Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Guys, my ProductRed 11 is here so really need to order a case. The main ask of the case is that it be super thin and as clear as possible to be able to see the redness. I really cannot justify spending the money Totallee is demanding. Alas, I'm in the UK so some cases not available here, so these are on my short list, but please advise if you can recommend something better.

Speck: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2253855

Speck: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Speck-iPho...MTK99KNR23F&psc=1&refRID=SYQE2JQ0HMTK99KNR23F

ESR: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ESR-Essent...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Ranvoo: https://www.amazon.co.uk/RANVOO-iPh...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Edit:

I also came across this Torras. Not sure if it's the same one mention in this thread: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TORRAS-Cry...07VW6QM33/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Last edited:
Reactions: JAZJB and Bkdodger

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Regarding Totallee vs Speck, as Speck is 1.5mm and Totallee is only 0.5 mm, it means the Speck is 3 times thicker than Totallee?
I think the Speck you’re looking at is the regular clear case, not the single-layer Slim Clear. I posted pics of my phone with the Speck case so you can see how thin it is!

Reactions: scouser75

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Anyone try the Olixar ultra thin?

I’d like to try a Peel, but being in UK if don’t like, or not what I thought, to send back costs and is international only.

Ordered a Spigen one from Amazon UK and it’s too thick on the sides for me, easy returns with Amazon.

Anyway to get a Peel in UK? Totallee is on Amazon UK now, expensive (£29) compared to a lot, but would pay, but above seems to not like it.

Last edited:

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
I think the Speck you’re looking at is the regular clear case, not the single-layer Slim Clear. I posted pics of my phone with the Speck case so you can see how thin it is!
How can you tell how thick a case is?

Can someone tell me how thick the Torras and ESR are from my links above please? There are figures for the front and camera lips but not for thickness.

Reactions: JAZJB

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Thanks for looking into this for me. Unfortunately, after all your hard work and kind advice, it seems the Speck single layer is unavailable here in the uk.

my next best option now is the ESR case as that seems like a totally clear case and it’s cheap at £9 I can use this till it yellows and hopefully by then the speck will be available here.

I’ll also buy a Spigen screen protector.

case wise, you guys know your stuff so, I have a product red coming my way. Other than a clear, what case would you put on it if you wanted a brief change from the red???
The ESR case fits pretty well. It is a little loose around the sides, but not as bad as the Tozo and Totallee ones. It’s very similar to the DTTO which is my #1 fave, next to the Peel, but sadly it comes only in Gold or Blue bumper with clear back, and my new phone is Silver. Ranvoo is also very slim and fits better than the ESR, that’s another one you could check out!

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014

Can someone tell me how thick the Torras and ESR are from my links above please? There are figures for the front and camera lips but not for thickness.
The Torras is too thick for me!

I can’t tell from the Amazon UK site, but usually I look at the specs at the bottom of the description, which sometimes show the dimensions. Others will state in their full descriptions how thin the case is, sometimes measurements are in the photos. The Torras is thicker than the ESR; I bought one for my XS Max and never used it, but I look for the slimmest clear cases so Torras might work for other people.

I noticed the Speck comparison on the UK site doesn’t include the Slim Clear, so I’ve attached pics to show what it looks like on the US site.
C76F155A-D96D-44C6-871B-4A949994EB1C.png
4458C476-BE33-41B6-B8D5-B156CE014CCF.png
EAAAAC4D-A82C-4A57-9C98-F76BB8C9C26D.png

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
REBOOT:
So I couldn’t post any replies until tonight, and I’m getting a little lost in making sure I answer everyone who asked me questions. To summarize my initial post about clear, slim cases, I have tried all the following (these are all ultra slim and CLEAR, except Ainope, which is more slim than ultra slim):

1. ESR
2. Totallee
3. DTTO (clear but the bumper is Gold to match iPhone Gold)
4. Tozo
5. Torras
6. Ranvoo
7. Temrod
8. Speck Single-Layer Slim Clear
9. Peel
10. Bare
11. Ainope

I can currently provide pics for the following:

Totallee
Peel
Ranvoo
Speck Slim Clear
Temdan

I still have the DTTO and Torras, but they’re for the XS Max. They fit the Pro Max but the buttons aren’t lined up. I can show pics anyway, if anyone wants.

