Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I have to admit, this an intriguing idea.

Anyone use/have this? My laptop's GPU isn't the best but its somewhat capable (1050Ti)

My initial knee jerk reaction is "yet another subscription service". I was down on Apple's game pass, but this one seems a better fit for me. for instance, I can get Outerworlds, and play that, instead of dropping 60 bucks or Gears 5 (this may push my system too much).

Since I am on a laptop, its limited hardware definitely needs to be considered.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I decided to take the plunge the first month is only a buck.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Assuming you don't already have an Xbox account you want to use for Game Pass, you should set up a fresh account and pre-load it with Xbox Live Gold. I think you can have up to three years' worth. Then if you activate the $1 trial, it will convert all of your remaining Gold sub into a Game Pass sub.

If you use 12 month codes from a key reseller it works out very cheap. Three years of Gold would be, say $120, then for $1 you can upgrade that to a sub that normally costs $15 per month. I assume you can only do it once, so maxing it out to begin with makes it an amazing deal, even if you only try two or three games per year.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Game Pass for PC is a hell of a deal. I've taken advantage of the $1 deal a couple of times, but I have used Microsoft Rewards in the past for Xbox Game Pass. Hopefully Game Pass for PC will be a reward option for MS Rewards once it is out of beta. The fact that you get every single Microsoft game included in the sub is great, but there are a lot of third party games as well.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I decided to take the plunge the first month is only a buck.
I’m curious, how do you like it so far (i know though it’s only been a couple weeks, lol). I’ve been torn on trying it, and I want to say for Black Friday they had a 3 month deal for $1.

My main hesitation is I’m tired of everything and the kitchen sink being a subscription model, but I must say XBOX Pass on PC does seem a tempting idea.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I’m curious, how do you like it so far (i know though it’s only been a couple weeks, lol). I’ve been torn on trying it, and I want to say for Black Friday they had a 3 month deal for $1
I'm playing outer worlds and its been great for that - in fact, I prefer this over the PS4 (specifically for the outer worlds).

I just installed gears 5, I'm not so sure about this game, but given the premise that I can play any game (within the catalog) for that small fee, I'm liking it so far

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I signed up for the $1 offer - so I could play Outer Worlds and Gears 5. I’ve bought some other games on steam that I liked on Play.

The service is good but number of games is limited - just over 100. Amongst that, there aren’t very many games I like playing but YMMV.

There’s definitely potential. Need more games.

tyc0746

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2019
Liverpool, UK
I took advantage of the $1/£1 conversion of remaining balance of Xbox Live to GamePass Ultimate...but I made sure I extended my Xbox Live subscription to 36 months before I did - so I now have 36 months of GamePass Ultimate.

I run mine in W10 bootcamp on an iMac 21.5 4k with Vega 20 card, and most games will happily run 1080 at 60fps in Ultra settings, or 2160 at 30-40fps in Medium/High settings.

Well worth it for what I paid, but I have noticed that whilst most games are available on both platforms, not all share game saves/progress/achievements - so you can't (for example) play Rise of Tomb Raider on the iMac and then switch to the Xbox at a friend's house.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Is my understanding correct that a game pass allows you to rent any game on the service, install it on your computer, and play it as long as you subscribe? I wonder what kind of restrictions it has in general and, if any regarding mods?

I know the games I really like, I play for a long time. I like ownership. I have bought many pre-release games on Steam for $20-30, that I own forever and may play them off and on for years, Ark Survival Evolved, Conan Exiles, Fallout 4, Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Skyrim. The last 3 titles were $50 games.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Is my understanding correct that a game pass allows you to rent any game on the service, install it on your computer, and play it as long as you subscribe? I wonder what kind of restrictions it has in general and, if any regarding mods?
With the install of the halo master chief I also have the ability to use the one with with mods
1576086389772.png

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.