Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook and a group of other CEOs, including Google's Sundar Pichai and Microsoft's Satya Nadella, have jointly signed a letter urging the Trump administration to keep the United States a member of the Paris Agreement.

apple-environment-800x434.jpg

The Paris Agreement aims to combat climate change by keeping the global temperature rise this century well below 2ºC above pre-industrial levels. The United States was one of over 190 countries to pledge support for the Paris Agreement in 2015, under the Obama administration, but the Trump administration is in the process of formally exiting the agreement due to economic concerns.

Cook and the other CEOs who signed the letter believe the Paris Agreement could actually provide a boost to the economy.

"Staying in the Paris Agreement will strengthen our competitiveness in global markets, positioning the United States to lead the deployment of new technologies that support the transition, provide for our workers and communities, and create jobs and companies built to last," the letter states.

"The promise of the Paris Agreement is one of a just and prosperous world. We urge the United States to join us in staying in."

The letter was prepared by AFL-CIO, the largest federation of unions in the United States, representing more than 12.5 million working people in the country. Visit the United For The Paris Agreement website for more details.

Humanity has never faced a greater or more urgent threat than climate change -- and it's one we must face together. Apple will continue our work to leave the planet better than we found it and to make the tools that encourage others to do the same. https://t.co/26sTnleNep - Tim Cook (@tim_cook) December 2, 2019

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Political News forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Tim Cook and Other CEOs Urge U.S. Government to Stay in Paris Agreement to Fight Climate Change

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
I'm not sure how staying in the Paris Accords fixes climate change/global warming/whatever.

It's all just symbolism and virtue signaling.

Tim, call on China to fix their carbon issue. India as well.

Often, so-called ‘symbolism’ motivates many to act or ... not act. So much of what moves human behavior is what you would probably call ‘symbolism’.

Why bother to stand up and look at the flag during the national anthem? After all, thats just symbolism.

Last edited:

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
What about Apple products being somewhat more renewable by users. You know, non glued RAMs and SSDs. It’s billions of devices built to go to the “trash can” in shiny ways as soon as possible. All are at it, yet Apple should be a role model and reverse the trend that started with a technical necessity, suspiciously so today.

Anyway, I do genuinely share their overall concerns because when climate change hits the fan forget about economic growth, the talk will be about survival.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
What about Apple products being somewhat more renewable by users. You know, non glued RAMs and SSDs. It’s billions of devices built to go to the “trash can” as soon as possible. All are at it, yet Apple should be a role model and reverse the trend that started with a technical necessity, suspiciously so today.

Anyway, I do genuinely share their overall concerns because when climate change hits the fan forget about economic growth, the talk will be about survival.
When is it going to hit the fan? Like it was supposed to in the early 1900s? Like it was supposed to in the mid-late 1900s? Like it was supposed to early 2000s? Like it was supposed to early this decade? Tell me, what is your weather prediction 2 weeks from now? Just yesterday in my area, the forecast high temp from just the day before was off by 15 degrees F!

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
Apple:

-Ignores need to provide options for choosing longer life product with replaceable batteries.

-Opposes right to repair.

-Requires third-party recyclers to shred all Apple devices (keeping replacement parts off market).

Actions... not words.
Very true!!!

The only thing I would adjust is “actions ... and words”.

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
The first thing that needs to change is the way we measure economic progress. For as long as we need to build more and buy more so that a company can earn more, there is no way to get there without destroying the environment. We can only move the destruction from one place to another. Build products that last and in way that we care about people and the environment will take care of itself.

s54

Suspended
Sep 25, 2012
Climate change is a joke and so is Apple for its plea.

The climate would change with or without emissions. There's no stopping it. It's a natural cycle. NASA actually knew this a long time ago. Stop wasting taxpayer money on "climate change" nonsense. Use it to bring back jobs instead and distance ourselves from China as much as possible.

The Paris Agreement is a farce. It is exploited to no end by China and others who couldn't give two ***** about "climate change", let alone heavy smog in its cities.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Humanity has never faced a greater or more urgent threat than climate change -- and it's one we must face together. Apple will continue our work to leave the planet better than we found it and to make the tools that encourage others to do the same. https://t.co/26sTnleNep - Tim Cook (@tim_cook) December 2, 2019

Bold: Oh NO, not that crap from Tim again.
Hypocrite.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Trump will not change his mind. We (=people who really care about the climate) can only hope for democrats to win the next election.
It's probably just lip service from the Democrats, let's be honest. They're not going to fix our problems. But the environment sure is a good selling point at the voting booth!

My dad once said, "Whether it's the left wing or the right wing, it's still the same bird!"

Starflyer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2003
Why? The Paris Climate Accord would still fall short in its goal all while costing the US billions (trillions?)and hundreds of thousands of jobs.

What’s more, even if every country did manage to fulfil its individual pledge, the world would still be on pace to heat up well in excess of 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) over preindustrial levels, the threshold that world leaders vowed to stay “well below” in Paris because they deemed it unacceptably risky.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/12/07/climate/world-emissions-paris-goals-not-on-track.html

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I'm not sure how staying in the Paris Accords fixes climate change/global warming/whatever.

If you’re not sure about something, try reading up on it and educating yourself.
[automerge]1575307522[/automerge]
When is it going to hit the fan? Like it was supposed to in the early 1900s? Like it was supposed to in the mid-late 1900s? Like it was supposed to early 2000s? Like it was supposed to early this decade? Tell me, what is your weather prediction 2 weeks from now? Just yesterday in my area, the forecast high temp from just the day before was off by 15 degrees F!
Yes, let’s wait until it has already hit the fan and is too late to reverse course. Humans are dumb.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Apple:

-Ignores need to provide options for choosing longer life product with replaceable batteries.

-Opposes right to repair.

-Requires third-party recyclers to shred all Apple devices (keeping replacement parts off market).

Actions... not words.

Butbutbut... Tim Apple himself stated "Apple will continue our work to leave the planet better than we found it"!!!!1One!!!

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005

Unless China and India are cutting nothing else matters. We already have declining gas emissions because fracking produces so much natural gas which displaces coal. So...yea us I guess.

Starflyer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2003
If the US hit a carbon neutral status, China and India gains would make it non effective in a few years.

"the U.S. as a whole stopped emitting all carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions immediately," and found that "the ultimate impact on projected global temperature rise would be a reduction, or a 'savings,' of approximately 0.08°C by the year 2050 and 0.17°C by the year 2100--amounts that are, for all intents and purposes, negligible." Under this wild scenario, not only do the rest of the world's new emissions completely replace ours in just 6.6 years, but China's growth alone replaces them in less than 11 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.