Reactions: AppleDior31

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
REBOOT:
So I couldn’t post any replies until tonight, and I’m getting a little lost in making sure I answer everyone who asked me questions. To summarize my initial post about clear, slim cases, I have tried all the following (these are all ultra slim and CLEAR, except Ainope, which is more slim than ultra slim):

1. ESR
2. Totallee
3. DTTO (clear but the bumper is Gold to match iPhone Gold)
4. Tozo
5. Torras
6. Ranvoo
7. Temrod
8. Speck Single-Layer Slim Clear
9. Peel
10. Bare
11. Ainope

I can currently provide pics for the following:

Totallee
Peel
Ranvoo
Speck Slim Clear
Temdan

I still have the DTTO and Torras, but they’re for the XS Max. They fit the Pro Max but the buttons aren’t lined up. I can show pics anyway, if anyone wants.

Thank JAZJB!

So, out of all these, what’s your top 1,2,3 choices for thinnest, clearest all TPU?

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
You’re welcome!! ??? The Peel is the best, but it’s not crystal clear like the other cases. I didn’t think this would be a prob for ppl who have gold or green/black phones; I have the silver so I don’t notice any interference with the white back color, and the sides are clearly silver. I literally don’t see it on my phone, I forget it’s there when I’m using my phone, and dang, it just feels so amazing to hold! Next to my old DTTO case for my Gold Xs Max, Peel gives me the most natural grip and I never feel like I’m going to drop my phone or that it’ll slip through my hands!

Is the Peel all TPU? It doesn’t say on the description page.

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Thank JAZJB!

So, out of all these, what’s your top 1,2,3 choices for thinnest, clearest all TPU?
You’re welcome!! My top 3:
1. PEEL - I am so in love with this case!
2. Speck Single layer - no verdict on the “fake” Speck issue yet, but if it isn’t Speck, I don’t care because it’s my next fave after Peel!
3. Since I can’t say DTTO due to the lack of a totally clear version, I’d say Ranvoo because it’s slim and hugs the phone well. It has a slightly higher lip over the screen which I normally don’t like, but it doesn’t make the phone feel any wider.
Hope this helps!!

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Is the Peel all TPU? It doesn’t say on the description page.
You’re right, it’s not listed on Amazon, either. It has to be some TPU blend, tho, because the case is soft and non-slip but also firmer. It’s not as easy to remove the case as regular TPU, which I like because there are no air gaps which could interfere with its protection!

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
You’re right, it’s not listed on Amazon, either. It has to be some TPU blend, tho, because the case is soft and non-slip but also firmer. It’s not as easy to remove the case as regular TPU, which I like because there are no air gaps which could interfere with its protection!

Once again, thanks for all your feedback. One last question. Difference between the Peel and the Totalee. From everything I’m reading, they are absolutely identical (seen that statement in both professional reviews and in Amazon reviews). I see you purchased both, but didn’t include the Totalee in your top 3 considering the Peel is your #1. Did you notice a difference? Thoughts on these two in comparison? Both are priced exactly the same at $29.

totallee Clear iPhone 11 Pro Case, Thin Cover Ultra Slim Minimal - for Apple iPhone 11 Pro (2019) (Transparent) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XQLXYT7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_bURKDbC6HGANF

PEEL Ultra Thin iPhone 11 Pro Case, Clear - Minimalist Design | Branding Free | Protects and Showcases Your Apple iPhone 11 Pro https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XR5XVFW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_HURKDbVY22X6D

Recent review saying they are identical:

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Once again, thanks for all your feedback. One last question. Difference between the Peel and the Totalee. From everything I’m reading, they are absolutely identical (seen that statement in both professional reviews and in Amazon reviews). I see you purchased both, but didn’t include the Totalee in your top 3 considering the Peel is your #1. Did you notice a difference? Thoughts on these two in comparison? Both are priced exactly the same at $29.

totallee Clear iPhone 11 Pro Case, Thin Cover Ultra Slim Minimal - for Apple iPhone 11 Pro (2019) (Transparent) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XQLXYT7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_bURKDbC6HGANF

PEEL Ultra Thin iPhone 11 Pro Case, Clear - Minimalist Design | Branding Free | Protects and Showcases Your Apple iPhone 11 Pro https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XR5XVFW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_HURKDbVY22X6D

Recent review saying they are identical:
That’s what I thought, too, so I was extremely disappointed when I got it and found it was thicker than I expected, and it was loose on the sides. I pasted my original comparison of all the cases I tried below:

1) Totallee: Not as thin as I expected. The sides are loose, which makes holding/using the phone uncomfortable. Doesn’t feel “premium” for the price, the hype is not real, so I’m returning it.

