Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, just ordered this laptop. Hopefully will get it in two weeks. Let's share experience and information.

Reactions: jeraldjames

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Congrats on your new laptop, which configuration did you opt for?
As of the timing of the post, you seemed interested in the X1 Carbon and possibly re-interested in the X1E - why did you choose the P53?

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Time wasted writing detailed report not being appreciated.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
There may be lighter weight (and cheaper) power adapters out there, but I would not recommend them. Lighter in this case means low quality internal parts. 230w is nothing to go cheap on.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Trackpad and wifi do not work under Linux out of the box yet :-(

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
What can be done if the only thing I have problem with is the weight? Got back pain after carrying it in less than 20 minutes. Besides the laptop, nothing in it. No heavy AC adapter.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What can be done if the only thing I have problem with is the weight?
A chainsaw will fix it :eek:

The weight is reported at 5.4Lbs compared to 4 pounds of the Lenovo ThinkPad X1E. If you're incurring back pain, then use a different bag, such as something over the shoulder or use hand straps.

Reactions: kazmac

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
That's a pretty big laptop. Mobile workstation or desktop replacement are better terms probably.

I put it in a computer bag I bought for the X1E. It barely fits. It is so heavy that the shoulder strap broke and the laptop drop on the stairs. Fortunately no damage.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I put it in a computer bag I bought for the X1E. It barely fits. It is so heavy that the shoulder strap broke and the laptop drop on the stairs. Fortunately no damage.
I assume, you'll be returning it.

Btw, we're not talking ingots of lead here, the P53 as I mentioned is only a 1.4 lbs heavier then the X1E. If the strap broke for the P53, the odds are high, it would have failed on any laptop.

I'm not sure why you're surprised by the weight, the specs are out there to read, its a workstation class computer and its physically larger then many other laptops. I suspect you're using the wrong bag to carry the laptop as I mentioned.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I assume, you'll be returning it.

Btw, we're not talking ingots of lead here, the P53 as I mentioned is only a 1.4 lbs heavier then the X1E. If the strap broke for the P53, the odds are high, it would have failed on any laptop.

I'm not sure why you're surprised by the weight, the specs are out there to read, its a workstation class computer and its physically larger then many other laptops. I suspect you're using the wrong bag to carry the laptop as I mentioned.

Manufacturer stated that the bag fits 15s” laptop.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Manufacturer stated that the bag fits 15s” laptop.
The X1E (and I assume the P53), are larger then normal 15" laptops. You can't just go by the fact its for a 15" laptop but rather compare the internal dimensions of the bag against the dimensions of the laptop. For instance, I really like waterfield bags, but many of them will not work with my X1E, simply because its a 1/4 inch (or even 1/8th) too small.

The big question is, not what bag will fit, but what if anything will you be doing with the laptop, i.e., too heavy?

Reactions: Never mind

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel...outstanding-thermal-performance.434085.0.html

Thin, light, powerful and with good thermals.
Maybe, just maybe this is the Holy Graal for you Hajime!
There is something weird with this Dave's hands on and notebookcheck article. "Even with overclocking applied, the cooling system is able to keep the CPU under 60 degrees Celsius". - oh, you can overclock 9750h now! How lovely. Dave shows some screen from a game where 12% CPU usage causes 60C, and 20% bumped it to almost 80C ( No idea what the GPU was doing at the same time, he didn't show this part), with CPU naturally maxing out at 4.0GHz at all cores when stressed in Furmark. Furmark CPU test kicks it close to 90C, while my Blade doesn't go above 70C with fans in 'silent' mode. All screenshots shown like some sort of sublime message for couple of seconds only, why not a proper test? I don't believe the hype Dave is creating, looking at him and his facial expression I couldn't help but think there is a guy behind the camera with a gun pointing at him. And I don't believe TongFang somehow started making quality chassis rivaling those of the best manufacturers, it looks similar to their old ones.

But anyway, given Hajime back problems this power supply may be problematic. This is Chinese barebone after all.

upload_2019-9-4_14-41-11.png

Reactions: Queen6

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
The X1E (and I assume the P53), are larger then normal 15" laptops. You can't just go by the fact its for a 15" laptop but rather compare the internal dimensions of the bag against the dimensions of the laptop. For instance, I really like waterfield bags, but many of them will not work with my X1E, simply because its a 1/4 inch (or even 1/8th) too small.

The big question is, not what bag will fit, but what if anything will you be doing with the laptop, i.e., too heavy?

Actually they stated 15-15.6" laptops. Manufacturers usually do not state the max weight that their bags can hold without breaking.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel...outstanding-thermal-performance.434085.0.html

Thin, light, powerful and with good thermals.
Maybe, just maybe this is the Holy Graal for you Hajime!

I don’t care too much about thickness.

I know people got a noisy one. Since mine is quiet which is the main issue, better to keep it and find a lighter bag. Otherwise trap in the loop. Any good recommendation on bag?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hi, just ordered this laptop. Hopefully will get it in two weeks. Let's share experience and information.

@hajime, How's the P53, this thread has not been updated for almost a month. Have you resolved the carrying issues

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like @lisag posted her review of the P53 on MobileTechReview

The bevels look a bit large for today's laptops but overall it appears to be a solid work horse for those who need that.

@hajime, perhaps you can provide some insight

Reactions: Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.