, your choice is kinda limited. I would check OnePlus or Motorola. Samsung and Google Pixel are overpriced imo, might as well get iPhones.
If you are in the market where Chinese phones are officially available, checkout the offerings from Huawei, Honor, Xiaomi, and Realme. They offer great phones for very attractive prices.
imo it’s not worth paying premium price (anything above $600 USD) for an Android phone
even the p30 pro?

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
imo it’s not worth paying premium price (anything above $600 USD) for an Android phone
even the p30 pro?
Now? Not anymore.
The questionable longevity of the P30 Pro due to Huawei ban. Why do you want to pay premium for a smartphone that may not get any updates after a year or so? And with iPhone (and many other Android phones) also having night mode, the P30 Pro is losing its value propositions.

Even Huawei themselves gave the P30 Pro a run for its money with the Nova 5T, having the same chipset for around $400.
[automerge]1572568774[/automerge]
I didn't go back to Android as I had never been there but about three weeks ago I put my iPhone SE on the shelf and purchased a new Samsung Galaxy S10e. I had used iPhones for personal use from 2008 to now and BlackBerries for work. Over the past two to three years Apple's actions, attitudes and prices have become distasteful to me and I have not bought any of their products. The SE still works well but I decided to give Android a try. While there is some learning curve, with some patience I am up and running quite well. No real complaints so far.

When I look at my SE just sitting there, I can't help but think that it is a beautiful looking product with a classic design. The solid feel in the hand and the fact that it fits easily into a small pocket are also big positives in my opinion. But that ship has sailed. If rumours are correct, the upcoming SE2 will be larger and probably not the same shape as the current one. So, time to move on and a good time to explore the non-Apple world.

To answer your question, "Yes you should". Others will have different views.
Wait, you wanted SE sized phone yet got the S10e that is roughly the same size as the iPhone 8/11 Pro?

sure. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Now? Not anymore.
The questionable longevity of the P30 Pro due to Huawei ban. Why do you want to pay premium for a smartphone that may not get any updates after a year or so? And with iPhone (and many other Android phones) also having night mode, the P30 Pro is losing its value propositions.

Even Huawei themselves gave the P30 Pro a run for its money with the Nova 5T, having the same chipset for around $400.
[automerge]1572568774[/automerge]

Wait, you wanted SE sized phone yet got the S10e that is roughly the same size as the iPhone 8/11 Pro?

sure. :rolleyes:
I said as the SE size will no longer be available it was a good time to try another platform. The S10e is one of the smallest Android flagships out there. The iPhone 8 is not the latest so not interested in it. The 11 Pro is interesting but at a ridiculous price here in Europe.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I would switch to an Android phone if that is your initial thought.
Just to get it out of your head and to get that brain of yours some rest from all the thinking about said subject.

The advantages of an Android phone is the sheer amount of different companies that produce the phones.
Probably also a disadvantage?!
However, I think that Nokia and Samsung are the only two better Android phone makers. I have a soft spot for Nokia because of their history with old GSM phones like 3310 and whatnot(I get that Nokia doesn't produce much of anything them selves. I honestly haven't looked in a while).
Here in Europe in the 90's and early 00's Nokia was the brand of phone to get. Then came Sony Ericsson. I would perhaps consider Sony as a player here in the purchase of an Android phone.
Asus makes the Zen phone, right? Then that too. Each has their apparent strengths either by volume of phone styles and features or the opposite.

The Android OS is what you make of it. I wouldn't switch right away myself as I have it quite fine on an older(not that old) iOS device. I also use macOS and the "hand shaking" between the two systems is for me the better choice. I use of course iMessage and the clipboard function between all devices I own from Apple; iPad and what not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.