Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sartorial23

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2013
Does anyone really think that if Cook resigned that Apple would hire some innovator or disruptive replacement? They are beholden to shareholders and a board of directors who want consistent, steady growth. Apple knows there is no life altering device on the horizon so they are moving full force into services. That is the company Apple is now and will be for the foreseeable future, regardless of who is at the helm.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
It's not really Tim's fault. It always happens when a company grows huge and obese. I must admit, the fairness and sales push of the entire event made me feel rather ill together with no wow factors. And on top of that, here in the UK the prices are now more than the US dollar figures.

I came away from watching the event realising that Apple is only interested in one thing and that's making money from its customer again and again and again. But in reality, that's materialism and if you buy into that, then eventually you'll be taken for a long ride and you'll never be happy with life.

MNotar91

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
Carlsbad, CA
Does anyone really think that if Cook resigned that Apple would hire some innovator or disruptive replacement? They are beholden to shareholders and a board of directors who want consistent, steady growth. Apple knows there is no life altering device on the horizon so they are moving full force into services. That is the company Apple is now and will be for the foreseeable future, regardless of who is at the helm.

I think you hit it right on the head with the services piece. Apple knows their chips are a cut above the Qualcomm chips in competing Android phones. No one else in the market is really pushing Apple to innovate from a hardware perspective. From a business viewpoint, I don't blame them one bit for honing in on services.

HobbesInVA

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2018
Chesapeake, VA
It's not really Tim's fault. It always happens when a company grows huge and obese. I must admit, the fairness and sales push of the entire event made me feel rather ill together with no wow factors. And on top of that, here in the UK the prices are now more than the US dollar figures.

I came away from watching the event realising that Apple is only interested in one thing and that's making money from its customer again and again and again. But in reality, that's materialism and if you buy into that, then eventually you'll be taken for a long ride and you'll never be happy with life.

Apple is the epitome of society's tackiness (gaudy, flashy, showy). There was nothing shown today that entice me to spend money.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This post? Okay - thanks.
Well this post and posts like that.

I have a different view and liked what I saw from the keynote. If I just didnt get the max I would get the 11 pro. Of course if Apple makes good on trade in for the max, I might consider it.
[doublepost=1568144263][/doublepost]
Believe me, the internet is every manufacturers primary source due to outreach and the fact it’s free. They may not listen to everything on it but they certainly use it to test leaks, reactions and demands.
If Apple really used the internet as such:
- Touch ID would be back
- the headphone jack would be back
- people would be able to downgrade to any version if iOS
- phones would be less expensive —plus more

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Depends on your needs

The big changes were always expected in 2020...for me i’m Upgrading as i badly wanted a great camera with night mode...it has better battery life and likely better Face ID with slightly better screen quailty...

For a lot these aren’t needs but for me i will take it. I upgrade every year so for me it’s worth it but for many on a Xs it isn’t.

Wait til next year for those who aren’t happy. That will be where we will see good improvements.

Reactions: jagolden

Complex757

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2016
Innovation has slowed across all platforms. It's but so much you can do at this point besides a massive overhaul.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Since he has taken charge innovation has rapidly gone downhill.

Apple were pioneers of smartphones in the early years. Since he has taken charge the innovation has disappeared. Every year it’s the same old rubbish hyping up features that have been on other phones for years.

Just do the right thing Mr Cook and resign.

I hope he stays for a long time. I like the fact that the focus is becoming heavier on services as opposed to hardware for the simple fact hardware has plateaued. Services are what make Apple’s ecosystem fantastic. The free year of Apple TV+ and the fact that Apple Arcade is available for my entire fam for $5, with no ads or micro transactions, I may actually play mobile games again, as those are the two main reasons I don’t play games on mobile. $5/mo for family is far better than $5 a game to do without ads or in app purchases.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Depends on your needs

The big changes were always expected in 2020...for me i’m Upgrading as i badly wanted a great camera with night mode...it has better battery life and likely better Face ID with slightly better screen quailty...

For a lot these aren’t needs but for me i will take it. I upgrade every year so for me it’s worth it but for many on a Xs it isn’t.

Wait til next year for those who aren’t happy. That will be where we will see good improvements.

Unless you’re tied into Apple’s ecosystem, or you’ve got other compelling reasons to remain on iOS (for me it’s the Mail experience, not on iOS 13, but generally), there are several other options that offer an amazing camera experience. Remains to be seen how good the new phones are in the camera department, but if price is a consideration, I’d definitely look at Android phones.

Your point re 2020 iPhones may be valid - it may be a bigger upgrade in terms of design and new features (e.g., 5G support), but then I can bet they will also increase the price, so the value proposition will likely suffer.

That being said, all things considered, I think this year’s iPhones are a decent iterative upgrade, but as a customer I can’t help feeling shortchanged with the 64 GB base variant.

Reactions: jagolden

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2015
Wondering what people are wanting. Thing is full of innovation has no one read on the photo capabilities? You think that just falls off the truck? This is a premium product and it’s more than just hardware. I don’t know of anything any Android phone does that I want. The screens are nice on a few but they all lack something. Isn’t fair to pick one item off each device to brag about. It’s an all-in thing and I don’t see any device I like more. I tried the Samsung and returned due to Android and it’s crappier integration of everything software related. The best part of Android was it allowed torrents.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Their phones cost more or the same as 5g phones...