2) Speck Single-layer clear case (not to be confused with the dual-layer clear which is much thicker). It’s thinner than Totallee clear, feels great to hold, and has a snug fit. Who knew Speck could make such a thin case! I def’n recommend it.

3) Ranvoo: Similar to the Speck but the TPU is thicker. Still looks and feels slim on my phone, but I prefer the Speck.

4) Bare: Absolutely HORRIBLE case! It’s as thin as they come, but I went though 3 of them on my XS Max because they ALL cracked on the bottom corners within 2 months. The plastic is cheap and flimsy, all 3 cases WARPED and had the rainbow effect, so a total ripoff for the high price.

5) DTTO on Amazon: This has been my favorite case! Used it on my XS Max for 6 months, hasn’t yellowed at all, I’ve dropped my phone more times than I can count and the case is still going strong. Only prob is it only comes in clear with gold or blue around the bumper, and my Pro Max is Silver. Had the Gold XS Max and DTTO matches that gold to perfection. Hoping they make a Silver or all-clear version.

6) Torras: waaaay too thick, total pass.

7) Tozo: Almost identical to DTTO, but the sides are really loose so I don’t recommend.

8) ESR: Also almost identical to DTTO, but it yellowed in just a couple months and was full of scratches. They’re cheap enough to replace, but the DTTO is better overall.

9) Ainope: Very very thick, I don’t consider this an ultra thin case.

10) THE WINNER: Peel Super-Thin Clear and Peel Super-Thin Color case. Next to the DTTO case, this is the BEST one I’ve tried! I even like their colored cases because they’re made from the same grippy material as the clear. So snug around the phone, it’s even a little hard to remove it! None of my slim cases fit this well, and it has the most natural, comfortable feel on my phone. Not sure about the longevity yet, but it def’n feels premium. Hope my 2 cents helps

AppleDior31

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
That’s what I thought, too, so I was extremely disappointed when I got it and found it was thicker than I expected, and it was loose on the sides. I pasted my original comparison of all the cases I tried below:

1) Totallee: Not as thin as I expected. The sides are loose, which makes holding/using the phone uncomfortable. Doesn’t feel “premium” for the price, the hype is not real, so I’m returning it.

2) Speck Single-layer clear case (not to be confused with the dual-layer clear which is much thicker). It’s thinner than Totallee clear, feels great to hold, and has a snug fit. Who knew Speck could make such a thin case! I def’n recommend it.

3) Ranvoo: Similar to the Speck but the TPU is thicker. Still looks and feels slim on my phone, but I prefer the Speck.

4) Bare: Absolutely HORRIBLE case! It’s as thin as they come, but I went though 3 of them on my XS Max because they ALL cracked on the bottom corners within 2 months. The plastic is cheap and flimsy, all 3 cases WARPED and had the rainbow effect, so a total ripoff for the high price.

5) DTTO on Amazon: This has been my favorite case! Used it on my XS Max for 6 months, hasn’t yellowed at all, I’ve dropped my phone more times than I can count and the case is still going strong. Only prob is it only comes in clear with gold or blue around the bumper, and my Pro Max is Silver. Had the Gold XS Max and DTTO matches that gold to perfection. Hoping they make a Silver or all-clear version.

7) Tozo: Almost identical to DTTO, but the sides are really loose so I don’t recommend.

8) ESR: Also almost identical to DTTO, but it yellowed in just a couple months and was full of scratches. They’re cheap enough to replace, but the DTTO is better overall.

10) THE WINNER: Peel Super-Thin Clear and Peel Super-Thin Color case. Next to the DTTO case, this is the BEST one I’ve tried! I even like their colored cases because they’re made from the same grippy material as the clear. So snug around the phone, it’s even a little hard to remove it! None of my slim cases fit this well, and it has the most natural, comfortable feel on my phone. Not sure about the longevity yet, but it def’n feels premium. Hope my 2 cents helps

I found this dtto case when searching on amazon. I wonder if it’s like the one you mentioned but without the gold or blue sides:

DTTO iPhone 11 Pro Max Case, Anti-Scratch Shock Absorption Case Hard PC Clear Cover Case for 2019 Apple iPhone 6.5 Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WYY5CDW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.6TKDbZ6RE954

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008

Is this the Ranvoo you mentioned? It’s the only one for the 11 but it looks like a hard shell on the back!

