Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
I've recently been getting this popup as I visit the site:

popup.png

It has come up for me multiple times per session and completely disables the page until you address it. It also tries really hard to make it seem like there's only two options: agree or agree. I've been seeing this type of thing show up all over the web recently, but this one is particularly obtrusive. It's quickly becoming a huge turn-off on coming to the site, to be honest. I have my browser set to delete all cookies once I close it, which I am sure contributes to this continually coming back, but I'm not interested in changing that.

I don't know how many people are getting this, but take this is one person's feedback for what it's worth.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Yep,

Sorry about that. We are required for something like that to appear for non-u.s. users. It's been a pain for all involved.

- If you delete all cookies, it can't remember your selection.
- If you are logged in, it won't pop up.
- If you are sophisticated, you can block "consensu.org" and it won't pop up.

arn

iBrooker

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2016
UK
It keeps popping up for me as well despite having selected and submitted my choices numerous times - why does it keep reappearing? (I haven't deleted my macrumors cookies.) Surely submitting your choice once should be adequate?

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
It keeps popping up for me as well despite having selected and submitted my choices numerous times - why does it keep reappearing? (I haven't deleted my macrumors cookies.) Surely submitting your choice once should be adequate?
What browser are you using and do you have any privacy extensions or apps running?

iBrooker

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2016
UK
What browser are you using and do you have any privacy extensions or apps running?

I use Safari and no extensions.

I have actually stopped coming on to this site because it is so annoying - surely selecting your options once should suffice?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Yep,

Sorry about that. We are required for something like that to appear for non-u.s. users. It's been a pain for all involved.

- If you delete all cookies, it can't remember your selection.
- If you are logged in, it won't pop up.
- If you are sophisticated, you can block "consensu.org" and it won't pop up.

arn
Since I'm not in the EU and thankfully don't have to see that pop up banner, is what is shown in the first post here still the same pop up?

If so, couldn't it be made smaller and less obnoxious to the user? It's looks awfully large and I can see why many members are bothered by it.

jafd

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2010
The QuantaCast banner is a cesspit of dark patterns and is as GDPR-noncompliant as it gets. It’s nothing but annoying.

Examples?

6FE1068F-2E14-4BD1-852A-5D41AA152A70.jpeg

In this picture, you can see that „More Info” is grayed out to hint that it’s disabled and non-clickable. And you in fact need to click it twice. The first time it becomes blue (as if giving up to a cunning user who unfoiled a villainous plan), then you can actually click it.

A0F3DFD7-8F77-43F5-AEC2-5EE7D24942CA.jpeg

Then, by default, all choices are „On”. Which is banned (http://www.privacy-regulation.eu/en/recital-32-GDPR.htm).

„Reject all” is also grayed out, as if disabled. It’s really not, and it turns blue once you click it.

jafd

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2010
I get this effing banner practically every time I visit the site, logged in or not. It's extremely disturbing.

The only reliable way out of this sewer is to block quantacast popups with uBlock Origin, and then make sure ads and analytics are also blocked to smithereens. The reason being, companies annoy you loudly to pretend they comply with the regulations, but there’s no way to tell if this all is just a Potemkin village and those switches don’t do anything anyway. By blocking the ads and any kind of third-party cookies, you ensure their compliance whether they want it or not.

Heck, there’s a recent report about only half of the UK’s companies being actually GDPR-compliant. Everyone was putting off implementation until the last possible moment and then they pooped their pants with the regulations being so draconian. No way they would become compliant overnight.

And then there are US companies which don’t understand the problem the regulation seeks to solve — even after the Equifax breaches — and think that to be compliant, you only need an annoying popup on top of another annoying popup about cookies.

sgjohnston

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009
It drives me up the wall too. If you are logged in, it will still nag you, I’ve not found any way to stop it.

As bad as the BBC website ?.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.