Who freakin’ cares! 5g is worthless at this point in time, and won’t be be ‘till 2021. The infrastructure is not there and it’s not something the carriers just throw up on the mast.
So, you’d like your battery time eaten by 5g, be my guest. You actually willing to pony up an additional $30-$40 per month for it? I think you should rethink the value of it.
To want something that at this time has no value other than to be able to say "look, I have 5g" is silly.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
If Apple really used the internet as such:
- Touch ID would be back
- the headphone jack would be back
- people would be able to downgrade to any version if iOS
- phones would be less expensive —plus more
I don’t think those views are accurate of the majority in every instance. Of course Apple use the Internet for research, every company on earth uses it as it’s a huge source. No company is completely arrogant and ignorant to trends and surely you don’t believe Apple deliver what they do by just being so damn right on the button without consumer feedback? They certainly wouldn’t be doing their product launches on the internet if they didn’t think it reached their core users either.

You say the price would come down but Apple have the XR and 11 for the mainstream consumer and the fact they offer that shows they know what the majority of people want. Even their iPad is £399 so I think they are more than aware most people aren’t spending money on their high end stuff.

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2017
Since he has taken charge innovation has rapidly gone downhill.

Apple were pioneers of smartphones in the early years. Since he has taken charge the innovation has disappeared. Every year it’s the same old rubbish hyping up features that have been on other phones for years.

Just do the right thing Mr Cook and resign.
To me, Phill is the biggest scammer/liar.
Just watch his face expressions when he says things like better cpu, display, etc in a smartphone ever.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Have you heard of a saying called future proof?

When you spend over 1200 on a phone you expect it to have the latest features. Just because 5G isn’t available everywhere now doesn’t mean it will be in a years time. Most people keep their phones longer than ever so yes the phone should be future proof.

Future proof, LOL! By the time 5g rolls out with significant coverage, and the dust settles, the phone’s 5g modems will be evolved to another generation.
Don’t believe there were any predictions of 5g in this years phones, just don’t understand the issue. Buy an Android.
My problem is it doesn’t have fold out scissors and a dental pick. Sigh, there’s always 2020.

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
Have you seen the Huawei, Samsung and one plus phones?

Apple can’t even add 5g or USB C to their phones ffs.

1) 5G isn't widespread enough to have its absence felt (yet).
2) I still do not understand why people are so impatient over USB C. Can someone explain this to me? I'm not trolling, I'm dead serious. Lightning seems to be more than adequate.

I agree that Tim Cook is not a great visionary, but Steve Jobs was a once-in-a-generation type of visionary. The only other person who comes close to Jobs in that category is Elon Musk.

Smartphones are super mature at this point. Anyone who is waiting for the "wow" factor that the iPhone 4/5 brought will be sorely disappointed.

HobbesInVA

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2018
Chesapeake, VA
Wondering what people are wanting. Thing is full of innovation has no one read on the photo capabilities? You think that just falls off the truck? This is a premium product and it’s more than just hardware. I don’t know of anything any Android phone does that I want. The screens are nice on a few but they all lack something. Isn’t fair to pick one item off each device to brag about. It’s an all-in thing and I don’t see any device I like more. I tried the Samsung and returned due to Android and it’s crappier integration of everything software related. The best part of Android was it allowed torrents.

It appears the issue is...It's innovation that most consumers are not willing to pay big $$$ for or care for. IMHO, the most innovated features are coming from android based smartphones. I rather have always on display on an iPhone and 1 camera bump with night-sight.

Reactions: Breezygirl

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2015
It appears the issue is...It's innovation that most consumers are not willing to pay big $$$ for or care for. IMHO, the most innovated features are coming from android based smartphones. I rather have always on display on an iPhone and 1 camera bump with night-sight.
And I’d rather have various angle lenses with night sight, water proofing, an integrated ecosystem, better performance, better battery, incredibly better support, UWB and T2 chip, and a much more stable and secure system.

Is there any single other phone that offers as much?

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2015
Does anyone ever need 5g? Do they understand it at all? People think bandwidth is the same as latency.

5G sucks and I hope they manage to ban all of it and go back to using the TV spectrum and not something that requires antennas everywhere.

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
Innovation has slowed across all platforms. It's but so much you can do at this point besides a massive overhaul.
Innovation for :apple: would be to harmonise the whole product lines - make all iPhones / iPads FaceID, make all connectors on MacBooks, iPhones, iPads USB C, remove the headphone socket on all products etc. & please unlock the high res DAC in the dongle if you're going to keep it, it certainly can support it, but that would take far too much courage!:D
[doublepost=1568159744][/doublepost]
UK prices have gone up by £50!

I suppose that’s for the 18 watt charger!.
I'm sure the price of the iPhone 11 has dropped £20 compared to the XR, 11 is £729 & I'm sure the XR was £749 previous.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.