Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I re-run the tests.
MBP 16" i9 8-core 2.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 8GB VRAM
P53 Xeon 6-core 2.81GHz, 64GB RAM, 16GB RTX5000

Cinebench R20

CPU Test: MBP: 3480, P53: 2057 (finished 1 minute later than MBP), MPB Bootcamp: 3201
CPU Single: MBP: 478, P53: 425 (finished 1.16 later than MBP), MBP Bootcamp: 448

Cinebench R15

OpenGL: MBP: 136.97, P53: 173.51fps (finished 4 secs later than MBP. Coil Whine when GPU is pushed as reported by other users as well!!!), MBP Bootcamp: 194.76
CPU: MBP: 1444 cb, P53: 1076cb (finished 7 secs later than MBP), MBP Bootcamp: 1259cb

What do you think of the results? Does the MBP 16" has stronger overall performance?

It seems that the MBP 16" is stronger in CPU performance while the P53 is stronger in Graphics performance. One thing seems to be that although the Xeon has higher base frequency, it does not perform as well as the MBP in CPU, especially multi-core, tests. Is my interpretation correct?

As for fan noise, MBP was louder when running R20. I could hear it from another room. As for the P53, I had to put my ears next to the side of the P53 to hear the fan noise.

Think you need to understand W10 more; 8th i7 Gen hex core 2.2GHz
3103CB (No Taskbar).jpg

For me the MBP's slight increase in CPU performance versus my Asus is nullified by the weak dGPU, let alone multiple other factors. If you don't want your P53, send it to me I'll put it to good use ?

Q-6

MAXiPAD

Suspended
Dec 9, 2019
I wonder if this post was funded by chiropractors, because most peoples definition of the king of laptops would be a MacBook Pro or Windows nearly-as-good-as alternative.. Why? Portability, battery life, practical computing power. To say a workstation is the king of laptops is a lie. It would imply that most people who want the best should opt for it, which is not the case. It's like calling a server rack the kind of desktops due to it's immense power... when in the real world an iMac wins out.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Think you need to understand W10 more; 8th i7 Gen hex core 2.2GHz
View attachment 879285
For me the MBP's slight increase in CPU performance versus my Asus is nullified by the weak dGPU, let alone multiple other factors. If you don't want your P53, send it to me I'll put it to good use ?

Q-6

I heard people saying that the P53 is strong in dGPU but weak in CPU because Lenovo cannot make one that is strong in both in a laptop chassis. Is this the case?

Queen6

macrumors G4
I heard people saying that the P53 is strong in dGPU but weak in CPU because Lenovo cannot make one that is strong in both in a laptop chassis. Is this the case?

Don't know as don't have a P53, equally seems a waste of the CPU if that's the case. Asus is managing it at a far lower cost, so don't see why Lenovo is struggling. As long there's adequate power and cooling should be no issue.

This Asus has a 230W power supply and a solid cooling system. Flat out the CPU is pulling around 70W and GPU 120W (1070), all stock barring a healthy undervolt on the CPU, set up for maximum performance.

Q-6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why bother, you've already owned, returned and complained about Lenovo's quality - I'd not waste any time or effort on the P53

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Why bother, you've already owned, returned and complained about Lenovo's quality - I'd not waste any time or effort on the P53

Lenovo Sales told me that they have fixed all the issues. Not sure if it is really true. At least the P53 does not have high pitch fan noise. There is no Yoga C940 14" or 15" on display in store in my city and I try to avoid returning. In a stuck situation.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Lenovo Sales told me that they have fixed all the issues. Not sure if it is really true. At least the P53 does not have high pitch fan noise. There is no Yoga C940 14" or 15" on display in store in my city and I try to avoid returning. In a stuck situation.
One of the issues you complained about weight and that hadn't changed.

I'm not sure why you keep buying the same laptops (MBP, yoga, X1E, P53) and then complain that it doesn't live up to your expectations. You listed a lot of issues in another post with the P53, yet you're willing to go back? IF you hated it as much as you posted, then find another laptop

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.