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
T
I found this dtto case when searching on amazon. I wonder if it’s like the one you mentioned but without the gold or blue sides:

DTTO iPhone 11 Pro Max Case, Anti-Scratch Shock Absorption Case Hard PC Clear Cover Case for 2019 Apple iPhone 6.5 Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WYY5CDW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.6TKDbZ6RE954
That’s the same brand, but this is their hard shell case which I never tried. They have a Silicone case called “Love” line or something, but I found that one to be slippery.
[automerge]1569950640[/automerge]
Is this the Ranvoo you mentioned? It’s the only one for the 11 but it looks like a hard shell on the back!
No, the Ranvoo is all soft TPU and very thin and grippy!

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
T

That’s the same brand, but this is their hard shell case which I never tried. They have a Silicone case called “Love” line or something, but I found that one to be slippery.
[automerge]1569950640[/automerge]

No, the Ranvoo is all soft TPU and very thin and grippy!
Why oh why does the uk not have so many cases!!!!

looks like I’ll go for the ESR... if I end up keeping my red 11.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
So, I broke down and bought the ESR, the Ranvoo and the Totallee. Mine is a 11Pro, not a Max, so not sure how much of a difference that makes in comparison, but here’s my thoughts. Also, how I tested the screen lip clearance was as follows. I put the case on, then grabbed a credit card/gift card I had laying around. I turned the screen off, and held the phone up to the light, so one end was pointing at my head just below my eye line, and the other end pointing at the light. I then take the card, and stand it up perpendicular across the screen of the phone, so the ends of the credit card are resting on the lip of each side of the case. I then look to see how much light is coming in under the card. If more light is coming in, then the lip is higher off the screen. If little to no light is coming in under the card, then the lip doesn’t extend up higher than the screen. I also test the camera lip similarly, but instead of looking for light, I’m looking to see if any part of the cameras catch on the bottom of the card, as I slide the card back and forth across the camera lip.

On the Totallee, I don’t have issues with loose sides. It’s definitely the slimmest of the three, and feels thinner, but still good on my 11Pro. Good grip. Very, very small lip extending over the screen. Almost doesn’t extend over the screen in some spots, as i ran into points where there was no light at all shining under the card (See pic A). For the camera lip, it’s very close too, but no catching, so it just clears.

Next is the Ranvoo. A little thicker, but not much. Slightly tackier grip than the Totallee which gives it a slightly more secure feeling, but not too much more and not in a bad way. Slightly taller lip extending over the screen offering a bit more protection, but not too much of a lip (See Pic B), but about the same clearance as the Totallee on the camera.

And finally is the ESR. Definitely the bulkiest of the three (not by much, still “thin”, but definitely more thank the other two). Sides seem to have a bit more padding, which makes it stick out around the edges more. And bigger lips on the over the screen (See Pic C) and camera than the other two. Grip feels a little more slippery on this one.

So my verdict?

I want to like the Totallee for how slim it feels, as it’s definitely the most “minimalist” of the three, but what bothers me is the lip over the screen seems TOO small, so that if I turned the phone face down to decline a call, it would hit on the table and scratch the screen.

The ESR is solid, but feels bulkier compared to the other two. I had the ESR for a full day before I got the other two, and it seemed fine while testing it not compared to anything, but upon getting the other two, I can see how it feels larger and heftier now. Again, it’s still a “Thin“ case comapred to many others cases, but compared to these other two, it’s the biggest in all aspects.

That leaves me with the Ranvoo. I think it’s the best of both worlds. It’s smaller than the ESR, but provides a bit more screen protection. It still maintains that smaller, lighter feel like the Totallee, with the best grip.

And now, I’ll throw one extra money wrench into the mix. I use a car vent magnet when driving, and in order to get the phone to hold to the magnet, I put a thin meal plate between the phone and the case (see Pic D), and then place the magnet against the plate (through the case), and it holds beautfully. But, adding the thin plate makes the Totallee have even less lip on the screen as the plate actually pushes the phone out past the lip. So for that reason, the Totallee is a no go, no matter how much I wanted to like it. The ESR has room to spare with the plate in, and the Ranvoo seems just about right.

