Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Just tried it again and now it shows source as Dolby Vision.

That would imply that the source stream changed in format or that the HUD incorrectly read the data. Given all of the negotiations (Apple TV - cloud, Apple TV - television) I'm leaning toward a change in the stream. But that brings up the question why.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
That would imply that the source stream changed in format or that the HUD incorrectly read the data. Given all of the negotiations (Apple TV - cloud, Apple TV - television) I'm leaning toward a change in the stream. But that brings up the question why.

I noticed the second time it switched from SDR to Dolby Vision right at the beginning, must have just been a glitch. Note that this was for Ghostwriter, one that has continued to always play in Dolby Vision like it should. Dickinson and Snoopy in Space are the only other two still playing in Dolby Vision instead of HDR10. All the other shows that should be in Dolby Vision are not playing correctly in DV. Been about two weeks now with this issue. Not sure if Apple is even going to resolve this as Servant is also not playing properly either, which is a brand new show that is supposed to be in DV, but only plays in HDR10.

Reactions: btrach144

HylianKnight

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2017
From what I’ve read it’s still sending a Dolby Vision signal. If you use the developer HUD that displays video info (like frame rate, resolution, bitrate, and such) it shows it sending a Dolby Vision signal. My best guess would be that it’s a bug in tvOS. Either that or there’s something wrong with how Apple is sending these episodes out. I’ve read that people in Australia are at least getting The Morning Show in DV still because it’s branded as The Morning Wars so it’s encoded separately. Not sure if they are received DV for the other shows though.
While still no comment from Apple, the original episodes of See and Morning show are no longer in Dolby Vision either. It’s almost like something went wrong and Apple retroactively changed it to be uniform. The Dolby vision signal is come from the Apple TV itself, but the shows have most definitely lost Dolby vision. The difference in picture is very noticeable. Also, it is still only with Apple TV+ content, so whether it is a bug with the Apple TV or Apple pulled DV from their content temporarily, the issue is Apple’s and should be addressed.
Here is a link to a German site discussing this issue. You may want to run it through google translate. https://www.heise.de/newsticker/mel...gen-der-Hauptserien-verschwunden-4594964.html
[automerge]1575221230[/automerge]
Either the developer HUD is bugged, the Apple TV has a bug with Apple TV+ content, a combination of the two, or Apple has been quietly changing the streams. I think Apple has changed some things. My understanding is that shows that were released in their entirety, such as “Dickinson”, still have Dolby Vision. Shows that are released weekly like “See” have had Dolby Vision removed entirely for, even from past episodes. Whatever the case may be, I wish Apple would address it. If only some media outlet that covers everything Apple would inquire about it... ?

Last edited:

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
While still no comment from Apple, the original episodes of See and Morning show are no longer in Dolby Vision either. It’s almost like something went wrong and Apple retroactively changed it to be uniform. The Dolby vision signal is come from the Apple TV itself, but the shows have most definitely lost Dolby vision. The difference in picture is very noticeable. Also, it is still only with Apple TV+ content, so whether it is a bug with the Apple TV or Apple pulled DV from their content temporarily, the issue is Apple’s and should be addressed.
Here is a link to a German site discussing this issue. You may want to run it through google translate. https://www.heise.de/newsticker/mel...gen-der-Hauptserien-verschwunden-4594964.html
[automerge]1575221230[/automerge]
Either the developer HUD is bugged, the Apple TV has a bug with Apple TV+ content, a combination of the two, or Apple has been quietly changing the streams. I think Apple has changed some things. My understanding is that shows that were released in their entirety, such as “Dickinson”, still have Dolby Vision. Shows that are released weekly like “See” have had Dolby Vision removed entirely for, even from past episodes. Whatever the case may be, I wish Apple would address it. If only some media outlet that covers everything Apple would inquire about it... ?
How could the developer hud be bugged if my TV also claims it's displaying HDR and not DV? Seems like an issue with the files that Apple is offering up.

Reactions: JasonHB

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
I’m not getting DV on The Morning Show anymore despite it being advertised as such.

The first couple of episodes were and then it’s stopped.

It is just playing back in HDR10 now. Most disappointing

Jason

Reactions: btrach144

JarvisMeier

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2009
There’s a long long reddit thread with people bringing up missing Dolby Vision streams. Many people mentioned DV scenes that would look like a film negative then switch back to normal. This makes me think that whomever encoded or mastered the DV streams borked up bad.

That being said DV was the only thing that made AppleTV+ worth paying for. With only standard HDR being offered why wouldn’t I just torrent the content?

Reactions: matrix07

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
HDR is back on Roku for newest For All Mankind episode, haven’t checked the previous ones yet. No DV in sight though :/

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
As of tonight, I am finally getting Dolby Vision on all the shows that are supposed to have it on my Apple TV 4K. Hopefully it stays this way this time.

chugg

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
Do you guys notice a big difference between Dolby vision and HDR10?

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
I realize this thread is a bit old now, but I just wanted to update that DV is back on everything that supports it and is now working on my Roku TV!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.