So my choice will be the Ranvoo, and the other two are likely going back.

Hope this helps someone else decide! :)

Pic A - Totallee case
163BD15D-0EA6-46A2-92EF-4FC74912974C.jpeg

Pic B - Ranvoo
65212944-A2F5-4E5E-93AD-E25EBD962812.jpeg

Pic C - ESR
521C26A7-7051-47E9-8B45-8753F98F5DED.jpeg

Pic D(a) & D(b) - Magnet plate
0A09FFE1-751E-4846-AD30-923F905DA85E.jpeg

E92BB602-0636-4ABB-97C9-145CFE08EB96.jpeg

Reactions: scouser75 and reebs

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
Regarding the Speck Single Layer Clear case:

I contacted Speck and sent them the link asking if it is their product. They said it is a real Speck case and sold on their Amazon store.

I think where people are hesitant is the way this product is packaged. It was delivered in a generic paper wrapper with no branding. There is no box. Nothing. Just a case in a generic bag in a generic paper wrapper.

The case itself is thin. It does not protect the screen when the phone is face down. The back has micro dots to prevent it from sticking. It is not clear because of this. It shows fingerprint oils as all clear cases do. I have always used Torras Slim Fit cases in black and the Speck case feels the exact same size with more grip. But I couldn’t stand the way it shows oils so I’ll be sticking to the Torras black.

Attachments

• 99E9C6EF-1708-4E3F-B462-871821A5DE50.jpeg
    99E9C6EF-1708-4E3F-B462-871821A5DE50.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 284
  • 4E2162EC-A8BF-45FE-AE68-9CDA3D0DE9D5.jpeg
    4E2162EC-A8BF-45FE-AE68-9CDA3D0DE9D5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 310
  • B1CED129-32C7-4626-B1C0-F39C7175CD14.jpeg
    B1CED129-32C7-4626-B1C0-F39C7175CD14.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 248

rperalta

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Hercules, CA
Regarding the Speck Single Layer Clear case:

I contacted Speck and sent them the link asking if it is their product. They said it is a real Speck case and sold on their Amazon store.

I think where people are hesitant is the way this product is packaged. It was delivered in a generic paper wrapper with no branding. There is no box. Nothing. Just a case in a generic bag in a generic paper wrapper.

The case itself is thin. It does not protect the screen when the phone is face down. The back has micro dots to prevent it from sticking. It is not clear because of this. It shows fingerprint oils as all clear cases do. I have always used Torras Slim Fit cases in black and the Speck case feels the exact same size with more grip. But I couldn’t stand the way it shows oils so I’ll be sticking to the Torras black.
How thin compare to Peel or Totallee? Thanks!

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
is the peel a thin plastic case? I've tried a couple cheap cases that are rigid plastic and don't feel great - and don't seem like they'd protect against anything other than scratches. At that point is it worth looking at a clear wrap for the back/sides and a screen protector on the front? Anyone tried that approach?

Kind of ok with my Ringke Fusion (although I preferred the Ringke Air on my X, they don't seem to do it for the 11). Spigen is decent too - probably interchangable but the Ringke feels a tiny bit stiffer and less 'rubbery' while still having some flex and grip

unknownx

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
I got the PEEL case for my 11 today.

Expensive, took a while to ship, got stuck in customs, had to pay even more tax fee to get it out.
Can only compare it to TOZO and Temdan (amazon)

Worth it? YES

Slimmest case i've ever seen.. People who say "you can always find a cheeper one".. No you cant.. Not this thin ^^

Last edited:
Reactions: flexidexi

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
So my choice will be the Ranvoo, and the other two are likely going back.

So I will say this about the Ranvoo...it kept my phone in tact! After years of buying AppleCare+ and never using it, I decided against it this time. 5 days into having the phone, as I was getting out of the car this afternoon, I had the phone in my hand. As I stepped out, the phone caught the arm rest on the car door and launched out of my hand and landed on the ground, bouncing on it ends. No scratches or cracked screen.

:eek:o_O:D Whew!

Reactions: walds11

rperalta

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Hercules, CA
I ordered the Peel clear case and Speck single-layer case. Any feedback on the Power Suppoer Air Jacket clear case? Thanks in advanced!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.